Broken Yoke

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Portland, ME, USA
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Jackson
this is my 2010 VW Touareg TDI 3.0 V6 diesel. I bought this to replace my daily a 2010 golf TDI (mildly built malone stage 2
with a 1.5" lift) I needed more room for outdoor adventures. I haven't had it long and it will be a slow build budget permitting.

all I have done so far is have it tuned, - malone stage 2 (280hp 434lbs torque) and deleted the backseat so I can use it as a
pickup truck (muddy dog hauler, tools and lumber hauler, camper etc). this thing is a tank weighing in about 5600-5800lbs. it is a
4xmotion vs the usual vw 4motion awd system. that means it has a hi/lo transfer case and locking center diff (v8 treg's got
air suspension, a center and rear locker and some v10 tdi got a front, center and rear locker). with my current setup I get
28.5mpg highway 23mpg city if I keep it at 75mph or less, I also wanted this model because it has a tow rating of 7700lbs.

my treg came riding on 275/40/20 and they did well on a first trip up the golden road in maine. thankfully I just picked up 6 used 17" porsche
cayenne wheels last week and the 5 - 245/70/17 toyo open country load e tires come today in the mail...hooray!

20220717_071452.jpg

20220717_071525.jpg

20220717_065500.jpg

20220801_070926.jpg

20220731_090312.jpg

20220731_090442.jpg

Corrie

Rank VII
Staff member
Founder 500
Supporter

Protector II

Placer County, California, United States
First Name
Corrie
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

this is my 2010 VW Touareg TDI 3.0 V6 diesel. I bought this to replace my daily a 2010 golf TDI (mildly built malone stage 2
with a 1.5" lift) I needed more room for outdoor adventures. I haven't had it long and it will be a slow build budget permitting.

all I have done so far is have it tuned, - malone stage 2 (280hp 434lbs torque) and deleted the backseat so I can use it as a
pickup truck (muddy dog hauler, tools and lumber hauler, camper etc). this thing is a tank weighing in about 5600-5800lbs. it is a
4xmotion vs the usual vw 4motion awd system. that means it has a hi/lo transfer case and locking center diff (v8 treg's got
air suspension, a center and rear locker and some v10 tdi got a front, center and rear locker). with my current setup I get
28.5mpg highway 23mpg city if I keep it at 75mph or less, I also wanted this model because it has a tow rating of 7700lbs.

my treg came riding on 275/40/20 and they did well on a first trip up the golden road in maine. thankfully I just picked up 6 used 17" porsche
cayenne wheels last week and the 5 - 245/70/17 toyo open country load e tires come today in the mail...hooray!

View attachment 238838

View attachment 238839

View attachment 238840

View attachment 238841

View attachment 238842

View attachment 238843
I had no idea about the tow rating on those things. And the mpgs. What a fun build.

T

TheBoothRoss

View attachment 238838

View attachment 238839

View attachment 238840

View attachment 238841

View attachment 238842

View attachment 238843
Hey bud - I too am modding my 2010 T'reg. I get all my kit/shiny stuff from EuroWise and DarkSideUK, and really have to restrain myself to not spend all my $$ too quickly :-P

Good luck on the build, and as a fyi, a stage 3 tune on the 3L TDI will push the numbers up to 300+hp and 515+ fpt .....

Reactions: El-Dracho

Broken Yoke

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Portland, ME, USA
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Jackson
nice, I have spent a bunch of time on eurowise's website, good stuff. I think eurowise and forge overland are the only places carrying anything for the touareg platform.

I have been eyeballing the darkside treg downpipe since I went malone stage 2. my golf tdi is malone stage 2 as well and it is pretty smelly unlike the treg that still haves the
CAT so decisions, decisions :grinning:

Reactions: El-Dracho

Broken Yoke

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Portland, ME, USA
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Jackson
fastest build ever! I'm already done :wink:

my VW treg was taken out by a driver exiting the parking lot on the opposite side of the street last week.
she panicked floored it and drove straight into my parked touareg...wtf.

I'm pretty bummed but it isn't the end of the world. I also wasn't inside my VW at time of impact thankfully.

I'm already working on plan b...jumping platforms and restarting a slow build with a different automaker.
I've been an audi/vw guy for years, I think it just might be time for a change.

20220921_131438.jpg

Last edited:

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
That sucks. But good that you have not been in the rig while it happened and got hurt. I hope everyone involved is well.

Nick Malette

Rank V

Enthusiast III

New Mexico, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Malette
Member #

Sorry to hear, glad you weren't in there. Curious what ideas you are kickin' around. V10 treg?! I kid - I do want to drive one someone day.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

My jeep almost got rear-ended and I totally lost it... Good that there where to many people around.
I'm sorry for you, but glad you will start something new.

