• HTML tutorial

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

Looks like a great time, I am trying to talk the family into a run down the Colombia River Gorge. May be sending a few PMs for ideas, but looks like a great time!

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
Been a while since I've touched this thread, so here goes.

Over Memorial Day weekend, I loaded up the X with a couple of days worth of camping gear and the tent and met some folks from the Overland Bound PNW crew to run the southernmost section of the Washington Backcountry Discovery Route. Unfortunately, we got snagged up and late season snow drifts quite a bit, but the views of Mt Adams and Mt Hood along the way were amazing. Great camping weather, as well.

Thanks for looking!
Love your X ... You are very lucky to live in the PNW. My wife and I spent a couple vacations on the Olympic Peninsula, when we first got married. Flew in and rented a vehicle one year, drove my first X out the next year ... I plan on retiring to Port Angeles (if and when that glorious day ever comes).

P.S. Keep the photos coming, please!

Jhberria

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lacey, WA
Looks like a great time, I am trying to talk the family into a run down the Colombia River Gorge. May be sending a few PMs for ideas, but looks like a great time!
Thanks, man, everything along the Columbia east of Portland is absolutely awesome. Definitely worth a trip with the family. However, if you're going to venture up here, you have to hit the Oregon coast, too. It's a must-see, and you can drive out onto many of the beaches.

Love your X ... You are very lucky to live in the PNW. My wife and I spent a couple vacations on the Olympic Peninsula, when we first got married. Flew in and rented a vehicle one year, drove my first X out the next year ... I plan on retiring to Port Angeles (if and when that glorious day ever comes).

P.S. Keep the photos coming, please!
Thanks!

The Olympic Peninsula is quickly becoming one of my favorite places to simply "exist". You can get from a snowy mountain top to a rocky beach in 30 minutes. You can hike through temperate rainforests and trout fish alpine lakes. If I had to pick someplace to retire (even with retirement being a few decades away for me) it would be the Peninsula or Southeastern Arizona.

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
Thanks, man, everything along the Columbia east of Portland is absolutely awesome. Definitely worth a trip with the family. However, if you're going to venture up here, you have to hit the Oregon coast, too. It's a must-see, and you can drive out onto many of the beaches.

Thanks!

The Olympic Peninsula is quickly becoming one of my favorite places to simply "exist". You can get from a snowy mountain top to a rocky beach in 30 minutes. You can hike through temperate rainforests and trout fish alpine lakes. If I had to pick someplace to retire (even with retirement being a few decades away for me) it would be the Peninsula or Southeastern Arizona.
Yeah, it's a few decades away for me, as well. But, about a decade ago, I made it out there for the first time and put it on my list of places I wanted to live when I retired. A little more than 10 years later and it's still at the top of the list.

flyinion

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Nice looking rig! I actually started out looking at the X's when I was looking at swapping from my base model 350Z to an SUV (yeah I know crazy right?) and one of the couple's on the Z runs I did had a Jeep as well. After lots of test drives of both I ended up with the Jeep but sometimes I wonder if the X would have been a better choice especially now that I'm planning to focus on overland instead of trying to build for rock crawling. Back then I don't think I found a whole lot of rig pics like what I'm seeing here. That really might have had an impact.

Jhberria

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lacey, WA
Nice looking rig! I actually started out looking at the X's when I was looking at swapping from my base model 350Z to an SUV (yeah I know crazy right?) and one of the couple's on the Z runs I did had a Jeep as well. After lots of test drives of both I ended up with the Jeep but sometimes I wonder if the X would have been a better choice especially now that I'm planning to focus on overland instead of trying to build for rock crawling. Back then I don't think I found a whole lot of rig pics like what I'm seeing here. That really might have had an impact.
Thanks! The Xterra is really a much different vehicle from the JK. The most glaring difference being SFA vs IFS. For overland purposes, they're comparable in performance. Extremely technical off-roading and rock crawling, the JK seems to have the advantage over everything else currently available.

That being said, my xterra gets me everywhere I want to go. Also, after 60k miles and scheduled maintenance, it's been extremely reliable.

Jhberria

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lacey, WA
Still haven't gone through and fixed all of my photos yet, it's such a daunting task. Regardless, I wanted to go through and post some photos from my summer/fall trips thus far.

Trip up the Fortune Creek Trail in the Cascades in July.

The Old Barlow Road around Mt Adams in Oregon in August (with @Snowtrout and @Trixter404).

Solo trip to the Burley Mountain fire lookout in August. Best views in the Cascades, I'm convinced (you can simulataneously see Ranier, Adams, Hood, and St. Helens).

Tillamook State Forest with @Snowtrout, @SurfandSnow, and @Beavertonite back in....September?

Reactions: Jimmy P

@llouie246

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Francisco Bay Area
First Name
LouAnne
Last Name
Laflamme
Member #

Greetings! I just stumbled upon this XTerra thread! I bought my 2014 in 2022 after my 1999 Pathfinder needed a new transmission. No mods, just new KO2s. We have a small group within OB located in the SF Bay Area (Contra Costa County and San Joaquin County) and we explore the Sierra and Mendo mainly. Looking for ideas for interior mods for sleeping and securing fridge etc. Too old to deal with a ladder for an RTT! IMG_0077.JPG