2003 Ford Expedition Full Size Overland Build

• HTML tutorial

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

I have yet to scrape my running boards since adding the Truxxx lift/leveling kit... I wouldn't remove them again after trying that once. It makes it quite difficult for my wife and youngest child to get in. The running boards have actually become an integral part of the truck, helping us access the roof rack, etc... Also great for short ride-a-longs off road (little birding)...

I think it may have a couple more inches of clearance with them off, but the trade off is not worth it in my opinion, plus there are a lot of other things under there that will touch down before the running boards...

I wanted to purchase an aftermarket set, but all the ones I have found have a cheesy pinch welt mount, whereas the OEM Ford running boards have a 6 point mounting system, 3 points to the frame, and 3 points on the pinch welts. I've had two full size adults stand on the OEM Ford running boards with no problem... I put half my weight on a set of N-Fabs on a Dodge Ram and the whole thing tweaked and deflected... dumb... and I only weight 140lbs...

James

Reactions: Bouncer

RAWags

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Ripon, CA
First Name
Robbie
Last Name
Wagner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSK
Just read through this build for the first time. I'm impressed with how much you get out and use your truck. I have three kids too and the schedule has so many roadblocks to getting offroad. Also, love the way you just went out in the stock rig and then made the modifications you needed. I have a new to me, 2003 Montero that I'm starting to build up with that same philosophy. Thanks for the write-up!

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

You’re welcome! I knew we needed some basic recovery gear before we started, so I did get that, but I think the key to our fun so far is:

1) No jeep trails with big rocks. We try and stick with forest service roads, but we do enjoy a good water crossing.

2) Recovery gear

3) A second vehicle

4) Geocaching to break the trip up a bit

James

Reactions: Road and RAWags

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
Great build! You had posted the link on my thread asking about a vehicle.

I hadn't ever really thought of one of these before, I thought they would be limited by the all independent suspension. I had no idea there were lifts for them! It looks so much better lifted!

I drove one of these once, it was friends rental and I ended up as DD. I actually really liked it, it was comfy and drove very nice.

Is this the 5.4L? Stupid question, but what kind of mileage do you get with it?

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Yes, 5.4L Triton in it. I’ve never checked the mileage on this one but my 2006 F150 has the same engine and gets a solid 15mpg.

The lift kits for these are coil spring spacers, and only cost about $175ish from Truxxx.

James

Reactions: StuntmanMike

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
Yes, 5.4L Triton in it. I’ve never checked the mileage on this one but my 2006 F150 has the same engine and gets a solid 15mpg.

The lift kits for these are coil spring spacers, and only cost about $175ish from Truxxx.

James
Nice! I like spacer lifts, cheap and easy.

I'm looking around at these on CL now, seems like they can be had for relatively cheap. Hmmmm.....

I'm also looking around to see if they were available with limited slip differential... does yours have that? (or some sort of traction control?)

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

I love what you have done with the expedition.... my wife had a 2003 expedition (2wd) that we got rid of because she wanted a mini van. but... I really enjoyed driving it. I would trade my rig for a expedition any day if I found one I liked.....

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Yes to limited slip. Ours has a 3:73 rear end with limited slip... plus ours has an awd mode with clutch discs in the transfer case... the awd works awesome on snowy trails.

I would avoid the early years... some of those 5.4L engines didn’t have enough threads in the spark plug holes in the head and they blew spark plugs out... those early years are more truck like though (in regards to the chassis).

James

Reactions: StuntmanMike

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
Yes to limited slip. Ours has a 3:73 rear end with limited slip... plus ours has an awd mode with clutch discs in the transfer case... the awd works awesome on snowy trails.

I would avoid the early years... some of those 5.4L engines didn’t have enough threads in the spark plug holes in the head and they blew spark plugs out... those early years are more truck like though (in regards to the chassis).

James
Oh that's good to know. I'm sure the LTD Slip and the gearing help out on the trails.

I had heard about the early 5.4's, that's kind of what turned me off of all of the Fords with that engine. I didn't realize it was just the earlier ones, I thought it was ALL years of 5.4. The same year GM's have the 5.3L with is a terrific engine, so when I think fullsizes of that era I immediately think "Tahoe/Yukon". I don't see too many of the big Fords around. (I'm pretty sure the Ford prob has a nicer interior and the edge on interior space.)

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

The Expedition interior is super nice... tons of room.

So... UPGRADES! I was tired of using my motorcycle straps, as good as they are, they are a pain to get on and off... wrong fit for the application.

Anyway, I started thinking about the whitewater rafting world, which we are also involved in, and found what I was looking for.

Loop straps. I bought the 15’ models so I could get them in black (rafting straps are color coded so you can easily tell a 6’ strap from a 12’ strap), then I cut them down to size.

The loop on each end allows them to remain captive, attached to the rack, even after I pull the cases off.

They were about $6 each at my local rafting shop.

James

08ABD0E9-DBC2-419B-B084-764B1DA6154B.jpeg
DB893571-0128-4A67-90A0-1C24E5328815.jpeg
520E1486-1756-4735-8BAB-5090281AF31A.jpeg
60ADC422-987C-448D-AA59-A8B225ECB823.jpeg

Reactions: RAWags

goonerfan13

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Fort Wayne Indiana
Member #

I love this build. I have a 2010 Expedition EL that I'm building up little by little as well. I also have AT tires and a spacer lift. Love it so far

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

I’ve learned a lot over the past few months...

I’ve learned:
-This full size rig is awesome for great, light-medium off roading with the family.
-It is heavy, making muddy situations problematic.
-Despite the 3” lift and just under 31” tires, rocks in creeks still wreak havoc on the underside.
- There is no replacement for new friends with winches.

Since the last time, I’ve had the rack powdercoated, went on a crazy offroading trip with a good friend to Tiddie Springs, near Silver City, Idaho (where two old dirtbikers basically told me an Expedition had no business being there, to which I showed my taillights to crawling back out), then today got bogged down in a creek crossing with my family for six hours until a friendly Wrangler and F150 showed up with not one winch, but two winches to pull us out... we were so stuck that the first winch didn’t budge us...

Anyway... I’ve learned a few more things...
-To take a group vote before diving head first into things (namely mud pits and creeks).
-To pretend I’m a Subaru and stick to dirt roads, where we are safe.
-To walk (spot) any creek crossings or mud before sticking my heavy Expedition in them.

James

23496A01-F493-41E0-85A1-11BF4AB5803F.jpeg
214F805D-D151-4D4D-A2AA-49568E693004.jpeg
397F572C-B72B-4CA7-826E-37AF4FC32EB4.jpeg
CFC6CEDC-F919-4A69-907D-CBE65B6B8E6A.jpeg
5CC9F17F-BDA6-428D-95B9-1D9AAC2CEB92.jpeg