Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
There were no splices to do, I swapped then entire wiring harness in the door. So plugged it in to the connector in the door frame and to the related door connections for latch/window/etc.

Windows and locks still works, just thinks the door is open, so the lights stay on and I get the constant notification in the overhead.
Ahh I see. Wonder if it's a bad door sensor.

KPMetrics

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Vermont
Member #

Brand new latch unit, brand new wiring harness. It's driving me mad...

And right after I got my rear storage system just the way I want it and loaded up with gear for a weekend away.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Brand new latch unit, brand new wiring harness. It's driving me mad...

And right after I got my rear storage system just the way I want it and loaded up with gear for a weekend away.
I'm at a loss. Unless there's an issue further up stream from it...I can't really say

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

If I recall correctly, there should be an adjustment to the latch switch. Also, it could be a computer hang up. Pull the negative battery connection for a few minutes to reset the computers. I went through something similar on an 04 WJ.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
If I recall correctly, there should be an adjustment to the latch switch. Also, it could be a computer hang up. Pull the negative battery connection for a few minutes to reset the computers. I went through something similar on an 04 WJ.
@KPMetrics

Roebe1

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

San Marcos, TX, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Roeber
Alas, mine has developed the issue where it thinks the left rear door is always open. Replaced the latch, replaced the door wiring harness. Not fixed yet. There's a bad wire lurking somewhere between that door and home and it keeps killing the battery.

The last 4 days I would have had this out on a trail I've spent troubleshooting the problem.

My time is very limited, I may just switch over to using my '16 F150.

Hell, it's only got 17k miles on it.
I had this happen with my WJ. It is the wiring harness in the driver door that links everything together from the drivers door controls. The funny thing about this harness is that also is apart of the information feedback loop/circuit to your BCM (Body Control module). My door was causing the wiring to fray, then eventually became severed. When the disconnect finally occurred all my power to all doors went down as well as my overhead vehicle information console went blank on outdoor temp readings, compass, and doors info. I dove into that door and repaired and damaged wires with solder and heat shrink wire wrapped and it's been a non issue ever since. I will say, if this problem is left to persist, it will eventually short out your BCM cause a world of trouble and it's an expensive fix at that time. Friggin Jeep and their electrical probs, am I right?!IMG_0325.JPGIMG_0332.JPG

Reactions: Stepsride and DanW

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

Just a photo dump of some sloppy back road exploration over a couple days. Water was deep the first and receded some for the next.View attachment 112923View attachment 112924View attachment 112925View attachment 112926View attachment 112927View attachment 112928View attachment 112929View attachment 112930
Those look like Wrangler Moab wheels on your WJ. Are you running wheel spacers? What size tires? I just picked up 5 JL Wrangler wheels/tires with only 6k miles on them for next to nothing. The tires are 245/75/17. I'm wondering if we'll have any rubbing issues. We are currently running the stock suspension with no lift.

Those are GREAT looking Jeeps, btw!

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Those look like Wrangler Moab wheels on your WJ. Are you running wheel spacers? What size tires? I just picked up 5 JL Wrangler wheels/tires with only 6k miles on them for next to nothing. The tires are 245/75/17. I'm wondering if we'll have any rubbing issues. We are currently running the stock suspension with no lift.

Those are GREAT looking Jeeps, btw!
They're the JK Moab wheels in 17in so no spacers needed. Running LT245/70R17 of the Falken Wildpeak AT3W's. They measure out to about 31". You will probably need a lift before going to that size since I think WJ's only ran 235/70R17's in a P-load range which were maybe 29in, which is similar in size to what I ran when stock height. Luckily you have better backspacing to accommodate so you might get lucky with minimal rubbing. I'd still suggest a lift since your springs are probably worn and the rake of the front end might hinder the use of the new wheels/tires.

Thanks for the comment on the rigs. The WK is running about the same lift or slightly taller with Hard Rock wheels off a JK and maybe 31-32" tires.

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

They're the JK Moab wheels in 17in so no spacers needed. Running LT245/70R17 of the Falken Wildpeak AT3W's. They measure out to about 31". You will probably need a lift before going to that size since I think WJ's only ran 235/70R17's in a P-load range which were maybe 29in, which is similar in size to what I ran when stock height. Luckily you have better backspacing to accommodate so you might get lucky with minimal rubbing. I'd still suggest a lift since your springs are probably worn and the rake of the front end might hinder the use of the new wheels/tires.

Thanks for the comment on the rigs. The WK is running about the same lift or slightly taller with Hard Rock wheels off a JK and maybe 31-32" tires.
Yeah, I think even 1.5" would be essential, but would do the trick. The springs on our WJ are actually in surprisingly good shape. We're debating, however, a spring vs. spacer lift. The spacer's price point is better, so it may get the nod. I really like the Old Man Emu 1.5, but it is just too expensive at close to $1k.

