Lebanon, PA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Dunbar
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I've been wanting to make a build thread for a while. Unfortunately, I have already done some work on my Jeep, so I won't write much on that stuff. I'll answer questions of course! I want to have this as a place to document future modifications.

I'll leave this first post for a list of modifications and pictures. (To be added later)

I bought my Jeep about 8 years ago for $6,000. Probably more than it was worth, although I live in the Northern US, and it was in really great shape with no rust, and it was well maintained. (So I thought.) At this point, the list of parts I have had to replace or fix is three times longer than my list of mods, and because of that, my mods have been pretty limited. Thankfully the WJ is pretty capable without much modification.

I specifically looked for a Jeep WJ for a few reasons:
1. I wanted a jeep with the 4.0l Inline six engine. I had always heard about how great they were. (More on that in the future.)
2. Solid axel. When I bought this vehicle, I didn't know much about Overlanding. I live right next to an off-road park and had ambitions to take it through some of the more challenging trails there.
3. Even though I didn't know much about overlanding, I have always been a camper and wanted an SUV that I could easily sleep in the back of.

List of Current Modifications:
K&N Cold Air Intake
Iron Rock Offroad 4" lift kit with Rock Link long arms
Tom Woods Double Cardan Driveshaft
Moog Steering stabilizer.
33" Pro Comp A/T Sport TIres
Lots of Trimming for the stock bumpers and some on the body
Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler
Projector headlights
Replaced all the interior lights with LEDs
Replaced the dash lights with LEDs
Quick-release rear seats

This was when it was mostly stock.
Stock 1.jpg Stock 2.jpg

How it looks currently:
Now1.jpgNow2.jpg
Now3.jpgNow4.jpg

Last edited:

DBAR

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lebanon, PA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Dunbar
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Last weekend I added quick-release rear seats. This was an easy mod, but it allows me to quickly remove the rear seats, which gives me another 7-8 inches of room in the back. I eventually want to create a sleeping platform, but I am going to make it sectional so that I can continue using the rear seats for the tiny humans lol.

I drilled out the old pins that held the rear seats in place and added locking pins. Pretty nifty, if I do say so myself.

hinge 2.jpg hinge.jpg pins.jpg drill.jpg
hole.jpg fin.jpg

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I've been wanting to make a build thread for a while. Unfortunately, I have already done some work on my Jeep, so I won't write much on that stuff. I'll answer questions of course! I want to have this as a place to document future modifications.

I'll leave this first post for a list of modifications and pictures. (To be added later)

I bought my Jeep about 8 years ago for $6,000. Probably more than it was worth, although I live in the Northern US, and it was in really great shape with no rust, and it was well maintained. (So I thought.) At this point, the list of parts I have had to replace or fix is three times longer than my list of mods, and because of that, my mods have been pretty limited. Thankfully the WJ is pretty capable without much modification.

I specifically looked for a Jeep WJ for a few reasons:
1. I wanted a jeep with the 4.0l Inline six engine. I had always heard about how great they were. (More on that in the future.)
2. Solid axel. When I bought this vehicle, I didn't know much about Overlanding. I live right next to an off-road park and had ambitions to take it through some of the more challenging trails there.
3. Even though I didn't know much about overlanding, I have always been a camper and wanted an SUV that I could easily sleep in the back of.

List of Current Modifications:
K&N Cold Air Intake
Iron Rock Offroad 4" lift kit with Rock Link long arms
Tom Woods Double Cardan Driveshaft
Moog Steering stabilizer.
33" Pro Comp A/T Sport TIres
Lots of Trimming for the stock bumpers and some on the body
Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler
Projector headlights
Replaced all the interior lights with LEDs
Replaced the dash lights with LEDs
Quick-release rear seats

This was when it was mostly stock.
View attachment 260071 View attachment 260072
The Iron Rock 4" Long arm was the best thing we did to our WJ.

Reactions: DBAR

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Always love seeing another WJ build! Any pics of it with the 4" and 33"s and the trimming? I ran an IRO 4" and ~32"s (metric 31.6" equivalent IIRC) and had to do pretty major front bumper and inner wheel well trimming, along with the ZJ washer-bottle and fog-light deletes up front. The fronts would touch the rear of the opening occasionally too so I probably should have moved the axle ~0.5" forward and trimmed even more. The rears I didn't have to touch with those tires though. I now have pretty significant fender work to clear ~35"s at something like 6-7" of lift but a TON of articulation.

