2006 4runner Limited

• HTML tutorial

giarc1234

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Spanaway, WA
Member #

I would highly recommend the stage 2. It is a little more expensive than other kits but everything seems to be high quality with Icon. I've heard of people saying that the uniball squeaks but I've put a few drops of Dry Teflon Lube on mine once a week and had no problems after 10k miles. And apparently Icon is replacing the uniball with the Delta Joint that will have a grease fitting. I'll probably get one of those if and when my uniball needs to be rebuilt.

I am pretty impressed with the kit from what I have read and people are telling me about it, I am getting the LR UC arms so there should not be any squeaking out of that one. I think I will pull the trigger and get the kit. I am working with Metal Tech and John there is a pretty spot on guy in my opinion.

jimbohotwings

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

San Diego
Member #

One thing that I've learned from the overlanding community and specifally @Michael's videos is that you don't need all the Gucci stuff to go camping or overlanding. I do have many plans for my rig with a list of parts that I'm just itching to order but I knew I needed to start using what I had so I could see what I actually needed vs wanted. One thing I learned from my San Diego to Washington State trip was that I needed auxiliary lighting.

I've lived in Southern California for 2 years now and I've seen my share of Mall Crawlin 4x4's with 50 inch light bars. Never really made sense to me because I knew they were never going to race in the desert. I didn't see the point in so many lights so additional lights was just never added to my list of parts to install. I learned my lesson on Fortune Creek Trail in Washington though. Half way up the trail with the sun going down was the moment I realized that I need some more lights besides HID's that I installed last year. Anyways I installed some Rigid Spot Dually Side Shooters the other day and what an improvement. They throw a nice spot down trail and they also feature three LED's on the side that shine at a 45-degree angle, perfect for seeing 20-40 feet on the sides of the trail. I highly recommend them to say the least.20161129_133826 (1).jpg 20161129_133817.jpg

hellachris

Rank IV
Launch Member

Benefactor

Renton, WA
Member #

Awesome info on your build! Definitely agree with your statement about finding out what I need vs what I want by actually driving and using my trucks before "Gucci'ing" it out :) Looking forward to seeing how your rig transforms!

jimbohotwings

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

San Diego
Member #

A few updates to the 4runner build: My shrockwork sliders finally came. They seem like a quality product but they are extremely difficult to install in my opinion. I also installed a VR8000-S winch with a factor 55 pro link in my CBI bumper and I got my car audio guy to build a custom bracket for the solenoid. I really the love the easy access to the solenoid. Lastly, I received an incredible deal on a used Tepui awning from fellow San Diego t4R owner. It fit completely snug against my roof rack.

stickel

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stickel
Member #

How does the Garmin DriveSmart handle non-highway driving and route planning?

jimbohotwings

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

San Diego
Member #

It's definitely not ideal but it gets the job done. I usually find a map pack for the specific area I'm traveling to using the Basecamp app.

jimbohotwings

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

San Diego
Member #

Finally got the time to install my Mt. Hood CVT Tent. They had some incredible deals over Memorial Day weekend that I couldn't pass up. Hats off to them. And I gave the rig to GR Fabrication for a custom rear bumper. I wanted a tire carrier and light weight and from what we discussed I'm really excited for the finished product. More and better pictures after they complete the bumper.