Any thoughts on good places to shop for WJ lifts? I'll post up some pics when we try the wheels out. I'll likely throw them on this weekend and do a rub test. A couple of guys on Jeepforums said they have run that size on Wrangler rims and only rubbed in reverse at full steering lock. I'd imagine it would be worse than that, but we'll see.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Yeah, I think even 1.5" would be essential, but would do the trick. The springs on our WJ are actually in surprisingly good shape. We're debating, however, a spring vs. spacer lift. The spacer's price point is better, so it may get the nod. I really like the Old Man Emu 1.5, but it is just too expensive at close to $1k.

Any thoughts on good places to shop for WJ lifts? I'll post up some pics when we try the wheels out. I'll likely throw them on this weekend and do a rub test. A couple of guys on Jeepforums said they have run that size on Wrangler rims and only rubbed in reverse at full steering lock. I'd imagine it would be worse than that, but we'll see.
I would not go spacer lift after using the OME springs. IRO springs are good from what I hear but the shocks are junk. I really like my Bilsteins and IRO has them for less for a set of 4. Spacers aren't a bad way to lift, but with adding the weight of all the camping gear and then wheels and tires, it was a no-brainer to upgrade suspension components. I think Clayton has WJ springs, but I'm unaware.I remember when I switched fron the stock suspension to the OME springs and Bilstein 5100's on stock wheels and tires. I gains about 2.5-3in total before it all settled and before larger tires. I think I still yielded 2in or better overall once it settled in. I have heard of using JK springs, but since our WJ's can handle more weight, I recommend sticking with WJ specific springs. OME kits can be had off Rocky Road for less than anywhere I've seen. I think at the time I ordered mine from Quadratec, I think the free shipped was my motivator.

Reactions: Stepsride and DanW

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

If you are looking for a good price for a WJ lift get in touch with Kolak, he is very knowledgeable when it comes to the WJ and prices are good. I got a 3" IRO lift for around $500, I went with Procomp shocks just because i was cheap and didn't want to spring for Bilstiens yet (plan to move up to 6.5" longarm once I get the rest of the mechanical stuff upgraded) I'm running 265/75R17 on 4.5" backspace wheels, had to trim the bumper and back side of the fender but with 245/70R17 and 3" you wouldn't have to trim. The lift rides great (could be better with Bilstiens) and at only 3" on factory CA you don't have to worry about DW. Only thing I'm wanting to add to the suspension for now is the HD swaybar in the back and quick disconnects in the front.

Reactions: DanW

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Apologies for the lack of updates. Life sort of got crazy with the holiday season and I never got around to posting updates. I took a weekend trip to the Ozark NF the day after Thanksgiving which is about 5.5-6hrs away. Prior to the trip, I changed all of the oils, both gear and motor. Surprisingly all of the gear oil (diff and tcase) were still in decent shape after about 30k on them. It had been misting all day with a chance for rain...again. It flat out dumped on me up until the next morning. It was so bad that my fire that finally got going was drenched. I spent the evening under my awning, making dinner and listening to the rain. I opted to sleep in the rig since the ground was already saturated and was now a swamp. The next morning the rain quit around 9am. I sat under my awning for about 2 hours watching and listening to the rain while I enjoyed some hot coffee. Once it let up and I noticed the radar was clear, I promptly packed up camp and hit the trail. The NF roads were in great shape, so I was hopeful that the trail would be driveable. When I got to the actual trail head, all seemed well. I aired down to about 18-20psi and crawled forward. I hist my first obstacle, which the picture I took did not justice for. It was a series of stair steps. The ground was saturated but surprisingly grippy. There were sections I had to bypass given how tight and washed out the trail was, but I drove most of it. It was rather rocky in sections, testing my self-spotting abilities. Because I didn't have a spotter, I opted to stack rocks in places that were questionable. I crossed the same creek 4 times on this trail, depths varrying from knee to waist deep. I walked each section and found the optimal line as the was was rushing from the recent rain fall. Nearly got stuck in a lowland section where it was muddy and there were holes deep with water. The exit on one hole had some major ruts and I bottomed the front diff well before I could get out. I took a new line and was well on my way. As I began the climb out of the valley and away from the water, I pulled over and let three UTV's pass from the opposite direction. They were rather surprised to see me. They asked about the trail behind me. I explained the water and the steep rocky sections. They assess and decided to turn around before the water as it would be up to their doors or taller. As I left them, I hit a fork in the road. The route I mapped out in Gaia using MVUM's said to go one way, but the actual MVUM I got from the ranger station said to go the other way. I opted to follow my route and quickly turned around after realizing there had not been any traffic on that section and I was getting some good pin-striping. Once I exited the trail and aired back up, I opted to look for a free site versus a paid site. I lucked out and found one just off of an NF road. The ground was still wet, even for as high up as I was so I opted to sleep in the rig yet again. Not so comfortable, but I was warmer and dry. I got a solid fire going and set up camp. I cooked up some dinner and cracked open a few cold ones to enjoy the sunset and the quiet. The next morning I assessed any trail damage. I had broken the tailpipe off from the muffler, but that section miraculously had rusted out after 2-3 years. Granted it was a cheap fix that I anticipated getting fixed sooner, but after $90, I had a new section welded in and everything was solid. I also had a shimmy and clunk in the front end. I checked over everything and greased up what I could. Nothing seemed broken or loose, but the ball joints were something I haven't had to replace as they checked out good each time I took it in for tire rotates (Free w/ my tire purchase) and an alignment. Well, this weekend I decided to just replace them as I could not figure out what was causing the issue. It seemed to go away and come back, only to get progressively worse. I barely have driven the rig since then. I have checked and rechecked all suspension bolts and regreased everything. Turns out the bottom ball joints were toast and the tops were worn, but still good. I am still cautiously driving it to be certain that isn't the only thing wrong. So far so good. I don't really have major plans for the rig this year. Mainly just acquiring gear that can be transferred to the next rig, as my main plan is to save for a new rig. The WJ can handle what I throw at it, but it isn't going to haul all the kiddos and dogs for all the trips we want to go on. So for this year, I'll focus on any maintenance on the rig and put miles on it. I plan on getting my HAM license and getting a solid HAM for the rig. No more CB! I'll also be assessing the campsite gear and the gear each person needs. I think the main thing to do is become more efficient with packing and our setup overall. I have also been teaching some outdoor clinics over various topics. I hope to teach some at Expo Mountain West this year.