Motohead1

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

fastest build ever! I'm already done :wink:

my VW treg was taken out by a driver exiting the parking lot on the opposite side of the street last week.
she panicked floored it and drove straight into my parked touareg...wtf.

I'm pretty bummed but it isn't the end of the world. I also wasn't inside my VW at time of impact thankfully.

I'm already working on plan b...jumping platforms and restarting a slow build with a different automaker.
I've been an audi/vw guy for years, I think it just might be time for a change.

View attachment 241425
Make sure you buy it back. that drive line will make a nice swap.

Broken Yoke

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Portland, ME, USA
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Jackson
change of plans, touareg dream now dashed but overlanding/winter camping dream back on track. I bit the bullet and replaced the treg today. I am picking up a new to me one owner clean carfax 2015 toyota SR5 4runner for $1800 under book and 105k miles tomorrow. it has a hi/lo transfer case and rear locker which was why I bought my 2010 treg tdi. I will miss the touareg and tdi aspect more than you know but I still have the lifted stage two golf tdi on tiguan springs to play with that gets over twice the mileage that this 4runner gets...hooray.

20220926_093851.jpg

20220926_093348.jpg

20220926_093235.jpg

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

Sorry about the VW. It looked great with those wheels and tires. But! Congrats on the 4Runner!

I am curious though... how do you know it has a locker? Is it aftermarket? ARB?
I have a 2015 4Runner SR5 and they did NOT come with a locker, even as an option.

Broken Yoke

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Portland, ME, USA
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Jackson
Sorry about the VW. It looked great with those wheels and tires. But! Congrats on the 4Runner!

I have a 2015 4Runner SR5 and they did NOT come with a locker, even as an option.

it doesn't have a locker, I thought I saw the switch for it but I mistook it the DAC button. no worries I will be looking into an aftermarket solution when funds are good again :wink:

Reactions: AggieOE

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
it doesn't have a locker, I thought I saw the switch for it but I mistook it the DAC button. no worries I will be looking into an aftermarket solution when funds are good again :wink:
You should have an A-TRAC button, though. A locker is certainly nice to have, but A-TRAC works amazingly well on its own. Sorry to hear about the VW but glad to see you have a new platform to build out!

Reactions: AggieOE

Broken Yoke

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Portland, ME, USA
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Jackson
I had a 2004 reg with the V8. Capable off-road but a nightmare for prices on parts lol
Always wanted the TDI version
the 3.0 tdi version makes the whole treg thing work perfectly. the v-10 tdi is a pure monster but the v6 version was where its at and the preferred model from my research. I haven't owned a toyota since my solid axle heavy rear flatbed 1985 pickup...so slow but so much fun.

PandaMonium 428

Rank IV

Traveler III

Carl Junction, Jasper County, Missouri, United States
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
O’Connell
I had a 2004 reg with the V8. Capable off-road but a nightmare for prices on parts lol
Always wanted the TDI version
the 3.0 tdi version makes the whole treg thing work perfectly. the v-10 tdi is a pure monster but the v6 version was where its at and the preferred model from my research. I haven't owned a toyota since my solid axle heavy rear flatbed 1985 pickup...so slow but so much fun.
Yeah i have a 91 single cab pickup, 3.slow 5 speed, a 91 FJ80 V8 frankencruiser and a ‘16 highlander. We’re mostly a Toyota family but i grew up in europe and have had my fair share of German stuff. TDI is where its at. I had a hilux 3.0TD and that would be amazing here

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

Good deal. I just wanted to make sure someone didn't try and scam you or something.

I'm sure you've already been searching but if you want a night and day difference in drivability, look at swapping the shocks for Bilstein 5100s.
I swear by them now after feeling how much the nose dive and roll went away (which I'm sure you've discovered). Also, it's a relatively cheap and reliable upgrade. I set the spring mounts at 1.75" in the front and added a 1.5" spring space for the rear. You can also set them at stock height or +0.85".

Broken Yoke

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Portland, ME, USA
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Jackson
Good deal. I just wanted to make sure someone didn't try and scam you or something.

I'm sure you've already been searching but if you want a night and day difference in drivability, look at swapping the shocks for Bilstein 5100s.
I swear by them now after feeling how much the nose dive and roll went away (which I'm sure you've discovered). Also, it's a relatively cheap and reliable upgrade. I set the spring mounts at 1.75" in the front and added a 1.5" spring space for the rear. You can also set them at stock height or +0.85".

excellent info, thanks! I am super well versed in VW/Audi stuff. Toyota is just another matrix to learn and a little easier than german auto to figure out...german auto are definitely hard nut to crack.