Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I've been through quite a few rigs over the last year and nothing has compared to my 2013 Tacoma. However, the Taco was lacking "comfort". I'm 42 which is old, and was looking for something a little more livable. This is going to be a slower build than what I'm used to due to the cost of the project but that's ok. I've built trucks in 2 weeks and got bored pretty quick which has caused me to move on.

Even if nobody reads this, I'm probably going to use this as a progress thread for myself.

Current modifications:
TJM T17 Bumper
Warn 9.5XS Winch w/ synthetic line
Auxbeam 9" LED lights
OME 2" coil suspension lift (Converted from auto height control)
sPod switch
X2 Power group 27 AGM battery
Dobinsons drawer system
33" Goodyear Duratracs
Ironman 4x4 Snorkel
Ironman rated recovery points
Thule ski racks for fishing pole storage
ARB Dual compressor with Owl Expedition kit
Owl expedition media mount
Mount Hatch tailgate

Pending install:
Ditch brackets with KC single LED pods
200 Series LC wheels

Stuff done (Restoration and repairs)
Deep clean w/ ceramic coat and multiple paint touch ups.
Frame coating w/ fluid film (full cleaning to come of frame)
hood struts
all filters / fluids
High pressure fuel hose
Mobil 1 extended HM 5W-30
All zerks greased
All door speakers replaced with Polk audio. Rebuilt OEM subwoofer
Timing belt / waterpump completed
Fuel tank replaced
A/C condenser replaced
Entire exhaust system replaced

338441127_209288448259787_50999106775635052_n.jpg

336920230_2127964907402024_2476604753570449739_n.jpg

Last edited:

OperationContingency

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Morganton, NC
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Shores
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I've been through quite a few rigs over the last year and nothing has compared to my 2013 Tacoma. However, the Taco was lacking "comfort". I'm 42 which is old, and was looking for something a little more livable. This is going to be a slower build than what I'm used to due to the cost of the project but that's ok. I've built trucks in 2 weeks and got bored pretty quick which has caused me to move on.

Even if nobody reads this, I'm probably going to use this as a progress thread for myself.

Current modifications:
TJM T17 Bumper
Warn 9.5XS Winch w/ synthetic line
Auxbeam 9" LED lights
OME 2" coil suspension lift (Converted from auto height control)
sPod switch
X2 Power group 27 AGM battery
Dobinsons drawer system
33" Goodyear Duratracs
Ironman 4x4 Snorkel
Ironman rated recovery points
Thule ski racks for fishing pole storage

Pending install:
ARB dual compressor with SLEE kit
Ditch brackets with KC single LED pods
200 Series LC wheels
Mountainhatch tailgate cover

Stuff done (Restoration and repairs)
Deep clean w/ ceramic coat and multiple paint touch ups.
Frame coating w/ fluid film (full cleaning to come of frame)
hood struts
all filters / fluids
High pressure fuel hose
Mobil 1 extended HM 5W-30
All zerks greased
All door speakers replaced with Polk audio. Rebuilt OEM subwoofer
Timing belt / waterpump completed
Fuel tank replaced
A/C condenser replaced
Entire exhaust system replaced

View attachment 256950

View attachment 256951
Can’t wait to watch the build. I’ve had a 2108 4R for 5 years and really thinking of moving to the GX or LX. My daily is a Lexus es and I love the comfort on it.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Can’t wait to watch the build. I’ve had a 2108 4R for 5 years and really thinking of moving to the GX or LX. My daily is a Lexus es and I love the comfort on it.
I love the ES. I have an Acura TLX as a DD but my wife just got a new 2023 RX 350. I've been lurking for a DD ES or possibly IS at some point.

342313407_612297537605029_2750601303545256513_n.jpg

343089083_1211430376409584_4924250206859531942_n.jpg

OperationContingency

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Morganton, NC
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Shores
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force

diabetiktaco

Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I love the ES. I have an Acura TLX as a DD but my wife just got a new 2023 RX 350. I've been lurking for a DD ES or possibly IS at some point.

