Rank II

Enthusiast II

Upstate New York
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Smith
Hello Everybody,

We (Danny & Jeanne) were looking to get into off road camping and wasn't sure what to start with, we already owned a 2008 Ford so decided to turn it into a camper. So far we have had a blast and enjoying the journey.

A quick breakdown:
  • 2008 Ford F250 V-10 gas
  • 4:11 gears with 37" tires
  • Home built flatbed
  • Home made side storage cabinets
  • Home built aluminum roof to get weight lower on truck
  • Full size spare
  • 2M HAM radio
  • Air bags
Things I plan to add this year:
  • Rock sliders
  • 12K winch and bumper
  • Side and rear awnings
wi2.jpgwi1.jpg

Attachments

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Very cool. Great use of the "dead" space you normally see with slide-in campers.

-TJ

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

Hello Everybody,

We (Danny & Jeanne) were looking to get into off road camping and wasn't sure what to start with, we already owned a 2008 Ford so decided to turn it into a camper. So far we have had a blast and enjoying the journey.

A quick breakdown:
  • 2008 Ford F250 V-10 gas
  • 4:11 gears with 37" tires
  • Home built flatbed
  • Home made side storage cabinets
  • Home built aluminum roof to get weight lower on truck
  • Full size spare
  • 2M HAM radio
  • Air bags
Things I plan to add this year:
  • Rock sliders
  • 12K winch and bumper
  • Side and rear awnings
View attachment 192189View attachment 192190
Love the build

Reactions: TravelinDan

TravelinDan

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Upstate New York
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Smith
Sweet build! What kind of trails have you gotten yourself into with this? Have you tried camping in the winter with the pop-up?
So far we have mostly just taken the back roads non-interstate approach, we have been on a couple single lane dirt roads but nothing extreme. We were hoping to do more last year then COVID hit. This year we are planning to go into Hew Hampshire then the other direction to North Dakota (maybe venture into SD too).

The coldest we have camped in so far has been the upper 30's but in full disclosure we were at a campsite with electricity and used the factory installed heater, it was quite cozy.

TomasOC

Rank III

Contributor III

Vancouver Island
First Name
Tomas
Last Name
O Ciosain
Member #

Perfect platform as far as I'm concerned. Plenty of space and comfort. Reliable gas motor that runs quiet. All pros in my book. The bed is very well executed and the storage boxes on the side have me thinking about ditching the short box on my F250 now.

TravelinDan

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Upstate New York
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Smith
Perfect platform as far as I'm concerned. Plenty of space and comfort. Reliable gas motor that runs quiet. All pros in my book. The bed is very well executed and the storage boxes on the side have me thinking about ditching the short box on my F250 now.
Thank you Sir, building the flat bed allowed me to make my short box into a long box to fit the camper perfectly (7' 8") while keeping the maneuverability of the shorter wheelbase.

Reactions: TomasOC

Ed1774

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
O
Member #

Excellent build! I factory ordered a 2008 F-350 crew cab short bed V-10 myself back in the day, same color too. The V-10 is a great engine except for the stupid spark plug design.

Reactions: TravelinDan

TravelinDan

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Upstate New York
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Smith
We put 3,000 miles on the old truck over the last few weeks! we traveled through NY, VT, NH, PA, OH and MI. we spent most of the time in Michigan's UP and Drummond Island. We had a great time and the truck worked great!

Ferry from NY to VT

20210803_131520.jpg

First stop at the Great Lakes, Lake Huron

20210810_160744.jpg

Driving on a County road in Michigan's UP near Two Hearted River

IMG_1997.JPG

TravelinDan

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Upstate New York
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Smith
We have decided to build something different and are going to sell our truck camper project. We have enjoyed the build and experience, thanks for the help and inspiration! We are going to build a small tow behind to use with our Jeep.