• HTML tutorial

LawnDart

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Portland, Oregon
Member #

"I'm done... Except for that one thing... Possibly..."

I guess I've been asked a few times to do a build thread, so here's a build thread.

I'll put a little bit of context here into the purchase. January of 2013 I got laid off after almost 4 years at a design agency here in Portland. First time I've ever been laid off in my life. And as such, as a young guy, only 30 at the time I began to panic. How would I make ends meet, would I need to sell my dog for burrito money, is my sperm and plasma enough for an XBOX ONE?! Anyways all real legit stress aside, I entered into freelance, and have actually been more financially stable, made more annually working for myself, and generally get to enjoy my free time a lot more now.

I never invested much in my vehicles, I had an 86 BMW 325i, an 1978 FJ40, and until recently a functional if not absolutely boring 2001 VW Golf 2-Door. So I finally took a pregnant pause, and decided, "hey Me, you've survived 2+ years of professional uncertainty, treat yo self!" "hey, thanks, Me, I will!"

Anyways, so I started looking around and fell in love the the 4Runner. But specifically the TRD Pro in the Inferno. It was THE configuration that to me made me go from a six to a twelve. I've had a Toyota in the past, my family owns a Prius (it gets good gas mileage, and my mother is a saint, don't make me look like the bad guy here!), so it was a natural choice.

Current Mods:

Suspension:
-Total Chaos +2 Long Travel Race Lower Control Arms
-Total Chaos Upper Control Arms
-Total Chaos Rear Extended Trailing Arms and Links
-King 2.5 Coilovers w/ Remote Reservoirs
-King Triple Bypass Shocks
-King Extended Travel rear 2.0 Shocks
-Currie Anti-Rock Torsion Sway Bar

Wheels / Drive Train:
-Hutchinson Rock Monster 2-Part Beadlock Wheels
-Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50R17 E-Range
-Nitro 4.88 Gears
-ARB Air Locker (Front)
-Custom 1.8 Rear Wheel Spacers

Armor / Recovery:
-Pelfreybilt Aluminum Front Bumper
-Pelfreybilt Rock Sliders
-CBI Offroad Double Swing Arm Bumper
-RCI Steel Fuel Tank Skid
-ARB Steel Armor
-ARB Twin Air Compressor + Manifold Kit
-WARN 10K-S Platinum Winch
-MaxTrax Recovery Boards (FJ Red)

Exterior:
-Safari Prototype 5th Gen Snorkel
-Gobi Stealth Roof Rack
-ARB 2000mm Awning
-Factor 55 1.0 Fairlead
-Factor 55 Flatlink-E
-Cascadia4X4 Plate Flipster
-Hi-Lift Extreme Jack
-Shovel
-Scepter Water and Fuel Cans
-RotoPax Water Containers
-WeatherTech Vent Visors

Lighting:
-Baja Designs ONX6 40" Light Bar (top)
-Baja Designs S8 30" Driving/Combo (grill)
-Baja Designs Squadron Sport Wide Cornering Amber (fog lights)
-Baja Designs Squadron Sport Flood/Work (top rear)
-Baja Designs Squadron Sport Wide/Cornering (rear bumper lights)
-Baja Designs S2 Flood/Work (camp light)
-Rigid Industries IGNITE LED pods (underbody lights)

Interior:
-Goose Gear Plate System
-Goose Gear SUV Module (2 Drawer)
-TemboTusk LoadSpotter Fridge Drop Slider + Cutting Board
-ARB 50qt Fridge/Freezer
-Blue Ridge Overland Attic
-Tight360 Tactical Visor Panels
-Custom Made Fire Extinguisher Mounts
-TrekPak Center Console Liner
-WeatherTech Floor Liners

Communication:
-Yaesu FTM-400XDR Mobile HAM
-Yaesu FT2DR Handheld HAM
-DeLorme InReach SE Satellite Communicator
-Iridium Extreme Satellite Phone
-iPad AIR (RAM mounted) for offroad navigation.

