Salem, MA, USA
First Name
Edi
Last Name
Zaimovic
Member #

Service Branch
Army
My Overland Rig is a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JK.
The build is a working progress. I will post what I have and then what I need/want for the build. So feel free to add anything you think I missed or would be helpful. Only doing things for the rig.
Currently-
35in x 17in rough country tires. W/ full spare
3in lift
2x 20L/5gal Scepter fuel cans
Custom steel front and rear bumpers
Rear-Dana 44 limited slip
Front-Dana 30
V6 3.6L 285 HP 260 ft-lbs

Need/want
Winch
Brush guard to protect winch
Snorkel
Fuel can mount
Air compressor
Lights, LED
Hi-jack w/mount
Roof top tent.
Steel, or reinforced sliders.

Note:food will be kept in a cooler with ice.

This rig is my daily driver, I mainly use it to get to and from work (I know, not practical) but I bought it for off-roading and that is its main purpose. The biggest downfall of the rig is MPG, I get about 12.7 in the city. Let me know what you think, any tips or tricks would be appreciated. I am new to overlanding, I will mostly likely only be doing weekend trips with the wife and kid till I get most of the stuff on my list that I need.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Jimmy P

Easyy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Salem, MA, USA
First Name
Edi
Last Name
Zaimovic
Member #

Service Branch
Army
What are your plans for storage due to having three people in the car?
For now, since it will be weekend trips I will have a cooler with food, a few gallons of water, and a tent in the back seat, duffle of clothes with blankets/sleeping backs behind the seats, with fuel and back packs in trunk. Basically playing Tetris and trying not to overpack. In the future I plan on saving for an adventure trailer.

Easyy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Salem, MA, USA
First Name
Edi
Last Name
Zaimovic
Member #

Service Branch
Army
What are your plans for storage due to having three people in the car?
For now, since it will be weekend trips I will have a cooler with food, a few gallons of water, and a tent in the back seat, duffle of clothes with blankets/sleeping backs behind the seats, with fuel and back packs in trunk. Basically playing Tetris and trying not to overpack. In the future I plan on saving for an adventure trailer.

wrath0r

Rank 0

Traveler I

I would look into new gears for your rig sooner than later.

The 3.6L Pentastar engine so can get away with a bit more than the 3.8L, but the best that would have come stock on that Jeep would be 3.73. Lugging around true 35" tires (assuming that's what you have) with a 3.73 gear ratio will be sluggish but doable, but adding much more weight to it and you're going to have a rough time. This can also improve your mileage, but there are too many variables there for a guarantee.

I would also strongly suggest looking into some of the aftermarket tire carriers. If you're going to keep your tailgate open at all, you'll be putting a lot of strain on the hinges. Also, a lot of them have some really neat options for carrying a hi-lift, fuel cans, and other accessories. I personally went with the Teraflex HD Hinged Carrier because I like how close to stock it looks, but I know AEV makes one that can do a lot more. If I recall correctly, they make a 10g fuel tank that can sit behind the spare tire on their carrier. Not sure if it'll fit on your bumper, though.

Reactions: Easyy

Easyy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Salem, MA, USA
First Name
Edi
Last Name
Zaimovic
Member #

Service Branch
Army

The 3.6L Pentastar engine so can get away with a bit more than the 3.8L, but the best that would have come stock on that Jeep would be 3.73. Lugging around true 35" tires (assuming that's what you have) with a 3.73 gear ratio will be sluggish but doable, but adding much more weight to it and you're going to have a rough time. This can also improve your mileage, but there are too many variables there for a guarantee.

I would also strongly suggest looking into some of the aftermarket tire carriers. If you're going to keep your tailgate open at all, you'll be putting a lot of strain on the hinges. Also, a lot of them have some really neat options for carrying a hi-lift, fuel cans, and other accessories. I personally went with the Teraflex HD Hinged Carrier because I like how close to stock it looks, but I know AEV makes one that can do a lot more. If I recall correctly, they make a 10g fuel tank that can sit behind the spare tire on their carrier. Not sure if it'll fit on your bumper, though.
I have a reinforced aftermarket tire carrier.
But I will definitely look into all of that, thanks!

Reactions: wrath0r

BigSwole

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Centreville, Virginia
Member #

I agree with the re gear. I ran 35s on mine with 4.10 gearing and it was sluggish on the hills. It was fine where I live because it's pretty flat, but when I traveled through the West Virginia it sucked.

Reactions: wrath0r and Easyy

Easyy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Salem, MA, USA
First Name
Edi
Last Name
Zaimovic
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I agree with the re gear. I ran 35s on mine with 4.10 gearing and it was sluggish on the hills. It was fine where I live because it's pretty flat, but when I traveled through the West Virginia it sucked.
What’s a good for 35s?

