2011 Ram 1500 overland build

• HTML tutorial

Wired_

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Hello everyone, I have been lurking around for a while now but have finally decided to post a build thread. As stated in the title my truck is a 2011 Ram 1500 crew cab Laramie. This is it the day I picked it up from the dealer.

When I originally bought the truck I have no idea of what overlanding even was, and over the next couple years got a couple upgrades.

I added a cheap 2 1/2 inch coil spacer lift
35 inch toyo AT2 extreme tires
Spyder halo projector headlights

About a year ago, the overlanding bug bit me and decided to go on a couple trips. After sleeping in the bed of the truck for a couple days my girlfriend decided that we needed something more comfortable to sleep in so I added a Yakima bedrock and bought a used 23Zero litchfield tent off another forum member.

After a few hundred miles of blasting down dirt roads and a few whooped out trails in the desert I realized I needed something better than a coil spacer to achieve the lift that I needed and decided to go with Fox 2.0 Shocks in the front and rear.

At the same time I realized the ball joints in the upper control arms needed replaced some I purchased some fully boxed upper control arms from Zone offroad

I apologize I totally forgot to take pictures of the parts when I got them cause it was right before a trip and I had to scramble to get everything installed right before we left.

On that trip on the way home I realized that the rear springs were failing as the truck had started to sag a bit in the rear with all of our camping stuff added. I ordered a set of variable rate, with a 30% capacity increase from Sdtrucksprings.com

This time I actually managed to get a picture with the parts before they went in the truck :

I also added a set of black oak LED pods with the ZROADS hood hinge bracket and got it all wired up.

My most recent mod is the installation of a front runner roof rack:

And here is some pics from a recent day trip when we drove a small section of the Pony express trail:

I also have ordered a KB Voodoo Fab Bed rack and I am waiting for them to ship it out.

The future mod want/need list is as follows:

Front bumper W/winch
Rock sliders
Fridge and drawer system (possibly installed in the back seats since I don’t use them)
Wilco tiregate
ARB Awning
More lights!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Traveler I

Oregon
Are those 20” tires? I just ordered 20” black rhino armory’s for my Tundra, because the 18”s were severely back ordered. I have 18’s currently and am a little concerned I may have sacrificed some off road ability due to my impatience. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Traveler I

Oregon
Hello everyone, I have been lurking around for a while now but have finally decided to post a build thread. As stated in the title my truck is a 2011 Ram 1500 crew cab Laramie. This is it the day I picked it up from the dealer.

When I originally bought the truck I have no idea of what overlanding even was, and over the next couple years got a couple upgrades.

I added a cheap 2 1/2 inch coil spacer lift
35 inch toyo AT2 extreme tires
Spyder halo projector headlights

About a year ago, the overlanding bug bit me and decided to go on a couple trips. After sleeping in the bed of the truck for a couple days my girlfriend decided that we needed something more comfortable to sleep in so I added a Yakima bedrock and bought a used 23Zero litchfield tent off another forum member.

After a few hundred miles of blasting down dirt roads and a few whooped out trails in the desert I realized I needed something better than a coil spacer to achieve the lift that I needed and decided to go with Fox 2.0 Shocks in the front and rear.

At the same time I realized the ball joints in the upper control arms needed replaced some I purchased some fully boxed upper control arms from Zone offroad

I apologize I totally forgot to take pictures of the parts when I got them cause it was right before a trip and I had to scramble to get everything installed right before we left.

On that trip on the way home I realized that the rear springs were failing as the truck had started to sag a bit in the rear with all of our camping stuff added. I ordered a set of variable rate, with a 30% capacity increase from Sdtrucksprings.com

This time I actually managed to get a picture with the parts before they went in the truck :

I also added a set of black oak LED pods with the ZROADS hood hinge bracket and got it all wired up.

My most recent mod is the installation of a front runner roof rack:

And here is some pics from a recent day trip when we drove a small section of the Pony express trail:

I also have ordered a KB Voodoo Fab Bed rack and I am waiting for them to ship it out.

The future mod want/need list is as follows:

Front bumper W/winch
Rock sliders
Fridge and drawer system (possibly installed in the back seats since I don’t use them)
Wilco tiregate
ARB Awning
More lights!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Oh, and beautiful truck you got there!

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

AZAdventurer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Maricopa County, Arizona, United States
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tinsley
Member #

Awesome build! How do you like the Fox coil overs? I have the bilstein 5100s but debating the coilovers 2.0 or 2.5 with the uniball upper arm. Also have you received the new bed rack? I'm looking into getting ideas for a rack as well.

Gothere

Rank 0

Traveler I

Alabama
How do you like the hale/projector headlights? I'm looking for an option to replace my crappy factory light output.

Wired_

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Awesome build! How do you like the Fox coil overs? I have the bilstein 5100s but debating the coilovers 2.0 or 2.5 with the uniball upper arm. Also have you received the new bed rack? I'm looking into getting ideas for a rack as well.
The foxes make a HUGE difference if you plan on driving on dirt for any amount of time I would definitely recommend these. I have used them all year and still love them

Reactions: AZAdventurer

Wired_

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

How do you like the hale/projector headlights? I'm looking for an option to replace my crappy factory light output.
I wouldn’t look into the ones I have, I feel like the quality is a little low as the lenses don’t look very good now. The halo does look pretty cool though

Zach Jacobe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bend Oregon
Member #

Hey @Wired_ !

Nice to see another Ram 1500 here! I am new to the Crew but and super excited to see what we can do! Hope to talk with you about questions i may have in the future! I will leave you with this! I have looked everywhere for hood mounts for ditch lights where did you find yours!?!?

Thanks!
Zach

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Any of you ram guys ever need ditch light hood mounts. I have a set that i took off my 17 after it was wrecked fixed an sold. Figured id get another 1500 but heading toward a tacoma or a Jeep Wrangler