Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey, USA
First Name
Squirrel
Last Name
Venturing
Member #

Hey everyone! I wanted to put together a build thread to track the build that has already been done and what I will be doing in the near(ish) future. I'll keep the list of mods updated in this post for easy reference.

Current Specs:
(updated 10/04/17)
- 2003 Tundra SR5
- Pro Comp wheels with 285/75R17 BFG KO2
- ARE CX cap
- Topper EZ Lift w/ Weekender package
- All-Pro Offroad Rock Sliders
- Addicted Offroad front plate bumper
- Smittybuilt X20 winch w/ synthetic line
- Addicted Offroad rear bumper
- Custom Front Skid Plate (the rest are still to come)
- 5" Tuff Country DB lift
- Camburg uniball UCAs
- King Shocks (front, 6" lift, 700 lb springs)
- Deaver leaf packs (4" lift)
- All-Pro Offroad U-bolt flip w/ Timbren bumpstops
- Archive Garage shackle flip w/ 6" shackles
- National Luna dual battery system
- Odyssey 34R-PC1500 battery
- sPOD
- Cobra 75 wxst CB Radio
- 4' Firestik

Still need this stuff:
- King shocks w/ adjustable remote resi (Rear)
- Shock hoops for rear

Here is my rig as she sits right now.

OB Member #5037

Last edited:

Squirrel

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey, USA
First Name
Squirrel
Last Name
Venturing
Member #

My truck has gone through 2, soon to be 3, suspension phases. So for my own sake, and general explanation, I figured I'd write out why.

The first phase were the adjustable Bilsteins at top notch so I could level the truck and stuff 285s under her. After running those for a while I wanted to go a little taller so I was talked into getting my lift kit.

The Tuff Country kit (TC55905K/N) is your basic drop bracket kit with a 5" strut spacers for the front and 3" blocks for the rear. I decided to get my set of Deavers at this point since I didn't want to run 3" blocks (I had no knowledge to back up why but blocks just always felt like a bad idea to me. I always pictured them falling off while I drove down the road and nothing good happening at that point). I kept my Bilsteins in the front but they were put back to the bottom notch, the rears had to be switched to the Tuff Country shocks for the added length. After driving around for a couple of weeks with the new kit I noticed that it felt like I was actually sitting lower than when I was just running the Bilsteins. Out comes the measuring tape and sure enough I'm .5" lower than before. Needless to say that netting 3" off of a 5" kit didn't make me very happy. This is the point where I decided to start dissecting my setup and start learning about the various suspension systems and configurations.

So all of this has led me to where I am now. For the front I've realized that I need to replace the super fatigued 14 year old stock coils that I'm running. I also want to get rid of the 5" spacer since to me it's just another potential failure point. Enter the soon to be new coilovers.

For the rear I want to do the shackle flip to increase droop while also getting the 1-1.5" lift so that I can eliminate the 1" block I'm running right now. I've talked to Deaver about the custom pack they made and they said it should be fine but to watch for some potential negative arch near the shackles since the top 3-5 leaves (leafs, leaves? Not sure what the right plural is here) are only .262" each. Worst case Deaver said they would send some thicker springs. The shock hoops will be so that I can upgrade to either 12 or 14" stroke shocks.

That should about note everything up to now, I hope. Sorry for such a long post!

Sent from a phone using an app

Last edited:
Reactions: JCWages

Squirrel

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey, USA
First Name
Squirrel
Last Name
Venturing
Member #

Anyone have experience moving the fuse box right next to the battery in these trucks before? I just want to move it back about 3" so that I will be able to fit both of my batteries side by side in the stock location.

OB Member #5037

Squirrel

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey, USA
First Name
Squirrel
Last Name
Venturing
Member #

Add to my list a new rear bumper from Addicted Offroad and a Topper EZ Lift system with the weekender package :)

OB Member #5037

dshirt

Rank 0

Traveler I

Houston, TX
Member #

I am trying to acquire a 1st gen tundra and want same type of build. Any thought on upgrade front bumper? Only thing I see out their is ARB safari but dont really like that look.

Squirrel

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey, USA
First Name
Squirrel
Last Name
Venturing
Member #

I am trying to acquire a 1st gen tundra and want same type of build. Any thought on upgrade front bumper? Only thing I see out their is ARB safari but dont really like that look.
Check out Addicted Off-road. I really like their designs, much less bulky than ARB imo.

OB Member #5037

dshirt

Rank 0

Traveler I

Houston, TX
Member #

OK just bought 2001 tundra access cab with 135K miles. Think I found Glasstite cap for it. Now the build begins.

Squirrel

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey, USA
First Name
Squirrel
Last Name
Venturing
Member #

OK just bought 2001 tundra access cab with 135K miles. Think I found Glasstite cap for it. Now the build begins.
Nice! Looking forward to it! Start a build thread so we can all watch your progress :)

OB Member #5037

dshirt

Rank 0

Traveler I

Houston, TX
Member #

Well the dealership sold the Tundra out from under me to someone else. Claimed someone had put deposit down before I put mine so lost it.
Went the other way now and just purchased 2006 Ram 2500 diesel so now the research begins on that.

Squirrel

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey, USA
First Name
Squirrel
Last Name
Venturing
Member #

Well the dealership sold the Tundra out from under me to someone else. Claimed someone had put deposit down before I put mine so lost it.
Went the other way now and just purchased 2006 Ram 2500 diesel so now the research begins on that.
Totally crappy! Sorry to hear it!

OB Member #5037

Squirrel

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey, USA
First Name
Squirrel
Last Name
Venturing
Member #

Got everything I need (minus battery tray) for the dual battery setup. Time to work on getting everything setup and ready to go.

OB Member #5037

Last edited:

Contributor I

Got everything I need (minus battery tray) for the dual battery setup. Time to work on getting everything setup and ready to go.

OB Member #5037
Thats awsome! Clean truck man! Im going for the same set up, currently fighting the infamous 1st Gen Tundra passenger water leak from the fresh air intake. Hope to see more of your truck.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Squirrel

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey, USA
First Name
Squirrel
Last Name
Venturing
Member #

Thanks guys! I'm pretty stoked to start getting some of these things installed!

I also have a sPOD coming to help make all of my peripherals nice and clean as well as a Snomaster console fridge (hopefully, still not certain on the fridge yet though).

OB Member #5037

Squirrel

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey, USA
First Name
Squirrel
Last Name
Venturing
Member #

So my shackle flip, U-bolt flip and Timbrens, sPOD, front bumper, Topper EZ Lift, and battery mount for the secondary battery are all here now. Now my issue is just finding the time to get all this fun stuff installed. There are so many little things to do as well, track down this squeak over here and that knock back over there. But alas, I guess if everything were simple and super easy that would take a lot of the fun out of it.

At least I've been able to get the bumper rattle canned and ready for install. Just gotta wait for my security bolts to get here now and I can get this beast on the truck and out of my garage.

OB Member #5037

Last edited:

Squirrel

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey, USA
First Name
Squirrel
Last Name
Venturing
Member #

One skid plate on, three more to go!

[Images removed cause Photobucket sucks]

I also have a pair of front coilovers coming from king. They should be here mid August if not sooner (hopefully!)

OB Member #5037

Last edited:
Reactions: Justin Forrest