BigSwole

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Centreville, Virginia
Member #

I would go with 4.56, others might say 4.88. Both would be OK. Here is a link to a chart that might help you decide based on what your plans for your jeep are. There's also a formula that you could use to determine what might be best for you. Keep in mind though the chart is a generalization. Just an FYI, a re-gear is not cheap. You don't want to do it more than once so take your time before pulling the trigger.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/vehicle-towing/maneuvers/gear-ratio-tire-size-chart.htm

Easyy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Salem, MA, USA
First Name
Edi
Last Name
Zaimovic
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I would go with 4.56, others might say 4.88. Both would be OK. Here is a link to a chart that might help you decide based on what your plans for your jeep are. There's also a formula that you could use to determine what might be best for you. Keep in mind though the chart is a generalization. Just an FYI, a re-gear is not cheap. You don't want to do it more than once so take your time before pulling the trigger.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/vehicle-towing/maneuvers/gear-ratio-tire-size-chart.htm
Thanks so much!

wrath0r

Rank 0

Traveler I

Here's another chart for you. Another thing to keep in mind is that the tire size on these charts is the measured size, not the advertised size, so make sure you know what your tires really are. Most 35s do not really have a 35" diameter. Also, like @BigSwole said, these are generalizations. If you're going to be adding a whole lot of weight you might not be very happy with a 4.56. On the other hand, if you're keeping it light and your 35s are really somewhere between 33" - 34", 4.10 might be just fine for you.

Your best bet is to find someone with a similar rig to yours and different gears and ask them to let you test drive it. If you're in a Jeep club that will be a good place to ask around.

jk_ratio-chart-12.jpg 3.8-jkgearing.jpg

Easyy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Salem, MA, USA
First Name
Edi
Last Name
Zaimovic
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Here's another chart for you. Another thing to keep in mind is that the tire size on these charts is the measured size, not the advertised size, so make sure you know what your tires really are. Most 35s do not really have a 35" diameter. Also, like @BigSwole said, these are generalizations. If you're going to be adding a whole lot of weight you might not be very happy with a 4.56. On the other hand, if you're keeping it light and your 35s are really somewhere between 33" - 34", 4.10 might be just fine for you.

Your best bet is to find someone with a similar rig to yours and different gears and ask them to let you test drive it. If you're in a Jeep club that will be a good place to ask around.

View attachment 34890 View attachment 34891
Do I need to re gear both front and rear?

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
Do I need to re gear both front and rear?

Yes you will. Personally, I would not make gears a priority. PERSONALLY. I had 3.21's which honestly were not that bad. 35's, AEV front Bumper, LOD Sig Series rear, it worked for how I drove. Hills did suck but it was not as bad as everyone says. Only reason I regeared is because I listened to what everyone said about the sluggish performance and bought gears when I purchased my lift. Ended up going to 4.10 in the event I ever wanted to downsize in tire size.

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

Yes - front and rear ratios must match. I agree with both sides of the points above - if live where there are hills, do a lot of highway driving or pull a trailer, then def make re-gearing a priority. If not, don't - you will get a little "pep" back, but since these things aren't drag racers anyway...

I have re-geared two different JKs - one from 3.73 to 4.88 and one (the current) from 4.10 to 4.88. Personally, I love the 4.88 in this vehicle - great combo of driving characteristics (in my opinion). Going from 4.10 to 4.56 won't be worth the money - it is likely you won't notice any difference.

If you're going to be at Expo East - catch up with me. You can drive mine and see what the 4.88s feel like.

Ryan

Reactions: Easyy and AG Sheep

Easyy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Salem, MA, USA
First Name
Edi
Last Name
Zaimovic
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Yes - front and rear ratios must match. I agree with both sides of the points above - if live where there are hills, do a lot of highway driving or pull a trailer, then def make re-gearing a priority. If not, don't - you will get a little "pep" back, but since these things aren't drag racers anyway...

I have re-geared two different JKs - one from 3.73 to 4.88 and one (the current) from 4.10 to 4.88. Personally, I love the 4.88 in this vehicle - great combo of driving characteristics (in my opinion). Going from 4.10 to 4.56 won't be worth the money - it is likely you won't notice any difference.

If you're going to be at Expo East - catch up with me. You can drive mine and see what the 4.88s feel like.

Ryan
Thanks I’ll send look into that. Not sure if my ratio is 3.21 or 3.72 because the Jeep is used and I’ll probably go to 4.10 or 4.56, but I am currently in Alaska and won’t be able to make it to Expo East.

wrath0r

Rank 0

Traveler I

Thanks I’ll send look into that. Not sure if my ratio is 3.21 or 3.72 because the Jeep is used and I’ll probably go to 4.10 or 4.56, but I am currently in Alaska and won’t be able to make it to Expo East.

You can, and should, get ahold of your Jeep's build sheet using your VIN. The VIN is on a little metal plate on the dash near the windshield on the driver's side. Once you have it, you can go to https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/jeep/index.html, click the link on the left that says "Equipment Listing", and search by VIN. That will get you all kinds of useful information, including your gear ratio.

Easyy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Salem, MA, USA
First Name
Edi
Last Name
Zaimovic
Member #

Service Branch
Army
You can, and should, get ahold of your Jeep's build sheet using your VIN. The VIN is on a little metal plate on the dash near the windshield on the driver's side. Once you have it, you can go to https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/jeep/index.html, click the link on the left that says "Equipment Listing", and search by VIN. That will get you all kinds of useful information, including your gear ratio.
Awesome info! I have 3.73.

Reactions: wrath0r