2004 Tahoe Z71

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

UltimaSanctus

Rank V

Advocate III

Greenville, SC, USA
Member #

Last November I bought a soccer mom's old Tahoe with 171000 miles, so still somewhat young. Fully loaded with stuff I'll never use, like the DVD player. I bought it for overlanding/towing because I wanna do some more autocross/track days with my Sonic and, due to its mods, is near unbearable on the interstate for more than 30mins.

First thing I did was put on some 265/70/17 General Grabber ATX to replace the KO2's that had turned to basically drag slicks

Next was new headlights as a Christmas gift and some cheapo led pods

IMG_20190215_220447.jpg

Next was the interior bed platform with a notch cut out to get in and out. Still need some kind of mattress pad

MVIMG_20190203_170631.jpg
IMG_20190202_173812.jpg

Most recently was a trailer brake controller, new radio (spoiled by Bluetooth in the other car), and Bilstein 5100s all the way around

IMG_20190223_163906.jpg

More will come over time bit it will be slow going for now

UltimaSanctus

Rank V

Advocate III

Greenville, SC, USA
Member #

So this happened today...

IMG_20190502_170819.jpg

Noticed it was bubbling earlier this week so I set up an appointment to get it and the passenger window tint replaced Friday. Guess it was pretty good timing

Reactions: MazeVX

UltimaSanctus

Rank V

Advocate III

Greenville, SC, USA
Member #

So a week or so ago, a coworker told me about a problem for the 99-07 4wd GM trucks and SUV's called "pump rub." Basically, in the transfer case, the aluminum oil pump is on the main shaft "floating" in the magnesium tail housing. Since aluminum is stronger than magnesium, and there will be movement/vibration of the pump, the pump will slowly wear through the housing and eventually cause a leak. I bought a fix kit from Merchant Automotive which comes with a new, thicker pump half that spreads the load better on the housing compared to the factory "knife edge."

So after a couple days of using my parents garage (cause I don't have one) I got the t-case out, pulled it apart to swap the pump parts, and found out that A) It's been apart before, most likely to replace a leaking tail housing, and B) that this newer housing was already worn down maybe 3/16 of an inch.

So now that everything is back together and I have yet to see any leaks I have much better peace of mind on this truck. However, I also feel like the weight gain from using an aluminum housing instead of magnesium would have prevented this completely.

Reactions: MazeVX