Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey, USA
First Name
Squirrel
Last Name
Venturing
Member #

For having a 5" lift everything looks really flat to me. If you look at the picture if the skid plate above you can almost see that all my CV angles are either totally flat or pointing slightly up (kinda backwards from what I feel it should be).

I'm also getting a lot of binding in my steering and knocking when I turn either direction now so it looks like a new steering rack and CV's for both sides are in my near future. Hopefully I can wait to get all that done until the new coilovers get here but we'll see.

OB Member #5037

Last edited:

Squirrel

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey, USA
First Name
Squirrel
Last Name
Venturing
Member #

Since I posted the picture of the new front skid plate something about it has been bothering me but I couldn't put my finger on what it was. I went out to install the oil pan skid plate tonight and come to find it won't fit or line up with any of the mounting holes. This is when something clicks and I realize that the drop bracket has struck again! The Skid plates were designed around the stock cross members (go figure) so nothing fits or lines up right <facepalm>. The thing that never felt right is that the front skid plate doesn't attach to the drop bracket so it is left totally exposed (picture below).

The first 2 skid plates I know won't work now so hopefully I can get someone to buy them to recoup some of my money. Time to start working on a custom front plate I suppose. The transmission and transfer case skids will probably work with minimal modifications, I hope. Due to this epiphany my install time tonight turned into a measurement taking session instead. On the bright side it's progress in some sort of capacity at least!

[Image removed because Photobucket sucks]

OB Member #5037

Last edited:

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

For having a 5" lift everything looks really flat to me. If you look at the picture if the skid plate above you can almost see that all my CV angles are either totally flat or pointing slightly up (kinda backwards from what I feel it should be).

I'm also getting a lot of binding in my steering and knocking when I turn either direction now so it looks like a new steering rack and CV's for both sides are in my near future. Hopefully I can wait to get all that done until the new coilovers get here but we'll see.

OB Member #5037
Much like drive shaft ujoints, cv joints don't like to work at 0 degrees. Sucks about the skids.

Squirrel

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey, USA
First Name
Squirrel
Last Name
Venturing
Member #

Much like drive shaft ujoints, cv joints don't like to work at 0 degrees. Sucks about the skids.
It does suck, but at least I can get something to my specs which is good.

I'm knowledgeable enough about the suspension components to be dangerous and break thing but not much more past that. Would you mind explaining why the CV joints don't work well at 0 degrees?

OB Member #5037

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

It does suck, but at least I can get something to my specs which is good.

I'm knowledgeable enough about the suspension components to be dangerous and break thing but not much more past that. Would you mind explaining why the CV joints don't work well at 0 degrees?

OB Member #5037
When the suspension travels it travels in a slight arc. Most cv axles never make it to that zero degree point even when fully stuffed. It tends to put pressure at points that aren't supposed to get the pressure hence things binding and popping. It will do similar things when you reach the high end of the working angle range as well.
With that being said it could be the rack.

Last edited:

Squirrel

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey, USA
First Name
Squirrel
Last Name
Venturing
Member #

When the suspension travels it travels in a slight arc. Most cv axles never make it to that zero degree point even when fully stuffed. It tends to put pressure at points that aren't supposed to get the pressure hence things binding and popping. It will do similar things when you reach the high end of the working angle range as well.
With that being said it could be the rack.
That makes sense, I have never taken the slight arc of the travel into account. I know my rack is a mess. You can hear and feel the grinding and popping, as well as see it leak pretty good too.

OB Member #5037

Last edited:

Squirrel

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey, USA
First Name
Squirrel
Last Name
Venturing
Member #

I was able to get all the measurements done and marked out on steel for the new skid plate. Since I don't have the necessary equipment to cut and bend 1/4" steel plate I had to send it to a local shop but I'll get it back on Tuesday and should have something ready for install by the end of the week. I should also have enough scrap left over for an oil pan skid as well.

As a side note if anyone is interested in a brand new front and oil pan skid plate from skid row I'm putting mine up for sale.

OB Member #5037

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

That makes sense, I have never taken the slight arc of the travel into account. I know my rack is a mess. You can hear and feel the grinding and popping, as well as see it leak pretty good too.

OB Member #5037
Well I feel it's in that bad of shape maybe it's the culprit.

Squirrel

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey, USA
First Name
Squirrel
Last Name
Venturing
Member #

Something awesome (at least I think so) is in the works :) If all goes well tomorrow I will hopefully have some finished pictures. This is going to officially be my favorite part of the truck!

