Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Colstrip, MT, USA
First Name
Nic
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Greeting all. I have decided to subject all interested parties to my newest overlanding build. This is taking off a little quicker than anticipated but more on that later...

I was in the process of building a 2003 Mitsubishi Montero that my family has owned for many years but it kept nickel and diming me to death. We bought it about 3 years ago thinking the only issue was a blown motor. I rebuilt the motor and we began discovering all the other neglected issues with the vehicle. While returning from Green Bay, WI on a work trip, the Montero died on me about a half an hour from home. Time to move on...

After a discussion with my wife, we decided it was time for me to finally give up on all my project vehicles (all 3) and buy something that was not a budget fixer. I have always been a project buyer. So this was a little foreign to me! My father had a 1st gen Tundra shortly after they came out. I loved that pickup. It had a comfortable ride, decent power, and decent MPG. With 3 boys an extended cab Tundra was going to be a little tight. I carry a decent amount of equipment, at times, for work so the box was a big benefit but it would have to have a lockable topper. My wife suggested I just get a Sequoia. I really wanted a Tundra but I was having trouble finding a 1st gen Tundra, with no rust, acceptable miles, without giving up my 1st born. Sequoias were a little more realistic in the price category. I agreed to test drive one if my equipment could fit in the back, 3rd row removed, 2nd row seat folded forward. It just so happened that our local Toyota dealer had just gotten one in! The pictures made the vehicle look like it was in decent shape and it was fully loaded. We took it for a test drive and it looked pretty good. One big selling point for me was the second row captains seats. The kids and wife, the dvd player... Never been a fan but that's a forum in and of it self. It had a shock that was on its way out and some other very minor issues but the price was good. I talked them down a little more due to the "needed work" and we purchased the Sequoia.

I give you the Soy-Quoia: (Named by my 5 year old who struggled with the name but we decided we liked his version better)

IMG_4122_720.jpg
I could salvage a few items from my Montero. Namely my communications and roof rack. I knew I was going to have to do some suspension work soon. I figured I'd have a couple months and then would have to install new shocks. I planned to lift the front 2.5" and the rear 1.5" at that time and install new shoes to go with the altitude adjustment. I have the self leveling rear which makes things a little more tricky to lift but did some research and figured out a way. I ordered the new shocks for the front and rear, front lift spacers, and a couple other small odds and ends that were not very necessary but I was ordering parts and could convince my wife they were "needed"! I was not exactly sure (still not 100% sure) which route I wanted to go for tires so those would come later. On our first trip out of town, the front left shock gave up the ghost. Crap. I haven't received the new shocks yet and I had to leave for 2 weeks on a work trip.

I left town on a bad shock and headed east for 2 weeks. Due to an impending storm, I headed home a day early and got a hotel room in Rogers, MN. I decided it was better to get a good nights sleep and head out in the morning than try to drive through the night on bad roads. I woke up and hit the road. Or try to hit the road. It was covered in snow and ice. I made it 120 of the 160 miles home before hydroplaning on slush, sending me into the new fancy metal center barricade. Much can be said about driving too fast, over driving your vehicles, yada yada yada. I have driven in some of the worst conditions in the past 20 years, and have never had a single accident! Bottom line is, I was not familiar enough with my vehicle and, having been gone from my family for too long, I was in too much of a hurry. Interesting fact though, the interstate was shut down very shortly after I had my accident.

I give you the barricade modified Soy:

IMG_4171_720.jpg

So, here I am... I feel lucky to have not had more damage. It looks bad but it's not as bad as it could have been. I severed a brake line and knocked the crap out of the drivers side wheel. (read have to have an alignment) I have full coverage on the vehicle and will wait to see what comes of it. However, I'm willing to bet the amount we get will pay off the little amount we financed and leave me a very decent amount for my new build.

So... With out further ado, my much accelerated build list:
OME 2886 Springs Front - Decided since I'm installing a winch bumper, I should do it right
Bilstein 5100 24-188265 Front
Bilstein 5100 33-187174 Rear
Treatwright 285/70/17 with matching spare
Wilco Hitchgate swing away spare tire holder with spare fuel and Hi-Lift Jack
Brute Force Fab Tundra winch bumper with LED fog lights and 20" LED light bar on top
Smittybilt X2O 10K winch with Synthetic rope
100 Series Snorkel Mod
Dual Optima battery setup
Roof rack swap from old vehicle
52" front LED light bar on rack, dual 4" LED pods of each side (rear 20" in future)
LED Headlight bulbs

I'm sure I'm forgetting some things but I will update as we go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tricklet03

nrlarson0107

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Colstrip, MT, USA
First Name
Nic
Last Name
Larson
Member #

So now that I just posted the build thread... Last Thursday I received my bumper. After much deliberation, I decided to have it painted to match. We got it mounted to the truck yesterday.

IMG_4326_720.jpg
The Smittybiilt X2O hidden in the bumper.

IMG_4327_720.jpg
Front view.

IMG_4328_720.jpg
Side view.

My wife and I leave for an anniversary trip on Friday. Once I get back I will install the lift, mount the tires, and install as much as possible before I have to hit the road for work. I will update as I get things completed.

Stay tuned!

Reactions: MBroenkow

revamp

Rank IV
Founder 500

Enthusiast II

Mansfield, TX
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Beyer
Member #

Inspiration for me! I plan on acquiring a Sequoia (new-to-me) in the next month or two (work issues pending) and will be slowly modifying it to my liking. I will try not to expedite the build by taking out the fender with a guard rail... not fun (sorry that happened...).

I look forward to seeing your progress and your thoughts on the parts you are using as you go. I am still doing my homework on specific parts, and what other people are doing. All part of the fun!

Cheers!

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Good to see people taking the sequoias overlanding those are great platforms for hauling a bunch of stuff and people. I almost bought one in 03 but Chevy gave me zero percent financing, and 5k off msrp. Toyota dealers don't give deals like that or I would have gone that route.

Reactions: ABTK01

Yamawammer

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Pocatello, ID, USA
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Gillespie
Member #

Any new updates with this build? Picking up a Sequoia here in a month or so (1st gen). A friend of mine bought one new in 04 and I have always loved these rigs.