Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
B
Last Name
W
Member #

Last November I bought a soccer mom's old Tahoe with 171000 miles, so still somewhat young. Fully loaded with stuff I'll never use, like the DVD player. I bought it for overlanding/towing because I wanna do some more autocross/track days with my Sonic and, due to its mods, is near unbearable on the interstate for more than 30mins.

First thing I did was put on some 265/70/17 General Grabber ATX to replace the KO2's that had turned to basically drag slicks

Next was new headlights as a Christmas gift and some cheapo led pods

IMG_20190215_220447.jpg

Next was the interior bed platform with a notch cut out to get in and out. Still need some kind of mattress pad

MVIMG_20190203_170631.jpg
IMG_20190202_173812.jpg

Most recently was a trailer brake controller, new radio (spoiled by Bluetooth in the other car), and Bilstein 5100s all the way around

IMG_20190223_163906.jpg

More will come over time bit it will be slow going for now

UltimaSanctus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
B
Last Name
W
Member #

So this happened today...

IMG_20190502_170819.jpg

Noticed it was bubbling earlier this week so I set up an appointment to get it and the passenger window tint replaced Friday. Guess it was pretty good timing

Reactions: MazeVX

UltimaSanctus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
B
Last Name
W
Member #

So a week or so ago, a coworker told me about a problem for the 99-07 4wd GM trucks and SUV's called "pump rub." Basically, in the transfer case, the aluminum oil pump is on the main shaft "floating" in the magnesium tail housing. Since aluminum is stronger than magnesium, and there will be movement/vibration of the pump, the pump will slowly wear through the housing and eventually cause a leak. I bought a fix kit from Merchant Automotive which comes with a new, thicker pump half that spreads the load better on the housing compared to the factory "knife edge."

So after a couple days of using my parents garage (cause I don't have one) I got the t-case out, pulled it apart to swap the pump parts, and found out that A) It's been apart before, most likely to replace a leaking tail housing, and B) that this newer housing was already worn down maybe 3/16 of an inch.

So now that everything is back together and I have yet to see any leaks I have much better peace of mind on this truck. However, I also feel like the weight gain from using an aluminum housing instead of magnesium would have prevented this completely.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
So a week or so ago, a coworker told me about a problem for the 99-07 4wd GM trucks and SUV's called "pump rub." Basically, in the transfer case, the aluminum oil pump is on the main shaft "floating" in the magnesium tail housing. Since aluminum is stronger than magnesium, and there will be movement/vibration of the pump, the pump will slowly wear through the housing and eventually cause a leak. I bought a fix kit from Merchant Automotive which comes with a new, thicker pump half that spreads the load better on the housing compared to the factory "knife edge."

View attachment 106531

So after a couple days of using my parents garage (cause I don't have one) I got the t-case out, pulled it apart to swap the pump parts, and found out that A) It's been apart before, most likely to replace a leaking tail housing, and B) that this newer housing was already worn down maybe 3/16 of an inch.

View attachment 106532

So now that everything is back together and I have yet to see any leaks I have much better peace of mind on this truck. However, I also feel like the weight gain from using an aluminum housing instead of magnesium would have prevented this completely.
I had the 'pump rub' on my 02 2500hd. When we discovered it the transfer case was nearly dry. While I had them down there I had them replace the diff cover as well.

bm (2).jpeg

Reactions: UltimaSanctus

Dpie1495

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lincoln, NE, USA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Piening
Member #

Got any side pictures would like to see a better picture of it! Also I got an 02 I’d like to setup for overlanding!

UltimaSanctus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
B
Last Name
W
Member #

Got any side pictures would like to see a better picture of it! Also I got an 02 I’d like to setup for overlanding!
I guess this is really the closest thing to a side shot that I have. Haven't been able to do anything with it or go anywhere in a while due to an extremely unpredictable work schedule

IMG_20190525_113311.jpg

Reactions: Dpie1495

UltimaSanctus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
B
Last Name
W
Member #

Long post:

So I guess it's been a while since I've updated this thread but since the last update I've done a few things.

In April/May I picked up a RIGd tire carrier when they had a sale

MVIMG_20200517_155532.jpg

Not long after that I had a flowmaster 50 delta flow muffler welded in for just a bit more noise without being obnoxious

Over the summer my gauge cluster died (common problem on early-mid 2000's GM) and shipped it out to be repaired and have a transmission temp gauge added in

IMG_20200727_190744.jpg

Last month I added an AirRaid intake tube and AEM dryflow filter to smooth the airflow coming into the engine. The new tube essentially deletes all the added sound dampening sections

PXL_20201104_213518343.jpg

And finally this week I've added Diode Dynamics SS3 fog lights to replace the cheap amazon ones and Method MR702 wheels on 285/70/R17 General Grabber ATX tires

PXL_20201217_203916536.jpg

PXL_20201217_203901963.jpg

So that's basically how she sits right now. I have a 18" light bar from Diode Dynamics as well it's just not installed yet

PXL_20201217_195132496.jpg

Reactions: RoarinRow

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Long post:

So I guess it's been a while since I've updated this thread but since the last update I've done a few things.

In April/May I picked up a RIGd tire carrier when they had a sale

View attachment 180511

Not long after that I had a flowmaster 50 delta flow muffler welded in for just a bit more noise without being obnoxious

Over the summer my gauge cluster died (common problem on early-mid 2000's GM) and shipped it out to be repaired and have a transmission temp gauge added in

View attachment 180514

Last month I added an AirRaid intake tube and AEM dryflow filter to smooth the airflow coming into the engine. The new tube essentially deletes all the added sound dampening sections

View attachment 180515

And finally this week I've added Diode Dynamics SS3 fog lights to replace the cheap amazon ones and Method MR702 wheels on 285/70/R17 General Grabber ATX tires

View attachment 180519

View attachment 180518

So that's basically how she sits right now. I have a 18" light bar from Diode Dynamics as well it's just not installed yet

View attachment 180520
Very nice Tahoe all the way around. I'm a big fan of the K5 Blazers from the 70s and 80s, and the k1500 big Blazers from the early 90s. These Tahoes are the closest thing to them, so I'm a big fan. Following

UltimaSanctus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
B
Last Name
W
Member #

Aside from my own truck or a 70's or 90's big Blazer, I would probably get one of these or the 07-13s. Big fan
My first vehicle was a '93 K1500 Blazer. Oil pump failed one day and had to sell it cause at the time I couldn't afford a new motor

47273.png.jpg

I also thought about getting an '07-14 but the towing rating is abysmal for a vehicle that size. From what I've read it's only about 5000lbs compared to my '04's 7300lbs

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

My first vehicle was a '93 K1500 Blazer. Oil pump failed one day and had to sell it cause at the time I couldn't afford a new motor

View attachment 180552

I also thought about getting an '07-14 but the towing rating is abysmal for a vehicle that size. From what I've read it's only about 5000lbs compared to my '04's 7300lbs
Ah, yes! I had both a 94 and a 93 k1500 and someday, by the powers that be, shall I have one again! The last one was donated to Kars for Kids on account of the frame cracking on either side of the fuel tank.

Chevy may be selling a reasonable amount of these new Nissan Muranos they call Blazers, but I think they made a huge miscalculation by not bringing back a simple, rugged 2 door wagon of an SUV like this. Hell, I believe while Ford hit a home run with the new Bronco and Bronco Sport, they would do well to introduce an F150 based2 door Bronco "XLT" or something.

We cant even get a single cab short bed in this country anymore.

Anyway, nice work on your Tahoe!

Reactions: UltimaSanctus