Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Hmmmm, roof racks and cheap don't go together much, lol. Take a look at Gamiviti Racks.....made in Denver area, AWESOME products and customer service...I don't see a Sequoia specific one, but think that the Series 1 Land Cruiser one might yours also......could check with them. The other similar manufacturer is GOBI, also based in Denver. I have a Gobi on my JKU...solid, quality product as well. Gobi is a build to order company, so the lead times can be longer. Their prices include shipping, and if you wanted to come get it, they will install for "free" while you wait in lieu of shipping.

Happy hunting!

Reactions: Jim SoG

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Trying to find a roof rack, oscillated between low profile or tall, short or long, finically decided full length and tall so I can accommodate more stuff up there,,,,, Now to find one for cheap.
Check out Sequoia Roof Rack | Sherpa Equipment Company I picked one up when they first brought out the 4th gen 4runner rack a few years ago. The guys were great to deal with and if you sign up for their email list and watch for the sales they do 10-15% off a few times a year (Tax day, 4th of July, and Black Friday stand out in memory). They are active over on t4R.org. Not sure how much shipping might kill the deal since I drove down to Fort Collins to pick mine up.

Boort

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Bought a used roof rack, painted it up, gotta build a couple crossbars then mount it.

Replaced timing belt and water pump, so good for another 100k or so.

Designed my rear storage/sleeping platform, will acquire materials soon.

Jim

Visiontrd

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Saint Charles, St. Charles County, Missouri, United States
First Name
Brent
Last Name
LaBonde
Member #

Trying to find a roof rack, oscillated between low profile or tall, short or long, finically decided full length and tall so I can accommodate more stuff up there,,,,, Now to find one for cheap.
Check out Sequoia Roof Rack | Sherpa Equipment Company I picked one up when they first brought out the 4th gen 4runner rack a few years ago. The guys were great to deal with and if you sign up for their email list and watch for the sales they do 10-15% off a few times a year (Tax day, 4th of July, and Black Friday stand out in memory). They are active over on t4R.org. Not sure how much shipping might kill the deal since I drove down to Fort Collins to pick mine up.

Boort
I have a sherpa roof rack and absolutely love it

Attachments

Reactions: Shahn and Boort

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Well rear hatch will not open
@Jim SoG

My folks have the same generation Sequoia. they were on a 3k mile grand loop of the West trip with their 130lb Newfoundland Dog when the hatch handle broke... Again. Trapping the dog in it's cage in the rear cargo area.
They had to unpack the whole truck, dismantle the crate, then coax the dog out through the side door so he could go take a leak. While they were doing this I managed to locate a local Toyota dealer who kept the parts in stock. One of their service guys came in before the dealership opened on a Saturday morning, did the repair, to get them back on the road.

Post up details on how the electric conversion goes. I know that the 4gen T4R's have problems with the electric rear hatchso would be interested to know if this solves the issue for you, incase the folks handle snaps again.

Boort

Reactions: Jim SoG

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Still waiting on delivery of my elec hatch gizmo.......
Decided to buy this aux fuel tank, 15 gals and it can go in roof basket on long trips (Not for shorter ones for sure) since I can not seem to find a rear swing out bumper that is not a kit..... Anyway this one was couple hundred bucks delivered with military discount: John Dow Crew Chief Fuel Station 15-Gallon, Steel, Model# 29578 | Northern Tool

Jim

Reactions: Shahn

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Latest update, got the electric hatch, installed, would not work every time, York sent another unit and installed, found the locking Toyota part is jamming up and the issue, not the York product, ordered another hatch locking part.
Installed my rack, (No the wind deflector yet), not sure I like it.....
IMG_0565.jpg

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Bought one of these for longer trips for fuel.....
Fuel Tank

I think it is going to work out great...... Again only temp mounted for longer trips, short ones I will have the traditional fuel cans....

Jim

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Bought a Wilco Tire Carrier for cheap, going to mod it to carry gas cans.....Pics when done

Jim

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Did not like my roof basket, so gonna sell it, ordered a Sherpa rack, cost a bunch but is aweso\me, pics when I get it and installed.....

