Launch Member

Member III

Warren, New Hampshire, United States
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Seaverson
Member #

In honor of finally making the last payment :smile:, I decided it was time to post a build thread. Just finished installing some ditch lights and a switch panel, now currently bedlining the lights covers (NH law requires covers).
20200414_141157.jpg
2014 Brilliant Silver Nissan Xterra S "ZOMBIE HUNTER"

MODS:

Armor:

Hefty Fabworks Aluminum Winch Bumper (with Fog Light Brackets)
P&P Engineering Level III Sliders
Nisstec Shock Skids (Black)
Shrockworks Diff Cover (Silver)
Hefty Fabworks & Shrockworks Steel Skids
MaxTerra Rear Tire Swing (w/ dual Jerry Can Mounts)

Exterior:
Bedlined Front Grille (Black)
Bedlined Emblems Front and Rear (OD Green)
Viggs Design Hood Blackout
OEM Fog Lights (w/ Stalk)
20 Inch Auxbeam Dual Row LED Light (OD Green bedlined covers)
2 X 3 Inch Auxbeam LED Pods (OD Green bedlined covers)
Garvin Wilderness Roof Rack
Raingler DepHep Roof Net (OD Green)
Gobi Rear Ladder (passenger side)
Hood Strut Lift Kit (Navaro)
Rear Hatch Strut Kit (McMaster 175lb.)
Front Seat Headrest Grab Handles (Red)
Removed OEM Mudguards
Smittybilt XRC 9500 lb. Winch.

Interior:
Paracorded All handles (OD Green)
Raingler Mini Cargo Net (OD Green)
DepHep Rear MOLLE Panel
Maglight Mounted (Driver Side on Shifter)
Custom Rear Cargo Rack (Made from hitch Cargo Carrier)
Auxbeam 8-switch Panel
Cobra CB

Wheel/Tires:
285/75/R16 BFG KO2s
Stock S 16” Wheels

Engine/Exhaust/Drivetrain:
Volant Closed Airbox
XTP Intake Manifold Spacer

Suspension:
PRG Xterra ACP Plus Lift Kit (2.5 inch)
Radflo Extended Front Coilovers and Rear Shocks (600lb.)
SPC UCA
Dual Leaf AAL
PRG U-Bolt Flip Kit
PRG 3 degree Shim Kit
Rear Brakeline Bracket Mod [working on]
Rear Breather Mod

More Photos:
20200414_141254.jpg20200414_141059.jpg20200414_133706.jpg20200414_133747.jpg20200414_134008.jpg

BMFalls

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Charlotte, NC
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Falls
Member #

Great looking build, digging the black decal on the hood, been thinking about that myself on my new 2015 pro-x.

RebelAtHeart

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Gill
Member #

This build looks great! I'm taking notes. I'm brand new to overlanding and starting my research to build my first rig. I've got my eye on the Xterra as a platform. I really like it's size to capability ratio. If anyone has tips for hunting down a decent 2nd Gen Xterra I'm all ears.

Reactions: Kilo Sierra

Kilo Sierra

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Seaverson
Member #

Many things going on at the same time.
-Adding a LiFePo4 Auxiliary battery system in the rear cargo tray. (Including a test fit picture with my post)
-Building a rear cargo rack which will eventually be modular with the front seats down. Will probably rebuild to a sleeping platform eventually.
-New upgraded 270A Rugged Rocks Alternator on order. More powah!
-Timbren Rear Bumpstops soon to be installed.

Attachments

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
Looks awesome man! Enjoy seeing the Xterra builds! You should check out All Thing Overland podcast/youtube. He has an Xterra and is a great dude to chat with.

zanethan

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor II

Charlotte, North Carolina
First Name
Zane
Last Name
Campen
This build looks great! I'm taking notes. I'm brand new to overlanding and starting my research to build my first rig. I've got my eye on the Xterra as a platform. I really like it's size to capability ratio. If anyone has tips for hunting down a decent 2nd Gen Xterra I'm all ears.
It’s getting harder and harder to find clean ones. Also the cat appears to be out of the bag about the X’s capability and prices are rising. I’d hop on TheNewX.com and watch the classifieds there also there are several FB groups, Xterra and Frontier Yard Sale is one of the more active ones. Do some research on SMOD for automatics (impacts 2005-2010 years) and timing chain guides (2005-2010 as well). Aside from those well documented issues the X is a good base platform and in stock form will surprise a lot of people. Try to find one from a private party with less than 125k and good maint records and it’ll easily make it to 250k. I considered switching platforms after my 2011 was totaled but couldn’t bring myself to do it (Jeeps and Toyota’s are too expensive relative to what you get imo).

