2005 Tree Build aka "The General"

• HTML tutorial

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Those black pieces on the glass are the radio antenna, OEM.

I am (for now) doing a platform with space underneath for storage containers. (looking from hatch in). Plus I will tuck space around platform. It will be about 13" tall inside where storage is going, no drawers per say, storage containers which I will pull out as needed, mainly tools and stuff...

If any of that makes sense...LOL
I figured it was some kind of antenna but had not noticed one stock. Dad's 2004 tree still uses the automatic extending antenna on the passenger's side front fender. Generally works fine but like the rear hatch release prone to stop working and expensive to fix.

Yup platform makes sense. That is what I've used in the Tacoma for 20+ years. in the 4Runner my drawer system is ~12 1/2" tall and in the 4 Runner that makes for tight sleeping headroom. (I can't fully sit up and getting in and out can pose a challenge w/o the truck tailgate to work from.) I'd not considered this when doing my design since I was focused on the storage aspect and the sleeping platform was secondary. I know the Sequoia is a bit taller so I'd suggest put in a couple of milk crates/apple boxes and a stack up some plywood to 13" then see how comfortable it is for you at that height.

On the storage side I find that I wish my 2nd drawer was a split height since the big deep drawer tends to lose all of the smaller camping/recovery items. I understood this when I was building and did not want to add the extra 30lbs the 2nd drawer would have added to the existing 150lbs of my plywood setup. So working on a light weight tray setup for the rig now to resolve this.

Boort

Reactions: Jim SoG

Ryker

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Missouri, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Hen
Jim

I think that you'll love the Sherpa Rack.
Not sure if this applies to the 1st gen Sequoia or not. The nuts that hold the stock roof rack of my 2006 4 Runner were not welded but clipped and maybe glued in place and if you take them out in the wrong order you could go fishing in the headliner to retrieve them. or worse end up removing the interior of the truck from the rear floor mats up and fwd. IIRC In my case it was best to :
  • On drivers side for each mounting position completely undo the front bolt first and remove
  • then undo the rear bolt ~1/2 way
  • Lift up the rack and put a bolt back into the front with a washer to keep it from falling in.
  • then remove the rear bolt

• On Passenger side for each mounting position completely undo the rear bolt first and remove
  • then undo the front bolt ~1/2 way
  • Lift up the rack and put a bolt back into the rear nut with a washer to keep it from falling in.
  • then remove the Front bolt
Install the new rack in the reverse of above always keeping one bolt in the nuts so as not to let it slip and drop in.

I took the Drivers side front bracket off in the wrong order and it dropped in. Fishing the nut back up and into place through the holes in the roof took longer than the rest of the rack installation. (But still less time than pealing the interior completely out.) Here are a couple of pics taken after fishing and getting the bolt clipped back in place inside the roof with the Sherpa mount lightly held by Wire and a bolt while I assembled the rest of the rack.
View attachment 228187View attachment 228188
If you have any questions don't hesitate to reach out to Alex, Hayden and the team at Sherpa they were great to work with when I got my Rack and went above and beyond to make sure I was happy.

Boort
I’ll be doing this shortly so thanks for the post. That’s some really helpful info to know beforehand.

Ryker

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Missouri, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Hen
Hey Jim. I will soon be installing my Sherpa rack on my 01 sequoia. I plan to have 4 kayaks up there which weigh 52 lbs each. Have you had any heavy items that with the weight of the rack, get close to the 300 lb weight limit? I would like to also do a batwing 270 awning but that may be pushing it. Thanks!

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Hey Jim. I will soon be installing my Sherpa rack on my 01 sequoia. I plan to have 4 kayaks up there which weigh 52 lbs each. Have you had any heavy items that with the weight of the rack, get close to the 300 lb weight limit? I would like to also do a batwing 270 awning but that may be pushing it. Thanks!
I am close to 300 and walked on it no problem, have a side awning mounted (not 270), all good......

Jim

Reactions: Ryker

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Ok better pics of the cargo/sleep area, this is with back seats down, when up I will take another pick. Also I dont have my final medical bag mount yet, it is temp now. Also my 2 extinguishers are not final mounted, adding velcro.IMG_0857.jpgIMG_0858.jpg
Jim

Reactions: Boort and Todd S.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Well been a bit, so did the Lexus front brake mod thingy with power stop rotors and pads and complete power stop rears, no more scary brakes! I love the upgrade, also did braided steel brake lines all around.

Had an issue with my awning ( love it still) with the cover zipper getting jacked up, contacted the mfg and after some pics and stuff they sent me a whole new awning! ( I asked for just the cover), Talk about going above and beyond, nice.

Bought a Garmin Montana 700 GPS and love this thing, best of all it fits where my ipad used to go.

Getting ready to do air lockers in the rear with compressor. I was (Still new sitting on my bench) going to install the twin compressor and tank I bought in the spare tire area, but changed my mind, spare fuel tank is going there I believe. Anyway, lockers in the next month or so I hope.....

Jim

Reactions: zgfiredude

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Completed the Brake Upgrade: Lexus milled calipers and power stop rotors and pads up front and all power stop in the rear. Love it.
Braided Steel brake lines also....(gx460 big brake kit, SPC uppers, Crown brake lines.)

She stops soooo much better now.

Jim

Last edited:

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

Bought a trailer with RTT mounted, love having a sealed place to keep all my stuff, no more "packing and unpacking" every trip. Took it out to Death Valley a few weeks ago and love it!

Jim
A trailer is a game changer when it comes to packing up and tearing down camp. Looks great!