Reactions: KonzaLander

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Great pics and recap of your trip! Sounds like the WJ did it's job and got you back home.
Definitely! Still giving me some noise after the ball joint replacement. I was going to hit you up for those cups but I had a friend in town with them thankfully. Not sure what else would give me a solid clunk like that. Steering and handling are improved with the new ball joints tho.

Reactions: KonzaLander

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
My three main concerns this year are comms, recovery, and first aid. HAM license should take care of the comms, I have actiontrax and a tow strap, but I think a better jack and a come-along may be in order. If I stumble upon a cheap winch bumper, I might go that route too for added piece of mind. First aid is somewhat a tricky subject because some folks say to go all out and others run a basic kit. I tend to want to be more prepared, but how much is too much? I have a kit with things in it that I know how to use. I can treat a lot of injuries with the background I have from my Boy Scout years and other training I've received. I think the key things I picked up from a first aid course I attended was the need for tourniquets especially and some SAM splints. I plant on revamping my first aid kit to expand a little into more of a trama kit, if you will, so I can handle some more extreme injuries if needed. These are definitely in addition to more miles and maintenance on the WJ, but I feel these will be essential to more remote travel. I definitely want to outfit my family with better outdoor wear and increase their knowledge. I realized after Expo and teaching these courses that I am more knowledgeable than I give myself credit for, so I plan on teaching them as much as I can, and then figure out where I cannot provide adequate knowledge for them. Camping gear is something I will possibly never be 100% happy with. I like to vary my setup for many situations, however that gets costly and I accumulate a TON of gear that way. I am somewhat of a minimalist but I'm also one that likes being prepared. I want to look as small improvements to my base camp setup, especially with the sleep systems and kitchen. I have been longing for a fridge so that may be in the future for the kitchen. Definitely will help out with the dog food since we raw feed out dogs.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

My three main concerns this year are comms, recovery, and first aid. HAM license should take care of the comms, I have actiontrax and a tow strap, but I think a better jack and a come-along may be in order. If I stumble upon a cheap winch bumper, I might go that route too for added piece of mind. First aid is somewhat a tricky subject because some folks say to go all out and others run a basic kit. I tend to want to be more prepared, but how much is too much? I have a kit with things in it that I know how to use. I can treat a lot of injuries with the background I have from my Boy Scout years and other training I've received. I think the key things I picked up from a first aid course I attended was the need for tourniquets especially and some SAM splints. I plant on revamping my first aid kit to expand a little into more of a trama kit, if you will, so I can handle some more extreme injuries if needed. These are definitely in addition to more miles and maintenance on the WJ, but I feel these will be essential to more remote travel. I definitely want to outfit my family with better outdoor wear and increase their knowledge. I realized after Expo and teaching these courses that I am more knowledgeable than I give myself credit for, so I plan on teaching them as much as I can, and then figure out where I cannot provide adequate knowledge for them. Camping gear is something I will possibly never be 100% happy with. I like to vary my setup for many situations, however that gets costly and I accumulate a TON of gear that way. I am somewhat of a minimalist but I'm also one that likes being prepared. I want to look as small improvements to my base camp setup, especially with the sleep systems and kitchen. I have been longing for a fridge so that may be in the future for the kitchen. Definitely will help out with the dog food since we raw feed out dogs.
For recovery, especially if you travel solo, a winch is a must IMHO. I'm doing a hidden winch mount with my stock bumper on my WJ, I'll let you know how it all goes.

As for first aid, I really need to step-up my supplies and knowledge there. Any good resources you suggest?

-TJ