2003 Grand Cherokee

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

JimBill

Rank IV

Advocate III

Tres Pinos, CA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

I've had this WJ for about 10 months. Ill post up when I run across anything interesting or do anything unique. Today I'm chasing a sudden axle bearing noise on the right axle. The retainer plate had a wrong nut and it took a bit since the stud was turning when the nut seized. I found the bearing retainer had slid, and was allowing about 3/8 inch play. So I was just about to loose an axle. Anyhow, after carefully cutting and splitting the retainer and bearing race, I found this beauty of a past job. There is serious grinds on the axle. See picture. So I ask, it this road safe for the time being? I have a junkyard differential waiting rebuild and truss work, but that is many months off. 108534108535

Last edited:
Reactions: JCWages

JimBill

Rank IV

Advocate III

Tres Pinos, CA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

The Clayton axle truss and Mountain Vista Fabrication skid plate are being fitted to the donor junkyard rear end. The Dana 44 HD aluminum housing shall not be an issue once this is all welded up.

truss fitment.jpg Skid fitment.jpg

Reactions: JCWages

JimBill

Rank IV

Advocate III

Tres Pinos, CA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Well now, maybe I am late to the party but I just discovered PanaVice dash mounts. No mods, bolts right under the radio. Drivers side holds my Baofeng or Midland Radios, left side the GPS or phone. No more consul clutter. Next on list are mounts for my Tahoe and lady's Trailblazer.

Panavice.jpg Panavice Loaded.jpg

Reactions: JCWages and TJDon

TJDon

Rank IV

Advocate III

Galt CA
First Name
Don
Last Name
A
Member #

Ham Callsign
KI6TUI
I put a panavice in my‘99 WJ a couple weeks back. I wish I had installed one along time ago! I’ll be getting a 2nd one as well

Reactions: JimBill

JimBill

Rank IV

Advocate III

Tres Pinos, CA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

So the truss and skid plate are all welded in. But now I am at a crossroads. Originally I planned for an Aussie locker, but now I see ARB has an air locker available. Since 99% of the time a locker is not needed, and I do see snow and ice once in a while, the ARB is looking like the better setup to keep all wheel drive performance and driveability on the road and trail, and for the rare occasion I need to lock up, there it is. But the downside is the cost, it will take another 6 months to absorb an ARB install with full new bearings and setup, and air system. Or just slap the Aussie and be done with it. Decisions... It's only time and money right??

P_20190908_182531.jpeg

Last edited:

JimBill

Rank IV

Advocate III

Tres Pinos, CA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Tereflex front quick disconnects installed today. Bought them for a trip to Death Valley last spring, but out of the box quality had me request to return them. Well no response from the vendor so they sat int he garage for the summer. The issue is it is like the bushings just shrank. The bushings are very loose in the housings, and none of the pins fit the bushing holes. I turned each pin for a custom fit to each bushing and installed them today. Added paint so I can keep track of installing in the correct orientation to the custom pins. On road the lose bushings thump away, I can feel and hear the play. Likely they will self destruct in short order. I will try them out at Sierra 2019 event then likely take them out. Pure Crap. So can I run the trails with just one disconnected? Would save time to not have to figure out how to hold the bar up.

EDIT: After a drive last evening and to work this morning, ordered the Rough country discos to replace these. 100% unacceptable for street use, the slop in the bushings to the housings results in constant knocking from both sides.

P_20190908_160610.jpeg

Last edited: