Launch Member

Advocate III

Old Hickory, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Cullum
Member #

Okay, I guess it's time to get going on my build. This is the first off-road vehicle I have ever had, so I'm a bit new to this. I've taken it out a couple times and it does not disappoint the way it is now. However, you all know how that goes. Lol.

Starting from scratch. The only thing NOT stock on my FJ are the P285/70R17 tires that are on there. They do create a small bit of rubbing when I do real sharp turns, but nothing too bad. They were on the FJ when I got it. I plan on getting something more aggressive once I need tires. Everything else is stock, besides the black emblems and the Lucille sticker, LOL.

Today I have made some clamps to hold some tools on the roof rack. My cousin had taken some pipe hangers that they use for plumbing, plasti-diped them black, and attached some Quick Fist tool mounts to them for a buddy of his who owned an FJ. The hangers just happened to be almost the exact size needed to clamp around the FJs roof rack tubing. He had 4 extra clamps so he handed them over to me. I went to the local hardware store, found the screws with the correct thread to attach the Quick Fists to the clamps, and poof.........tool mounts for roof rack. As an added bonus, the plasti dip eliminates the possibility of rattling on the roof rack...

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bouncer

Cully74

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Drew
Last Name
Cullum
Member #

Got my All Pro heavy duty sliders ordered. Sounds like it's going to be a few weeks until they get here. Time to start researching different ways to paint them. I think the important thing there would be to find something that can hold up to people stepping on it, and is also easy to touch up when I hit stuff. Lol.

Also need to start looking into leveling kits vs lift kits, and what I need to do there. I feel like that should be the next step after the sliders. The FJ came with some P285/70R/17 tires which are a little bigger than stock. I get a little rub from them when I make real sharp turns, but when they wear out I'll want to probably get something a tad bit bigger and more aggressive. (Not too much though. Don't want t mess with gearing or really bad gas mileage right now) Might as well go ahead and take care of the rubbing now while making room for future tires.

I'll post some installation pics once the All Pros come in.
Sliders.JPG

Last edited:

Cully74

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Drew
Last Name
Cullum
Member #

I was thinking about ways to mount stuff on the interior rear door yesterday, and came up with the idea of using slotted server rack shelves. I did some online research and sure enough others have done that as well. Ordered two 8.75" x 19" server shelves and one 5.25" x 19" shelf. My plan is to attach the two larger ones side by side on the interior back door with some hefty washers, and the smaller one on the left side where those mounts normally are for a cargo net. I'll just screw that one straight into the frame using those cargo net points. That would be strong enough for a extinguisher mount, although I'm seriously considering the Element extinguishers instead of the traditional ones. The slots should allow me to not only attach quick fist grips pretty much where ever, but also should fit well with Molle gear. I'll get some pics up once the shelves get here and I get started...
Server Rack.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: tkt0912

Kris022

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Houston, Texas
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF5UXO
Excited to see how the server shelf thing turns out. Those sliders are looking mighty fine too!

Cully74

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Drew
Last Name
Cullum
Member #

Yea too bad I'm still waiting on everything to get here. Lol. Sounds like the server shelves should be in this weekend while I'm out of town. Sliders may be another week...

Cully74

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Drew
Last Name
Cullum
Member #

Okay server rack panels came in today. I used the shorter one on the left side where the cargo net hooks are. I just matched up some longer screws to that existing thread, and put some nylon spacers in between the shelf and the cargo hooks. I have some molle pouches on it right now, but I'll probably end up mounting my fire extinguisher stuff there eventually.

The two bigger ones went side by side on the back door. I actually got this idea from another person that had already thought to use server rack panels. I had searched it online when I thought of it, cause you know 99.9% of the time someone on the internet has done it already. Lol. Sure enough a guy on the fjcruiserforums website had used rack panels, so I took my panel sizes from his. I drilled 1/4" holes in the back plastic in the correct locations, and placed washers on the back side of the door piece to add some stability. I tightened down the bolts with some 1/4" nuts so they would not turn. I also used wing nuts on the front side of the shelves. The thought there was if I need to take the shelves off to add a quick fist or molle pouch I wouldn't have to take off the whole interior plastic piece again. So far so good on that!

I think I am going to order two more slightly bigger ones for the bottom section of the door. One section can be for tools, and the other can be for molle pouches. Just as long as I don't put too much weight on it I should be fine. Looks like the buttons on the molle pouches are a bit big for the vented slots, but I can probably get them through if I mess with it enough.

20180223_145933[1].jpg 20180223_171332.jpg 20180223_174403.jpg 20180223_185805.jpg 20180223_191433.jpg 20180223_191442.jpg 20180223_192322.jpg 20180224_141549[1].jpg

Last edited:

tkt0912

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Space Coast, Florida
Member #

Okay server rack panels came in today. I used the shorter one on the left side where the cargo net hooks are. I just matched up some longer screws to that existing thread, and put some nylon spacers in between the shelf and the cargo hooks. I have some molle pouches on it right now, but I'll probably end up mounting my fire extinguisher stuff there eventually.

The two bigger ones went side by side on the back door. I actually got this idea from another person that had already thought to use server rack panels. I had searched it online when I thought of it, cause you know 99.9% of the time someone on the internet has done it already. Lol. Sure enough a guy on the fjcruiserforums website had used rack panels, so I took my panel sizes from his. I drilled 1/4" holes in the back plastic in the correct locations, and placed washers on the back side of the door piece to add some stability. I tightened down the bolts with some 1/4" nuts so they would not turn. I also used wing nuts on the front side of the shelves. The thought there was if I need to take the shelves off to add a quick fist or molle pouch I wouldn't have to take off the whole interior plastic piece again. So far so good on that!

