Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Middleburg, FL
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Dawson
Member #

I just recently started a engine swap on our Jeep with 180,000 miles. It has taken 3 years planning between, 5.3 LS $17,000 installed), Cummins Repower ($12,000 installed) and a company in Phoenix 505 Performance (supposed to be $8,600 installed) that builds a 4.1 Storker motor from your 3.8. Our Jeep is my wife's daily driver so timing was critical and the main reason we went with 505 as they build it, crate it and send it to you for a weekend swap. Send them your block back and drive on. WELL that didn't happen quite as planned. Although the Jeep is running now and has a nice improvement in power it took 3 weeks, 48 quarts of oil, 3 oil pan gaskets, 3 timing cover gaskets, 3 water pump gaskets, Camshaft sensor, crankshaft sensor, knock sensor, new plugs and new wire set to get it to a running stage. Here is the pre swap dyno numbers. 149 HP and 173 Tq. Not bad for a 180,000 miles Jeep with 4.88 gears, 3.5" lift and 37" tires and hydro assist steering20171013_175752.jpg Dawson.jpg 20171007_082813.jpg Dawson.jpg .

Reactions: Jimmy P

radwelder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Middleburg, FL
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Dawson
Member #

Our first problem after install was NO oil pressure although I paid for their High Volume Oil pump ($495). Now we started with no oil pressure and although we had a pressure tank to prime it we thought maybe a bad pump so they sent us a second oil pump. When we pulled timing cover to change oil pump we never thought that it could be that they installed the wrong gasket. In fact when they sent the second oil pump they again sent the wrong gasket. Well the wrong gasket was blocking the oil passage.20171019_145657.jpg 20171019_145643.jpg

radwelder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Middleburg, FL
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Dawson
Member #

OK, now we have a running motor all be it running terribly but we knew it would need a trip to the dyno to reprogram the computer.20171023_095139.jpg

radwelder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Middleburg, FL
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Dawson
Member #

Well as soon as he starts playing around all kinds of Hell breaks loose, knocking noises, transmission locks in 3rd gear, revs limit out at 3,500 rpm. The Jeep shuts down in Limp Mode! The tuner says you got other problems, gives me some suggestions on what it could be based on the engine codes it is giving off and we roll it off and the dyno and load it back on the trailer.20171021_151413.jpg

radwelder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Middleburg, FL
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Dawson
Member #

Well the company "Over the Top Offroad" that did the engine swap was full up with projects and couldn't fit me in. They are a Great Company. Its been 10 days at this point (Engine swap took 12 hours) so back to my house and the main code I looked at was P0016. Cam shaft and crankshaft not in sync. So all new sensors installed again although they were already new for initial install. Bye the way all the pictures in this post are part of the almost 1 Gig of pictures and video to document the problems with this build and 505's quality. Started it up and still throwing codes, running and clanging. What could it be..................... NO it couldn't be that they installed the timing chain and gear set wrong could it? YEP! Off by 1 tooth. The dots are supposed to line up on chain and appose each other on the gears. Timing cover gasket #3, rent a gear puller, reset the gear and chain in correct spot.20171025_054552.jpg

radwelder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Middleburg, FL
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Dawson
Member #

So here we are today with it running, improper tune in it since he was trying to compensate for timing with the timing installed incorrectly waiting for our next trip to the dyno. Seat of the pants I can feel some more power then stock but how can i judge it that way. Im looking for 100 HP gain at the wheels. Time will tell.

dj_mccomas

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Louisville, KY
First Name
DJ
Last Name
McComas
Member #

Man, sorry the repower hasn't gone smooth. Hopefully things get lined out and I would be in contact with 505, this is not acceptable.

radwelder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Middleburg, FL
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Dawson
Member #

Man, sorry the repower hasn't gone smooth. Hopefully things get lined out and I would be in contact with 505, this is not acceptable.
Oh there is a whole back story to this build and 505 is working with me for compensation but didn't think that needed to be part of the thread other then DON'T use 505 Performance. As for the motor I believe it will be just what I was looking for.