View attachment 256953

View attachment 256952
#jelly.
I’m jelly. I tried to talk her into a T4R but she wasn’t having it. I don’t blame here but I’d have went 4runner myself.

RAMf1

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Castro Valley, Alameda County, California, United States
First Name
Russell
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Looking good! I have a 2006 LX470 and it’s taken me everywhere I’ve wanted to go…The AHC system is amazing at smoothing out the washboards of Death Valley and it easily goes into high mode when I need the extra height to clear obstacles. So far, no dings on the full Asfir Skid Plates though I did use the Metaltech sliders going over Mengel Pass. I’m 64 now and I wouldn’t trade this vehicle for anything!

diabetiktaco

Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Looking good! I have a 2006 LX470 and it’s taken me everywhere I’ve wanted to go…The AHC system is amazing at smoothing out the washboards of Death Valley and it easily goes into high mode when I need the extra height to clear obstacles. So far, no dings on the full Asfir Skid Plates though I did use the Metaltech sliders going over Mengel Pass. I’m 64 now and I wouldn’t trade this vehicle for anything!
I need to get skids and sliders at some point as well. I'm just going to keep an eye out for used stuff and when I get more impatient I'll place an order..

diabetiktaco

Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Took the plastic blanks out and installed some TJM indicator lights. Wired them directly to the sPod since I don't really need them to be turn signals.
Also removed the AHC stuff from under the hood (no pic) and got my new OEM key cut and programmed. Paid $121 at local locksmith v. dealer at $475.

346104750_249213854447880_6476463136310896069_n.jpg

346105310_240045565284554_5608203595590820976_n.jpg

Reactions: Dougnuts

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

In Europe this was called Landcruiser Prado J120, came with a 3l diesel. I had one for a few years and I regret selling it. Honestly since than I went trough a few other vehicles, but I always think back at this and smile. All else after was some kind of compromise for me. Either to unreliable, or not comfortable enough, and so on. In about 3 years I will probably move and also start travelling more outside Europe and I seriously consider to swap back to this.
They are a very nice mix of comfort and capability. Before I got the Wrangler I currently own I did a drive test with the newer model ( still in production, the curent generation prado ) , and at least the last facelift was tuned for a sporty ride, like this can ever be a sport car, and the engine, while on theory was better it was sounding like it was struggling non-stop..
Very nice - good luck with the build.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
@leeloo This is a LX470 based on the J100 Land Cruiser, not a GX470 that is based on the smaller J120 Prado.

@diabetiktaco Nice, clean, 100 series!!! I really like the pearl white on the LX. How many miles are on it? I have a 99 LC with over 380k miles and really enjoy the platform.

Don't forget to change the heater tee's :tonguewink:

diabetiktaco

Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

In Europe this was called Landcruiser Prado J120, came with a 3l diesel. I had one for a few years and I regret selling it. Honestly since than I went trough a few other vehicles, but I always think back at this and smile. All else after was some kind of compromise for me. Either to unreliable, or not comfortable enough, and so on. In about 3 years I will probably move and also start travelling more outside Europe and I seriously consider to swap back to this.
They are a very nice mix of comfort and capability. Before I got the Wrangler I currently own I did a drive test with the newer model ( still in production, the curent generation prado ) , and at least the last facelift was tuned for a sporty ride, like this can ever be a sport car, and the engine, while on theory was better it was sounding like it was struggling non-stop..
Very nice - good luck with the build.
Funny, I got rid of my Land Rover because that was too unreliable. :) Thank you!

diabetiktaco

Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

@leeloo This is a LX470 based on the J100 Land Cruiser, not a GX470 that is based on the smaller J120 Prado.

@diabetiktaco Nice, clean, 100 series!!! I really like the pearl white on the LX. How many miles are on it? I have a 99 LC with over 380k miles and really enjoy the platform.

Don't forget to change the heater tee's :tonguewink:
Thanks! It's got 162,000 on it. It's not perfect but it's close and as you can see I've been replacing stuff every week to get it to perfect.

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Nice build. LX470 is my plan for my next vehicle. I keep bouncing between the LX470/LC100 or a GX460.