2013 Toyota Tundra - Starting June-10-2018

• HTML tutorial

BayAreaTundra

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Danville, CA
Member #

Below is a picture of the beginning of my build. Yesterday I ordered a Leer 100XL Shell with a Thule Rack. I also ordered a Tepui Autana 4 rooftop tent in Siberian Camo to throw on top of the new shell. I have to wait until July 10th for the installation. I will update then. I am going to do a small'ish suspension lift and 33"-35" general grabber X3's next (still working on convincing the wife, but she is getting really excited for overlanding so I don't think it will be hard).

Update 07/12/2018:
Leer 100XL Shell - Installed
Thule Square Bar Rack - Installed
Tepui Autana 4 - Installed

Trigger Wireless Accessory Controller

Rigid Pods

Modifications:
Flowmaster Exhaust
18" XD126 Enduro Pro Wheels
Leer 100XL Shell
Thule Roof Rack on Shell
Tepui Autana 4 Siberian Camo RTT
Trigger Wireless Accessory Controller
Rigid D-Series Pods

Wish List (Notes for things I want):
Expedition One Bumper
Spare (5th) XD126 Enduro Pro Wheel+Tire
Cab roof mounted basket (Thule?)
Upgraded suspension 2"-3" lift
General Grabber X3 33"-35"
Decked Drawer System

Last edited:

4SXPops

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Seattle, Washington
Member #

Cool start to a great build. Have you done anything with your rear suspension to support the extra load you'll be hauling? I have a '12 Tundra Double Cab Rock Warrior that I overland (not many Tundras out there doing this stuff). I'm finding that I'm sagging quite a bit when fully loaded for a week-long trip - we just did the UTBDR. Current setup is a Leer tonneau, but I have a Leer 100RCC canopy on order - it's a commercial-grade shell reinforced for higher top-loads. Longer term we'll be putting a RTT on it, so more weight. Bed has a full slide and we have a Dometic fridge in there in addition to Maxtrax, recovery gear, camping gear, etc. My son did a Dakar leaf stack on his '17 CrewMax and has also added airbags. I have a 1" block and need to do more to support and control the loads I haul.

Reactions: BayAreaTundra

BayAreaTundra

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Danville, CA
Member #

Cool start to a great build. Have you done anything with your rear suspension to support the extra load you'll be hauling? I have a '12 Tundra Double Cab Rock Warrior that I overland (not many Tundras out there doing this stuff). I'm finding that I'm sagging quite a bit when fully loaded for a week-long trip - we just did the UTBDR. Current setup is a Leer tonneau, but I have a Leer 100RCC canopy on order - it's a commercial-grade shell reinforced for higher top-loads. Longer term we'll be putting a RTT on it, so more weight. Bed has a full slide and we have a Dometic fridge in there in addition to Maxtrax, recovery gear, camping gear, etc. My son did a Dakar leaf stack on his '17 CrewMax and has also added airbags. I have a 1" block and need to do more to support and control the loads I haul.
I have not done anything (yet) to support extra load. I didn't even consider it to be honest. I will be taking my 1st week-long trip at the end of July and will determine if anything needs to be done. Thanks for the heads up!

BayAreaTundra

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Danville, CA
Member #

Looking sharp!

As for leaf springs mentioned above I put an OME lift with the Dakar leafs on mine and it improved the sag significantly when loaded.
Awesome, thanks. That OME a 2.5"? I am 6' and I can BARELY deal with the RTT. I am going to need a stepladder if I lift (totally worth it).

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

Awesome, thanks. That OME a 2.5"? I am 6' and I can BARELY deal with the RTT. I am going to need a stepladder if I lift (totally worth it).
Yup, that's right. An OME 2.5" lift.

I can see the issue with the height. To get my cover on just right I just stand on the wheel. I have a bit of offset int he wheels i have that makes that easier.

You could always use something like this:
upload_2018-7-13_8-26-14.jpeg

Reactions: Pindal and cerberus