Reactions: Visiontrd and Shahn

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Did not like my roof basket, so gonna sell it, ordered a Sherpa rack, cost a bunch but is awesome, pics when I get it and installed.....
Jim

I think that you'll love the Sherpa Rack.
Not sure if this applies to the 1st gen Sequoia or not. The nuts that hold the stock roof rack of my 2006 4 Runner were not welded but clipped and maybe glued in place and if you take them out in the wrong order you could go fishing in the headliner to retrieve them. or worse end up removing the interior of the truck from the rear floor mats up and fwd. IIRC In my case it was best to :
  • On drivers side for each mounting position completely undo the front bolt first and remove
  • then undo the rear bolt ~1/2 way
  • Lift up the rack and put a bolt back into the front with a washer to keep it from falling in.
  • then remove the rear bolt

• On Passenger side for each mounting position completely undo the rear bolt first and remove
  • then undo the front bolt ~1/2 way
  • Lift up the rack and put a bolt back into the rear nut with a washer to keep it from falling in.
  • then remove the Front bolt
Install the new rack in the reverse of above always keeping one bolt in the nuts so as not to let it slip and drop in.

I took the Drivers side front bracket off in the wrong order and it dropped in. Fishing the nut back up and into place through the holes in the roof took longer than the rest of the rack installation. (But still less time than pealing the interior completely out.) Here are a couple of pics taken after fishing and getting the bolt clipped back in place inside the roof with the Sherpa mount lightly held by Wire and a bolt while I assembled the rest of the rack.
Fishing1.jpgFishing2.jpg
If you have any questions don't hesitate to reach out to Alex, Hayden and the team at Sherpa they were great to work with when I got my Rack and went above and beyond to make sure I was happy.

Boort

Reactions: Ryker and Jim SoG

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Holy Cow! What a crap design..... Appreciate the heads up for sure.

Jim

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Got my Sherpa rack today, excited and got started only to find the brackets are wrong, so much for quality control after paying $1100!
IMG_0621.jpg

Rubber pieces are right, bracket no way... Also my center has 1 hole the brackets they sent have 2 for the center.....
Sent email, left phone msg but they only work Mon -Thurs so I am screwed till Monday and how ever long it takes them to get my parts to me!!!

Jim

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Have a friend going to weld up a sleeping platform for the back out of steel tubing, Can not wait.......

Will post pics when done.

Jim

Reactions: zgfiredude

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Ok Sherpa overnighted correct brackets, had a couple issues with the Generals mount nuts (striped) so I added riv-nuts, all good, all finished, love this rack!
@Jim SoG

Rack looks great! Glad to hear that Sherpa took care of that bracket situation.

What is that bump on the Drivers back 1/4 glass (just behind the C-Pillar)?

For the sleeper you going with full width drawers like Michael and Corrie? Or Single side to give more room to move?
I went with Double drawers over the full width on the 4runner. Since I'm the only one who ever sleeps on it, If I were to build again I would probably put drawers on the 40% side and a wide, shallow tray drawer on the 60% side to flatten tings out as the sleeping platform for more headroom.

Boort

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
@Jim SoG

Rack looks great! Glad to hear that Sherpa took care of that bracket situation.

What is that bump on the Drivers back 1/4 glass (just behind the C-Pillar)?

For the sleeper you going with full width drawers like Michael and Corrie? Or Single side to give more room to move?
I went with Double drawers over the full width on the 4runner. Since I'm the only one who ever sleeps on it, If I were to build again I would probably put drawers on the 40% side and a wide, shallow tray drawer on the 60% side to flatten tings out as the sleeping platform for more headroom.

Boort
Those black pieces on the glass are the radio antenna, OEM.

I am (for now) doing a platform with space underneath for storage containers. (looking from hatch in). Plus I will tuck space around platform. It will be about 13" tall inside where storage is going, no drawers per say, storage containers which I will pull out as needed, mainly tools and stuff...

If any of that makes sense...LOL

Reactions: Boort