OB Member #5037

Last edited:

Squirrel

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey, USA
First Name
Squirrel
Last Name
Venturing
Member #

My skid plate issue is now fixed! Gotta drill a couple holes and then it'll be all set for mounting.

OB Member #5037

Squirrel

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey, USA
First Name
Squirrel
Last Name
Venturing
Member #

Rear bumper should hopefully be ready by this weekend. It's starting to look pretty!

I want to do a dual swing out setup but this is completely uncharted territory for me. Any ideas or suggestions on how to do this would be greatly appreciated!

OB Member #5037

Reactions: jscusmcvet

N8CRWLR

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Livermore, CA
Member #

I want to do a dual swing out setup but this is completely uncharted territory for me. Any ideas or suggestions on how to do this would be greatly appreciated!

OB Member #5037
Call Scotty at Addicted Offroad and he will help you with all the questions that you need to know.

You will need these three items to start with your dual swing-out set up:

Tire Carrier Latch - Large
https://www.tmrcustoms.com/roll-cage-chassis/bumper-builder-parts/tire-carrier-latch-large

Tire Carrier Hinge/Pivot
https://www.tmrcustoms.com/roll-cage-chassis/bumper-builder-parts/tire-carrier-hinge-pivot

Spring Loaded Pull Pin
https://www.tmrcustoms.com/roll-cage-chassis/bumper-builder-parts/spring-loaded-pull-pin

Hope it helps.....

Reactions: toyota_syndicate

Squirrel

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey, USA
First Name
Squirrel
Last Name
Venturing
Member #

Call Scotty at Addicted Offroad and he will help you with all the questions that you need to know.

You will need these three items to start with your dual swing-out set up:

Tire Carrier Latch - Large
https://www.tmrcustoms.com/roll-cage-chassis/bumper-builder-parts/tire-carrier-latch-large

Tire Carrier Hinge/Pivot
https://www.tmrcustoms.com/roll-cage-chassis/bumper-builder-parts/tire-carrier-hinge-pivot

Spring Loaded Pull Pin
https://www.tmrcustoms.com/roll-cage-chassis/bumper-builder-parts/spring-loaded-pull-pin

Hope it helps.....
Haha great recommendation! Scotty is actually the one who built these bumpers :)

Thanks for the links! I appreciate it!

OB Member #5037

Reactions: N8CRWLR

Squirrel

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey, USA
First Name
Squirrel
Last Name
Venturing
Member #

Got my front skid plate installed.
Now I just have to get the rest of them designed and cut. Hopefully that won't be to hard since there won't be to many angles to deal with.

OB Member #5037

Squirrel

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey, USA
First Name
Squirrel
Last Name
Venturing
Member #

I need some input and opinions on my dual battery setup.

I was able to fit the secondary battery and tray in the engine compartment but it's a TIGHT fit. I already have to relocate my power steering reservoir to make it fit but I can free up some space if I move my ABS module (which I really don't want to mess with, hardlines are not as forgiving as a hose).

I'm wondering if a small battery box located in the bed might be an easier/better option. Some things I also want to consider before I decide:

- I have a 4x4 sPod that I need to install with this setup.
- I would really like to get a solar setup connected to the aux battery in the future.
- We're using the truck bed to sleep in (2 adults and a child) so space is at a premium. Although having a box with plugs built right in could be very handy.

Thoughts and opinions?

OB Member #5037

Last edited:

Squirrel

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey, USA
First Name
Squirrel
Last Name
Venturing
Member #

So this happened today :) pretty much like Christmas!!

They turned out a little different than I was expecting but I'm perfectly fine with them!

OB Member #5037

Reactions: JCWages and Jimmy P

Squirrel

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey, USA
First Name
Squirrel
Last Name
Venturing
Member #

Yesterday the truck went in to Toyota for some recall work, one of which were getting the lower ball joints replaced. Today I got the additional leafs from Deaver put into the packs, installed the shackle flips, removed the 1" blocks, and put the U-bolt flip kit on. Just have to install the Timbrens now.

After all was said and done I gained 2.5" of lift in the back. Now I have some pretty noticeable rake but the King's will be going in soon and should level everything out. I'm looking forward to being level again and also getting an alignment.

Sent from my SM-N950U using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Jimmy P

Squirrel

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey, USA
First Name
Squirrel
Last Name
Venturing
Member #

Been a little while since I've updated. Since my last post I've gotten a fair amount done. The Kings have been installed in the front, new steering rack, finally remembered to install my Timbrens, installed the CB, and just today I installed my secondary battery (still need to do all the wiring). Picture time.

Sent from my SM-N950U using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Jimmy P