Reactions: dj_mccomas

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

What hp & torque numbers are roughly expected? Hope 505 makes right the screw ups. I had a similar problem with a Vw stroker motor many years ago. Always super frustrating when you have your shit together, but someone else doesn't.

radwelder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Middleburg, FL
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Dawson
Member #

What hp & torque numbers are roughly expected? Hope 505 makes right the screw ups. I had a similar problem with a Vw stroker motor many years ago. Always super frustrating when you have your shit together, but someone else doesn't.
225-250 HP 275+ Tq. His motor if assembled correctly dyno 285-290 at crank. Tuners says im loosing about 50 hp with draintrain and tires. Will see Mon at 4pm if i can keep it running till then.

radwelder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Middleburg, FL
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Dawson
Member #

Well without going into detail yet I did make it to the dyno with a not 100% motor. There is a new motor on the way but from what i've seen with partial pulls it is looking good. Torque moved way down the rpm range and made great increases. Increased 60 lbs at 3,000 and 50 HP at 3,000 rpms. Power and torque came on alot faster and held on ok well past the rpms it will be driven. Also note that Dynos are meant to run in the gear closest to a 1:1 final drive ratio (3rd for me) but my Jeeps overdrive lock out is stuck and doesn't work currently so all pulls are in 2nd gear at a 1.57:1 ratio. Tuners says overall numbers would be higher with 3rd but difference in gain would be the same. New motor installed in 2 weeks and hopefully a real dyno run.

Attachments

radwelder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Middleburg, FL
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Dawson
Member #

Just wanted to pass along and update on the crap I'm dealing with on the 505 Performance crate motor I purchased. First and foremost I am not getting a new motor and hiring a lawyer and have reported 505 Performance to the BBB in Phoenix. The interior rattling is 3 failed hydraulic lifters. 505 will not stand behind there build and will not send me a new motor saying that the problems I've been having are from their suppliers parts and not them. That's total BS as they were the ones choose their vendors and theyt installed the wrong gasket for the oil pump, they installed timing gear set off by one tooth and now the lifter issues is supposedly not their fault either since I'm sure they failed to prime them and confirm they held pressure during setting the adjustment on the rocker clearance. So now that I have NO confidence in 505 Performance I'm taking the motor down, pulling the heads, and rechecking everything. The original purchase price of the motor is $6,000 I am very close to $11,000 with the extra labor, several fluid changes both oil and coolant and have a vested interest in Fel-Pro with all the gaskets I buy each time. I have not reused anything. Spread the word. You will see this post on several other forms in the near future to protect those that question using 505 Performance.

Stoked

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Celina, Tx
Member #

Sorry to hear about your issues with 505. A guy in my local Jeep club had the same issue with a stroker they built for his LJ. Took a year of work and nearly double the money to get it fixed. Seems like I see a similar story weekly about 505 Performance, and for the life of me, can't figure out how they are still in business.

radwelder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Middleburg, FL
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Dawson
Member #

Sorry to hear about your issues with 505. A guy in my local Jeep club had the same issue with a stroker they built for his LJ. Took a year of work and nearly double the money to get it fixed. Seems like I see a similar story weekly about 505 Performance, and for the life of me, can't figure out how they are still in business.
Its to bad because the power I'm getting out of a partial motor is great. Once I replace the bad lifters and get it squared away it will be just what i need. Just poor quality control.

Andrew Keay

Rank 0

Traveler I

I too have struggled with 505 performance. I bought just the stroker kit and did all the machining at my familys shop. Clearances were pretty big and the balancing of the cam was not ideal. I struggled with missing parts, wrong size parts, and oil pressure issues. Taken me a year and half to get it driveable but with way more money and stress then it should have. I have a throttle issue probably cause I had it tuned before the engine swap. Looking into that still. You are not alone, 505 is a shady company

Reactions: radwelder

Fellow Jeeper

Rank V

Influencer II

Latrobe Pa
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Bobincheck
Man that does suck. I was on jk forum and heard about the stroker and 505. Some others over there had problems. I have the 3.8 in my 2010. I'm trying to figure what I want to do when the time comes. I was thinking stroker but the cummins may be the choice. There is a company here in pa that does diesel swaps. Jeff Daniels is the name of the place I think. They do the 4bt. I'd do the new repower crate if they were up to the newer years. If cummins wants to use my jk as a ginie pig I'd send it lol. Best of luck with your issues.

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app