I think I am going to order two more slightly bigger ones for the bottom section of the door. One section can be for tools, and the other can be for molle pouches. Just as long as I don't put too much weight on it I should be fine. Looks like the buttons on the molle pouches are a bit big for the vented slots, but I can probably get them through if I mess with it enough.

View attachment 48888 View attachment 48889 View attachment 48890 View attachment 48891 View attachment 48892 View attachment 48893 View attachment 48894 View attachment 48974
Nice job!!!! I definitely like the rack on the back door. I may copy you....

Reactions: Cully74

Cully74

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Drew
Last Name
Cullum
Member #

Got around to replacing all the silver pieces with black not too long ago. I ended up just Plasti Diping the front pieces because I'm planning on a Metaltech tube bumper eventually, so why buy the parts!!! My Maxtrax came in today too. Pics were on a sunny day with my phone...
20180315_152851.jpg 20180315_152859.jpg 20180315_152911.jpg 20180315_153337.jpg

JPaul

Rank V

Pioneer I

Mendon, UT, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Allen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1JPA
That's brilliant using the vented server rack plates. I'll have to look at what I've got kicking around in the storage room at work for ither ideas.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Cully74

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Drew
Last Name
Cullum
Member #

That's brilliant using the vented server rack plates. I'll have to look at what I've got kicking around in the storage room at work for ither ideas.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
The vent holes ended up being a little too thin for the buttons on the molle pouches. I'm going to have to use a dremel to widen them a little.

Sent from my SM-G930P using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: JPaul

Cully74

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Drew
Last Name
Cullum
Member #

Well...my plans for the All Pro rock sliders have fallen through. I had heard great things about All Pro, but so far not impressed at all!

I ordered them back on Feb 2nd. 3 weeks into the order I noticed the status was still "processing" so I called them. All Pro told me they were really busy, but was working hard and to hang in there, which I did. I called them back a little over a month into it and they said they were partnering with Trail Gear and that hopefully things would be going as they should soon. Called them again about a month and a half in and they said they would get back to me on the status of my order. They called me last night to inform me that All Pro quit making the Heavy Duty sliders for the FJ before I ordered them (even though I ordered them off their website), and that I could either downgrade, or upgrade to their Apex ones. My next comment was something like, "why don't you guys take me to the Apex ones for no additional cost since its been almost 2 months"? They told me they could ask their manager about that...who should be back in 1 to 2 weeks. LOL.

At that point I just requested a refund. It was then that they told me that they could not refund me because they did not have my money. They said when they bought All Pro, that All Pro did not give them all the cash for the newest orders. They told me all the customers that have wanted refunds have been instructed to dispute the transaction with their banks. So now I have to wait for my bank to investigate and refund my money for me...which could take two months.

tkt0912

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Space Coast, Florida
Member #

Well...my plans for the All Pro rock sliders have fallen through. I had heard great things about All Pro, but so far not impressed at all!

I ordered them back on Feb 2nd. 3 weeks into the order I noticed the status was still "processing" so I called them. All Pro told me they were really busy, but was working hard and to hang in there, which I did. I called them back a little over a month into it and they said they were partnering with Trail Gear and that hopefully things would be going as they should soon. Called them again about a month and a half in and they said they would get back to me on the status of my order. They called me last night to inform me that All Pro quit making the Heavy Duty sliders for the FJ before I ordered them (even though I ordered them off their website), and that I could either downgrade, or upgrade to their Apex ones. My next comment was something like, "why don't you guys take me to the Apex ones for no additional cost since its been almost 2 months"? They told me they could ask their manager about that...who should be back in 1 to 2 weeks. LOL.

At that point I just requested a refund. It was then that they told me that they could not refund me because they did not have my money. They said when they bought All Pro, that All Pro did not give them all the cash for the newest orders. They told me all the customers that have wanted refunds have been instructed to dispute the transaction with their banks. So now I have to wait for my bank to investigate and refund my money for me...which could take two months.
Sorry to hear that happened!!! We were planning on ordering those as well. Thank you for posting and again, sorry to hear this!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using OB Talk mobile app

Cully74

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Drew
Last Name
Cullum
Member #

Sorry to hear that happened!!! We were planning on ordering those as well. Thank you for posting and again, sorry to hear this!!!

Ah what can you do! You know. Probably not worth stressing too much over. I tried searching for the pure FJ sliders this morning, but I don't see them on the website anymore. Wonder if they quit making them. They look really cool! May end up going with some Demello Hybrids. They angle up a little bit like the All Pros do.

Reactions: tkt0912

tkt0912

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Space Coast, Florida
Member #

Ah what can you do! You know. Probably not worth stressing too much over. I tried searching for the pure FJ sliders this morning, but I don't see them on the website anymore. Wonder if they quit making them. They look really cool! May end up going with some Demello Hybrids. They angle up a little bit like the All Pros do.

I picked those as my first choice actually. I called Pure and he said that the manufacturing company he was using, had an issue. If I remember correctly, he said he was trying to find someone else to manufacture them.

Bouncer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B

That's horrible. In the day of social media, online reviews, and competition being at your fingertips, I feel that customer service is the only thing sometimes that can set you apart from the next company in line. I will and have paid a more for a company that is known to be more customer service oriented. When I read things like that where its basically "Too bad so sad figure it out yourself" it gets me pretty agitated and its another company I make a mental note not to do business with in the future myself.. thanks for letting us know.

Cully74

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Drew
Last Name
Cullum
Member #

Lucille had her legs lengthened today by 2.75 in with Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks. Since it's my everyday driver I didn't want to do anything too drastic, and I also didn't want to spend a buttload of money on a really expensive suspension system. The shocks did the trick nicely.

20180330_153415.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: bval