OP nice build so far! Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Kilo Sierra

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Seaverson
Member #

Looks awesome man! Enjoy seeing the Xterra builds! You should check out All Thing Overland podcast/youtube. He has an Xterra and is a great dude to chat with.
Fletch is a great guy. I've been contemplating putting a solar panel on my hood from seeing his rig to save roof space. I'm actually planning to add a Viair compressor setup pretty close to what he did.

Been trying to get to see more of his live shows, but I work that night.

Kilo Sierra

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Seaverson
Member #

It’s getting harder and harder to find clean ones. Also the cat appears to be out of the bag about the X’s capability and prices are rising. I’d hop on TheNewX.com and watch the classifieds there also there are several FB groups, Xterra and Frontier Yard Sale is one of the more active ones. Do some research on SMOD for automatics (impacts 2005-2010 years) and timing chain guides (2005-2010 as well). Aside from those well documented issues the X is a good base platform and in stock form will surprise a lot of people. Try to find one from a private party with less than 125k and good maint records and it’ll easily make it to 250k. I considered switching platforms after my 2011 was totaled but couldn’t bring myself to do it (Jeeps and Toyota’s are too expensive relative to what you get imo).

OP nice build so far! Looking forward to seeing where this goes.
I'm planning to either post the pictures, or do a walk around video once I get this round of stuff done.

Reactions: Charles_Alarie

Charles_Alarie

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cotati, California
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Alarie
Member #

Very cool build! I love the cargo rack in the rear. I am mulling over a Maxterra bumper. Do you find it much of a hassle to open and close the tire carrier each time you have to access the rear hatch?

Kilo Sierra

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Seaverson
Member #

Very cool build! I love the cargo rack in the rear. I am mulling over a Maxterra bumper. Do you find it much of a hassle to open and close the tire carrier each time you have to access the rear hatch?
Honestly I've gotten used to it myself. To open it, just pull and it releases. To close, you hold open the latch to clear (with a slight lift to get it on the catch) and then push forward to lock it in place. I'll take some pictures of it tomorrow if I get the chance.

Kilo Sierra

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Seaverson
Member #

Rugged Rocks 270 Amp Alternator in place and upgrading the wiring. Protip: go through the passenger wheel well as it is pretty easy. I'd recommend taking the tire off as well...as I tried not to and it took me 2 hours to try to get it back in without doing so....and about five minutes after I did... ;)

Attachments

prcjeep

Rank I

Member I

Rockport, TX, USA
First Name
Pat
Last Name
C
Member #

Great looking build! My X build has sadly been on the back burner. minor front collision from a red light runner allowed me to get a a new from bumper and winch. Beefier suspension is definitely needed now.

For your XTP Intake manifold Spacer. Did you see real performance gains? pretty simple install?

Kilo Sierra

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Seaverson
Member #

Great looking build! My X build has sadly been on the back burner. minor front collision from a red light runner allowed me to get a a new from bumper and winch. Beefier suspension is definitely needed now.

For your XTP Intake manifold Spacer. Did you see real performance gains? pretty simple install?
Sad to hear about the accident. The good news is that it is minor. Would definitely recommend a suspension upgrade and eventually replacing the rear leaf springs when they eventually start to sag. I'm looking at ordering some Alcans right now.

I wouldn't call the XTP spacer a must do item. I did some research on the Xterra websites (which if you haven't done I suggest it). While I did feel a difference initially from the butt dyno, I think it really just moved the powerband a little lower, but definite gains I didn't see as much as others have claimed. I changed the airbox to a Volant at the same time so its tough to know what did what. Its relatively easy to do but it you decide to...take it really slow and don't force things. You don't want to end up stripping a bolt or dropping something. I wasn't overly experienced with working on vehicles and was able to get it done.

Kilo Sierra

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Seaverson
Member #

Realized I forgot to give a Trip Report on KOAR 2020. Took place in Copper Harbor, MI. Was about a 1500 miles drive each way, but was well worth it. Ran into Fletch from All Things Overlanding and did some runs with a great group of guys. Got to try out Tailgunning for the group and finally got to "beach" drive the X. Already bought tickets to go back next year!

Oh...also stopped in OH to feed giraffes.

Attachments