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

I drive a Jeep and if anything made we want to buy a 4Runner, it was this post - awesome build. How do your King Triple Bypass shocks work for you and how often do you get to some dicey speeds off the pavement?

Reactions: k9sar and NZ4runner

LawnDart

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Portland, Oregon
Member #

Been following you on IG. Excellent build there![emoji106][emoji592]
Thanks, I'm trying to slowly move away from T4R.org and on to sites like this and Expo Portal, since more of my stuff is trips and less technical. I was in CA a few weeks back and actually hung out with Corrie, and did an impromptu walk around on my truck, and we may be doing a full on walk around sometime soon.

I drive a Jeep and if anything made we want to buy a 4Runner, it was this post - awesome build. How do your King Triple Bypass shocks work for you and how often do you get to some dicey speeds off the pavement?

Thanks, this is pretty much as far as you can take a 4Runner for now. If I can supercharge it, I will, if that becomes an option. I'm already considering a diesel swap maybe down the road.

The triple bypass shocks are awesome, and on washboards even at street pressures you hardly feel the terrain. The bypasses sort of act like sway bars, but you do get body roll up front, it's just that the bypasses catch them as the body sways, so it's that initial roll you have to get used to when driving. But it's very tame on road, and we actually made a Currie Anti-Rock torsion sway bar work for us in the rear, which benefits getting full travel at full droop, and still keeping it's ass planted when on the streets.

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

The triple bypass shocks are awesome, and on washboards even at street pressures you hardly feel the terrain.
I'm going to Fox remote reservoir shocks pretty soon here, while not a triple bypass I expect them to help with some shock fade on long days.

But it's very tame on road, and we actually made a Currie Anti-Rock torsion sway bar work for us in the rear, which benefits getting full travel at full droop, and still keeping it's ass planted when on the streets.
That's interesting, I noticed that 4Runners have droop problems (compared to Jeeps anyhow), even with the solid axle in the rear. I guess that is an IFS problem though.

LawnDart

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Portland, Oregon
Member #

That's interesting, I noticed that 4Runners have droop problems (compared to Jeeps anyhow), even with the solid axle in the rear. I guess that is an IFS problem though.
Front doesn't affect rear, so the two are exclusive. I think we're getting 13.5" of usable travel on our rear setup.

I'd strongly consider Kings, Fox's are good, but my god you'll be waiting 3 months.

Reactions: Jeremiah Johnson

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

Front doesn't affect rear, so the two are exclusive. I think we're getting 13.5" of usable travel on our rear setup.

I'd strongly consider Kings, Fox's are good, but my god you'll be waiting 3 months.
I was referring to the rig as a whole, regarding droop issues. What's your main goal for the rig?

I like King too, but I can't justify the cost for my build, mainly a weekend warrior and vacation exepedition rig.

LawnDart

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Portland, Oregon
Member #

I was referring to the rig as a whole, regarding droop issues. What's your main goal for the rig?

I like King too, but I can't justify the cost for my build, mainly a weekend warrior and vacation exepedition rig.
The kings and foxes are almost the same price. Main goal is having a rig that can be a daily driver, but can turn off the highway onto a fire trail without a single change to the configuration. Basically the point of Expedition Long Travel is to have no compromise in terms of off road capability.

Reactions: kptheprelander

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

The kings and foxes are almost the same price. Main goal is having a rig that can be a daily driver, but can turn off the highway onto a fire trail without a single change to the configuration. Basically the point of Expedition Long Travel is to have no compromise in terms of off road capability.
Agree. I've been looking at the non adjustable Fox's, $1500 CDN. Kings are way past that price range from what I've seen.

NZ4runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling Heights MI
Member #

I noticed the tire on your back rack isnt quite vertical... its tilted. I like that, but when i looked at the bumper on their website it looks like it mounts straight vertical. Did you do any modifications to make it mount that way?