-TJ

DBAR

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lebanon, PA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Dunbar
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Always love seeing another WJ build! Any pics of it with the 4" and 33"s and the trimming? I ran an IRO 4" and ~32"s (metric 31.6" equivalent IIRC) and had to do pretty major front bumper and inner wheel well trimming, along with the ZJ washer-bottle and fog-light deletes up front. The fronts would touch the rear of the opening occasionally too so I probably should have moved the axle ~0.5" forward and trimmed even more. The rears I didn't have to touch with those tires though. I now have pretty significant fender work to clear ~35"s at something like 6-7" of lift but a TON of articulation.

-TJ
Yes, I'll post some later this week hopefully. The worst part is the stock bumpers. I probably trimmed an inch or so of the body. the wiper reservoir will need to be moved at some point too. As for the rear, I haven't touched it yet, but it is right on the edge. The only saving grace is that when it articulates the tires move back towards the bumper. I don't have adjustable control arms in the rear yet but it is the plan.

Reactions: tjZ06

DBAR

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lebanon, PA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Dunbar
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Updated my first post with current pictures.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

The size of the wheel well opening on the WJ is a big downfall when trying to run bigger tires. Currently I have 4.5" springs on short arms with 33's, both axles are pushed out about 1/2" and with a lot of trimming I still rub at full lock when flexed. If you think a fender trim is in your future check out my build thread, I did a write up when I tackled mine with lots of pictures of what you'll run into. It might give you some ideas of how you want to go about it. Good looking WJ

DBAR

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lebanon, PA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Dunbar
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
The size of the wheel well opening on the WJ is a big downfall when trying to run bigger tires. Currently I have 4.5" springs on short arms with 33's, both axles are pushed out about 1/2" and with a lot of trimming I still rub at full lock when flexed. If you think a fender trim is in your future check out my build thread, I did a write up when I tackled mine with lots of pictures of what you'll run into. It might give you some ideas of how you want to go about it. Good looking WJ
Thanks! I am debating whether I want to trim the fenders or add flares. I live in PA, and technically, I do not comply with the law because they are strict on tires and fender flares. I have to put stock tires on to get it inspected every year. In theory if I add flares like the Bushwacker ones that are pretty popular then I wouldn't have to change my tires out.

Plus I am planning to completely remove the front and rear bumper ASAP because that will give a lot more clearance.

Reactions: MrWilsonWJ

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

100%

It's hard to say exactly what my lift is, since it's very custom. But doing some basic measuring vs. other WJs I'd call it a 6-7" lift. I run 35"s with some significant fender work (done right) and still get a tiny amount of rub in the rear at the front of the openings (I need to shift my rear axle back maybe 0.25").

messages_0 - 2023-03-29T155127.695.jpeg

Y4ymYZ1.jpg

nW3Xp2x.jpg

messages_0 - 2023-03-23T163416.528.jpeg

messages_0 - 2023-03-23T163406.711.jpeg

DBAR

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lebanon, PA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Dunbar
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
100%

It's hard to say exactly what my lift is, since it's very custom. But doing some basic measuring vs. other WJs I'd call it a 6-7" lift. I run 35"s with some significant fender work (done right) and still get a tiny amount of rub in the rear at the front of the openings (I need to shift my rear axle back maybe 0.25").

View attachment 260622

View attachment 260623

View attachment 260624

View attachment 260630

View attachment 260631
Looks Great! What is the rear bumper you have?

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Looks Great! What is the rear bumper you have?
It is a semi-custom by Xero Fab Works. He used to sell his bumpers to Trail Forged so you could get them there, but he's stopped producing parts (he's in Shaver Lake, he lost his home in the fires and pivoted to re-building his home and starting a business clearing the mess left behind). Mine is also highly customized (by him).

broverland.jpg

-TJ

DBAR

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lebanon, PA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Dunbar
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
The rear bumper is important to me because I want better clearance, a hitch, and a tire carrier. I have looked at trailforged but a lot of their stuff is DIY, and I don't weld. So I'd have to get someone to do that for me. I am also looking for someone local to do some type of custom fab work.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

If you are on a budget, buying a DIY kit and taking it to someone to weld up might your best option unless you have a friend that can do the custom fab work at a fair price. Not that fab shops aren't capable of building badass custom bumpers but at an hourly rate you will be paying more for design, mock up, 1 off pieces and then the welding. With a DIY kit that is already done and in the price of the kit, you would then only be paying for the fitting and welding at a shop. The center section of my front bumper is Trail Forged and it went together pretty easy and fast aside from all the sheet metal I had to cut out. Also welding isn't all that hard you could pick up a harbor freight welder for cheap and learn from you tube then after some practice buy a DIY kit to assemble yourself. You'd then have a new skill and ability to build all sorts of other things to go on your rig.

Worms04WJ

Rank I

Contributor III

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Gibb
Very Nice build. I have an 04 WJ also. tossing around of building a light weight trailer for sleeping or building it all inside my WJ. Do not want a Roof Top tent. I can just see my self falling out of that thing LOL.