Electrical & Lighting:
Exterior:
  • Matte black emblems all around
  • Matte black Plastidip wheels
Communications:
Emergency / Recovery Gear:
First Aid Kit:
Photos:

North Padre Island (60 miles south of the nearest road.) BuddiPole in the bed.

Radio Gear from the driver's seat.

Last edited:

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

Love your setup.
Thanks!
I expect all of my antennas will be moved in the next 12 months. I'll also likely be replacing the Kenwood TM-D700 with a Yaesu FTM-400DR and will then move the TM-D700 to my desk with an APRS TNC as both an iGate, and message station.

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

Installed a bunch of lights on my truck, with several more coming.

Under Hood Anti Dark.

This replaced one screw holding the headlight, and activates the LEDs when the hood is opened.

Truck Bed Anti Dark. -- (comes on with the interior dome lamp)

Rear Camp/Reverse LED Pods

Front 30" LED Light Bar

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

When I get back to Austin I'll be moving the front LED Light Bar, and Reverse/Camp lights to the TrailToys NSA Box.
I also have a 44" LED Bar that I'll be building a mount for above the windshield, a full set of rock lights (using 4" COB LEDs), and a set of ditch light pods from Black Oak (4x 10w LED emitters per ditch light) to install.

That'll be five of my 8 circuits on the NSA

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

Acquired a second first aid kit for the truck.

Kit 1 is a Dixie Medical Trauma First Aid Kit: Link

Kit 2 is an Adventure Medical Kit Mountain Fundamentals Kit: Link

I'm looking at picking up some kind of water proof hard case to put the AMK kit into so I can attach the kit to my bed rails while I'm out camping/rock crawling. Otherwise I'll keep it locked in the truck bed tool box most of the time to avoid theft. The case is about 9" x 9" x 5.5".

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

Black Oak 2" 40w Pods -- These things are super well made, and bright! 3100 or so lumens each...

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

New Antennas, replacing previous antennas.

I replaced the two Comet SBB-1 dual band antennas with three mono-band antennas.

Back Wall of the truck. MFJ Duplexer to separate the single VHF/UHF output from my Kenwood TM-D700 into separate VHF and UHF antennas

The roof of the truck. I drilled three 3/4" holes to mount NMO Mounts through the roof. The front and rear antennas are Larsen 1/4 wave 2m. The Center is a PCTEL Maxrad phantom 70cm antenna

I moved the APRS Transmitter back into the storage box under the rear drivers side seat. This way I can re-program it without pulling the whole interior out of the truck.

Power for all of the radios comes into the center console, next to the shifter via 4AWG wires into a dual power distro block

The two heavier (12awg) wires here are 110v from the factory inverter which is under the arm rest. From Toyota the only outlet is in the back of the bed. I added one in the back of the center console for my daughter in the rear seat, and for my laptop charger while I'm flying solo.

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
@RyanC Maybe they work now? I moved my server over to requiring https. I've set it up to support either now.
They are working now. Thanks.

And wow that AnyTone CB is tiny! Would a neophyte such as myself have any issues getting SWR under control? (Mind I barely understand what SWR is)

I was looking at a Uniden BC680 or BC880 for the modern look and the wireless microphone but with a radio that small I might not need to hide it so thoroughly that I need a wireless mic.

Reactions: Lars

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
Hey Lars, since you are the radio guy, I ended up with a Midland 75-822 as a stopgap until I pick a permanent radio. I am wondering if I should put a dust-cap or a terminator on the BNC connector on top when it's connected to the antenna on my vehicle. It didn't come with anything so I am assuming it would be ok without, but if I want to optimize a little (I tend to overthink and over-engineer things), would a dust cap or terminator limit RF leakage or help with my SWR? I tried searching using google but couldn't find anything after a few hours of trying.