• HTML tutorial

TheMcCalls

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Auburn, WA
Member #

Hey all,

New to the site, and to overlanding in general. Was considering getting a Jeep, but my wife and I just bought our first home, and decided a pickup would be more practical.

When I went to look at the truck, the ad implied that it was stock. Come to find out, the dealership put a 6" lift, 20" rims, and 35" tires on it. Who's complaining about free stuff? Not this guy...

Anyway, other than that stuff, there's nothing else that's aftermarket on my truck. I wanted to pick your collective brains on what things we should be looking at buying as we head toward our first true outting. For now it's just the two of us and our two furbabies. We have an overall, endgame vision of the rig I think, but I'm just wondering which things we should get first. Air compressor? Camper top? Winch? Gah... so much stuff. Which are the most important?

Thanks in advance for any input!
-Chris

IMG_0662.JPG

Reactions: Truckerbizz

WJ_Cody

Rank 0

Contributor I

Sweet truck. I've always been a Dodge/Chrysler fan. Depending on the size of the bed and if you and the wife would be willing to sleep in it, a nice camper shell would be an awesome addition. You could go anywhere and not even need a tent.

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

There are quite a few aftermarket options for the 09+ rams. Depending on where you're located either a camper shell and sleeping platform in the back or a RTT on a cage over the bed would be my first thing to do. But before that definitely get recovery gear. Winch, trac pads, straps, snatch blocks, all the gear in the world wont help you if youre stuck and dont have any recovery tools! Truck looks great though!

Reactions: TheMcCalls

TheMcCalls

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Auburn, WA
Member #

There are quite a few aftermarket options for the 09+ rams. Depending on where you're located either a camper shell and sleeping platform in the back or a RTT on a cage over the bed would be my first thing to do. But before that definitely get recovery gear. Winch, trac pads, straps, snatch blocks, all the gear in the world wont help you if youre stuck and dont have any recovery tools! Truck looks great though!
Thanks!

I'm not sure RTT is ever gonna be a thing for us. Not only am I 6'7", but we always bring our 2 dogs with us when we go camping. Not sure if there is an option available that would work for us. For now, it's a 2 room pop up tent, air matress and a huge queen sized 0 degree rated sleeping bag.

Recovery gear for sure though, yep.

J. Ownby

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Auburn, Washington
Member #

Check out CVT tents down in Bend, OR. All their tents are standard 96" in length. Depending on your mounting setup, the 4 leggers can sleep in the bed of the truck under your tent/awning and be just fine.

Teague

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fairview, TN
Member #

That is a good looking truck. Match the chrome to the color of the wheels with some bed liner and you'll be good.