max.grun

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Turlock, California
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSE
hey guys! ‘19 Cherokee trailhawk I’ll be overlanding and using as a daily driver. This was a covert install I did with my HAM radio today. I spent hours researching online and ultimately created my own way to install radio box. I had to modify the center console a bit with a Dremel to fit the unit but once I took measurements and cut out the section and drilled two holes in the center console for the unit mount. The rest was super easy. I just followed the YouTube videos on how to remove the centersole and figured out my radio unit was small enough to fit in the dead space where that cubby was built in. View attachment 118912
Clean looking install. good job.

max.grun

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Turlock, California
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSE
Thank you! The install was super easy. Only needed a 10mm socket wrench to unbolt the center console screws. A Phillips screwdriver bit and drill to tighten down the mount screws. A dremel to cut a small section of plastic out on the console cubby and some patience haha all in I spent about 2 hours with the install but I was making sure everything was perfect. I have OCD when it comes to gear so I like it nice and tight

Here is the 2 part video I watched for the removal of the dash. If you guys would like I can take photos of my mounted radio box underneath and post them up so you can figure out your mounting options!
What radio did you go with? I got my license earlier this year but haven't put it to much use yet. I am still learning about this stuff as it pretty new to me.

_snakeskin_

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Castaic, California
First Name
alec
Last Name
wallis
Member #

What radio did you go with? I got my license earlier this year but haven't put it to much use yet. I am still learning about this stuff as it pretty new to me.
This radio is for use with my friends who have the baofeng handheld radios. the model I installed was the QYT KT-8900

here is the low pro antenna i have with it. FANTASTIC signal for this radio and it isnt permanent mounting so i can move it as i please, right now i have it mounted to the hood of my car on the driver side

I have it programmed with GMRS/ FRS channels right now as i am still in the process of getting my license. i will be ordering a YAESU FT-7900R and installing that once i get my license. im just waiting for a testing oppertunity in my area because they do them every odd month and the test just past this weekend when i was out of town. I might go take it in the next town over from me if my work schedule allows it though and when i get the new radio, ill be doing an in depth install for everyone with photos

Last edited:

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

So cool to see a radio tucked in that super-modern dash! Also cool to see a KL Cherokee Trailhawk actually on a trail. Too many people write them off, but they are actually pretty darn capable.

-TJ

Reactions: _snakeskin_

Jdelpercio93

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Youngstown, OH, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Del Percio
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8-SUM
So cool to see a radio tucked in that super-modern dash! Also cool to see a KL Cherokee Trailhawk actually on a trail. Too many people write them off, but they are actually pretty darn capable.

-TJ
Oh the definitely are!! I’ve been very impressed with mine!! A buddy of mine has a YouTube channel where he does some crazy trails in his.. it’s called “Fearless Trailhawk”

Jdelpercio93

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Youngstown, OH, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Del Percio
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8-SUM

-TJ
Oh the definitely are!! I’ve been very impressed with mine!! A buddy of mine has a YouTube channel where he does some crazy trails in his.. it’s called “Fearless Trailhawk”

_snakeskin_

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Castaic, California
First Name
alec
Last Name
wallis
Member #

alright guys and girls, i did another modification!

this one was a very simple as less complex modification. i added the RAM mount system to my dash so my iPad navigation and iPhone can sit up high enough for me to see

i ordered:

1x 5" RAM composite tough- track mounting track
1x RAM mounts X- clip phone mount
2x 1" RAM mount track ball with T- bolt
1x RAM mount iPad mini tablet mount
2x 2" RAM mount double socket arm for 1" ball

here's the break down:
IMG_9301.jpeg

first i had to pop off the screen for the center dash cubby speaker so i could access the hardware to be able to get the cubby out of the dash. (note the holes already placed be cause i decided to take a step by step AFTER i had already started this project)

IMG_9302.jpeg

next came the screws that had to be removed in order to pull the cubby out (its all one piece and there 5 total screws that need to be removed) 4 screws under the screen and 1 screw inside the cubby under the rubber liner

IMG_9303.jpeg
IMG_9304.jpeg

once the screws were removed the entire unit came out and was EASY to handle. i took the RAM mount 5" track system i ordered (took all my measurements prior to ordering parts) and lined it up where i wanted it to go. the first hole drilled i marked with a sharpie so i could drill straight down into the door for the cubby. the rest of the holes i drilled were ace i had the track mounted, going from corner to corner until i had it rock solid.
IMG_9306.jpeg

once all 8 holes were drilled and the screws in place and tightened down it was time to reassemble the cubby back into the dash. all i had to do was reverse the steps i took to get it out!
very simple. the screen cover pushed flush back in, i just took the photo before i had pressed the snaps back into place.

IMG_9300.jpeg

after getting the cubby reinstalled, i added my accessories that i have for now to the track system and got them positioned to where i wanted them.

IMG_9307.jpeg

the best part is.......... i can still use that cubby for storage if need be! I'm planning on putting some kind of power source inside the cubby for my navigation accessories in the near future, under the cubby is a HUGE open space where the cars head unit sits but there is a ton of free space to run wiring and put USB outlets into the area with no other modification to the dash.

IMG_9309.jpeg

THANKS for following along on this modification adventure with me! i hope for those of you who are hesitant to do this, won't anymore! its a very simple mod for a hell of a lot better mounting solutions that the magnet mounts everyone likes to start out with :P
please don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have about this. i love helping others and figured why not make a DIY how to on this project since the last one with the radio i forgot to take photos

also, these were the ONLY tools needed to accomplish this project.

1x drill bit accommodating the screws you intend to use
1x electric drill
2x philips screwdriver (i used two. one long for the cubby screw and the short for the back screws near the interior side of the window)
1x flathead screwdriver (to pop the snaps for the speaker screen on the cubby)
1x wrench to tighten down the nuts i used for my screws
1x harbor freight variety pack of screws and nuts i use for ALL my projects that do not include mounting hardware
IMG_9310.jpeg

Gilligan

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Norton, Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Daxton
Last Name
Tarantino
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Gilligan
Glad I found this you have all got some great ideas going.
I have a 2015 Trailhawk I want to start planning for.
_snakeskin_ love that CB set up.

If anyone has good links they have found for KL upgrades that would be great to post here. I will put what I find as well.

Gilligan

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Norton, Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Daxton
Last Name
Tarantino
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Gilligan
Has anyone ever run or thought of running on the O.Z. Rally platform for wheels? they are a little pricy but if they hold up look like a sturdy wheel.
Tire rack is placing the wheel at an 18" but I would rather a 17" for my Jeep

( I put thins in the wrong spot, still trying to get my barrings on this forum.)

dolli310

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Halifax, NS
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Dollimont
Member #

So today I traded in my '15 KL Trailhawk in for a '20 Outback XT Outdoor. I was feeling really unstaified with the Jeep of late and Subaru trade offer was too good to refuse. Thanks for the times and laughs.

Jdelpercio93

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Youngstown, OH, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Del Percio
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8-SUM
WOW those look soon good where was your trip?
It was a great time!! We were in central Ohio near Columbus where there are a ton of unmaintained county roads to off-road on. It is actually a local jeep club... Mid Ohio Jeepers Organization.... and they are very welcoming of the trailhawks! We started a small off shoot of a group called Ohio Valley Trailhawks so that the KL's can plan trips too!