Victorville, California
First Name
Clifford
Last Name
Bennett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YHU
What are they doing with the fenders? Are they modeling the flares and then using the model to produce a layup mold for making fiberglass fenders? That is pretty cool.

goleee33

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Tustin, CA
Member #

What are they doing with the fenders? Are they modeling the flares and then using the model to produce a layup mold for making fiberglass fenders? That is pretty cool.
That's exactly it. They put foam over the stock fenders then shaped them to match the body lines but allow for more clearance. They then make a mold once they are satisfied and then use the mold to make an entire new fender!

PabstBlueSwayze

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Glendale, CA 91202
Member #

Finally some updated.
Suspension is 90% installed. Need to add the Bypass tower and install the bypasses. Bed rack has been fabricated. RTT is a Freespirit Recreation. New fenders and bedsides getting built right now. Can't wait to get it back and be able to take it back out on the trails.

Some trail time before the makeover:

Makeover:

@goleee33 As a future (hopeful) ZR2 owner - what is the brand of the rack you have on the back? Im looking for a low profile rack that can keep a RTT beneath the height of the cab as much as possible

goleee33

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Tustin, CA
Member #

@goleee33 As a future (hopeful) ZR2 owner - what is the brand of the rack you have on the back? Im looking for a low profile rack that can keep a RTT beneath the height of the cab as much as possible
The ZR2 is an awesome truck. Hopefully you can pull it off! It is from Evil MFG in La Habra, CA. They did a great job on it. Fully TIG welded too.

Reactions: PabstBlueSwayze

goleee33

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Tustin, CA
Member #

How do you like your Freespirit Recreation RTT? How do you feel about the quality?
I actually haven't had a chance to use it since I haven't had my truck. Just threw it on to test fitment of the rack before I shipped the truck off again.

That said, my friend has one and the quality was just as good as my other friends Tepui. That is what swayed me to get the FSR tent. It did come with the wrong ladder. I called Casey and he shipped me the correct one that same day. Had it 2 days later. Now I have an old style and a new style telescoping ladder. I'll have the old one as a back up.

I can keep you updated as I get my truck back tomorrow and will be using the tent Father's Day weekend.

Reactions: VentureOverlandCo

PISTOLMOOSE

Rank I

Traveler I

Wilson, WY, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Shrum
Member #

Epic Build! Do you still have the Z71 auto locking rear diff? I've got a 2016 Z71 and wished some aftermarket lockers would finally get manufactured. Heard ARB might be coming out with one, but who knows when.