2012 Wrangler Unlimited "yes it's green" build

• HTML tutorial

flyinion

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, CA
Member #

I'm pretty new around here but figure I might as well toss up some info about my rig so far. Just going to start off with pics of where it's at now and talk about the mods instead of trying to dig up pics of progress over the last few years. The 3rd pic with the better view of the tire carrier still has my old wheels/tires on it. Stock alloy with 265/70r17 Duratrac that I ran for 5 years.

So yes, my Jeep is actually green. It's the 2012 black forest green pearlcoat that depending on the angle and how much sun is out either looks a dark metallic green or a lot of times especially if it's dirty and unpolished like it has been the last year or so it usually looks black.

jeep05.jpg

External mods:
Ace sliders (body bolt mounted)
Rubicon sliders (in garage going on soon between Ace and the pinch seam)
Metalcloak Dual Rate ARB edition 2.5" lift kit with lower control arms added in (comes with uppers and trackbar)
Teraflex exhaust spacers
Quadratec 9500is Stealth edition winch
Rockhard 4x4 winch plate for stock bumper
VDP stubby endcaps on front bumper
JCR Offroad Crusader mid-width rear bumper with Shield tire carrier (attaches to swing gate for all-in-one opening)
JCR Offroad replacement transmission crossmember
JCR 3rd brake light relocation
Quadratec hardrock style wheels 17x8.5 with 5.2" backspace
Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/75r17 load C (note the 75 not 70 profile)

rear_corner.jpg
front.jpg
bumper_carrier.JPG

Interior mods:
Don't have pics of everything but did want to show the seat covers

Bartact molle system seat covers on all seats. I needed something that could resist Boxer hair. It comes right off these vs being heavily embedded like the OEM fabric.

Surprise Straps paracord grab handles. Each handle has like 10-15 feet of paracord on it wrapped over a nylon webbing inner so the cord can be removed and used in an emergency.

Uniden 520 CB with 4' firestik kit from Right Channel (still having grounding issues since the bumper/carrier install)

That's mostly it for the interior. I'm hoping to change that a bit now that I'm learning about overlanding because I know there's stuff I need to get for the inside.

cover1.JPG cover2.JPG cover3.JPG cover4.JPG

flyinion

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Also I do have some lighting but it's not installed yet because I'm trying to figure out whether to get an sPOD system or just wire it myself somehow. Like 2 Christmas's ago I unexpectedly got some 6" LED light bars and A pillar mounts from my sister and brother in law. Especially now that I have the rear bumper with the cube light cutouts I figured I should get a control system for lighting and the probably eventual 1-2 e-lockers I want to add in.

Here's my mod list for planned/completed stuff. I'm expecting to change this a bit with input from you guys. Any input is appreciated.

Group 1, do sooner rather than later (1-2 years) and in this order:
  • CB DONE
  • Front LCA’s DONE
  • JCR Rear Bumper DONE
  • JCR tire carrier DONE
  • Rock Hard winch plate, works with stock bumper no vacuum pump relocation needed on 2012+ DONE
  • Winch DONE
  • Trek Armor seat covers, front and rear DONE
  • JCR Transmission Crossmember DONE
  • Rockhard skids, some brand of rear diff skids or armored front & rear diff covers.
  • 285/75r17 load range C Nitto Ridge Grappler DONE
  • Superchips Flashcal DONE
  • Hotheads Headliners
  • Brake upgrades

Group 2, want to do but not as high priority and order is random:
  • Software upgrade to the FlashCal to turn it into a FlashPaq for engine tunes/etc
  • C gussets on front axle, ball joints if needed after gussets are welded, front LCA mount skids
  • new front driveshaft, needed to remove exhaust spacers and not hit slip joint cover on exhaust even with spacers. Or possibly Teraflex high angle rebuild kit with shorter shocks
  • JCR Front Bumper and skid plate
  • Rear CA’s
  • Rear Trackbar
  • Quadratec 17x8.5 Hardrock style wheels in the gray color (5.2" backspacing) DONE
  • Trim rear pinch seam as needed (rear CA’s may eliminate this need if wheel is perfectly centered, however late 2013+ come pre-trimmed)
  • SPOD for electrical devices or DIY version, undecided
  • new aftermarket rear driveshaft (need CA's first)
  • New headlights
  • Offroad lighting DONE (sort of, have windshield lights, need to install, eventually light bar and backup lights for the rear bumper holes)
  • Flat fenders (may or may not do this now)
  • HAM radio license and equipment
  • Replace Ace rails and Rubi sliders with something like JCR's new step/slider+rock lights design

Group 3, want to do down the road, likely close to or after paying the Jeep off:
  • Onboard Air...undecided since planning on e-lockers
  • E-lockers (front and leave LSD, or rear, or both?)
  • Re-gear to 4.56
  • Gobi Stealth Rack
  • Roll cage enhancements
  • ARB or similar fridge
  • Dual battery setup

flyinion

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Got my factory Rubicon sliders on finally. Should offer some extra rocker panel protection from branches etc. I've somehow managed to get a dimple in the rocker panel right behind the front driver tire even with my Ace rock sliders/steps and can only assume it was a branch.

The Ace sliders also like to flex into the pinch seam if hit hard enough. Apparently they were actually designed to work with the factory ones when I inquired about it. $50 off Craigslist not bad. Just had to get a few missing bolts and washers.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using OB Talk

flyinion

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Nice build. What breaks did you go with?
Nothing yet, they'e on the list of stuff that I want to do or have done, so they don't have a red "DONE" next to them (or just "DONE" if you're in the mobile app). I'm thinking probably the Teraflex big rotor kits front and rear. I've heard they work pretty good. If I decide later I want the full power of the big brake kits which only replace the front caliper anyway, I'm only really throwing away the bracket for front rotors that pulls them out to fit the bigger rotors because I'd likely do it when the brakes were worn and the rotors usually end up just getting replaced (my understanding at least) instead of ground down now.

I don't think I really need the dual piston calipers with 34" tires though. Going to 34's (33.8) from 32's didn't really affect it too much, it is noticeable of course, but they're also getting worn and I think the big rotor kits with some nice pads would work really well.

flyinion

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Ordered a couple of minor axle armor/reinforcement upgrades in prep for getting my worn ball joints and drag link replaced in the next couple weeks (hopefully).

JCR Offroad front axle C gussets. Perfect time to do them since the ball joints will be out.
https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/JK-MISC/JKF-CG.html

JCR Offroad front LCA mount skids. Might as well, they're cheap and I've hit the mounts a few times already.
https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/JK-MISC/JKF-LCAS.html

Will have pics once they go on.