2003 Ford Expedition Full Size Overland Build

• HTML tutorial

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

*Some of this info is copied from my "new members start here" post...

Just purchased a 2003 Ford Expedition with 137k miles on it from the original owner. New brakes, tires (Goodyear DuraTracs 265/17), ball joints, spark plugs, battery, etc... He really took care of it...

We bought this to have as a more capable family vehicle for Idaho winters (mild snowy conditions), as opposed to our last two minivans (Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna). My wife commutes a lot each day, and there were a couple times last year when her commuter car (Mitsu sedan) got a bit stuck.... so.... NO MORE OF THAT!

The first weekend we had it we decided to do some campsite exploration, research for next year... So we drove to Garden Valley/Crouch area to explore around there and eat lunch at Two Rivers Restaurant. It did really well.

The second weekend we took it to Idaho City for campsite exploration and to eat at Trudy's. On the way down we went down Robie Creek Rd, and found people four wheeling across the river by the boat ramps... So, we engaged 4wd, took off down that road into some thick mud, then did a fabulous creek crossing... Everyone was excited... even the dog.... The hook had been set....

The third weekend we went to Succor Creek campsite to look for Thundereggs but came up empty... So we checked out some of the jeep trails and found that our running boards didn't have the clearance we expected, but the Expedition itself was very capable. We decided to continue on to Leslie Gulch, then to Owyhee Reservoir. It was at that dead end that I decided we needed some GPS help (I thought the dirt road leading to Owyhee Reservoir went to the boat ramp, which connected to the paved road, but it actually went to a secondary boat ramp on the other side of the lake). It was at this point I realized we need some recovery options in case we get stuck... So I picked up a small shovel at D&B for $10, and a 20' x 2" Smittybilt recovery strap at 4WheelParts for $17

Last weekend (fourth weekend) we took off on a much bigger adventure to Featherville/Pine area. I had just downloaded the Gaia app on the iPad, and had the iPad mounted to the dash, confident I could hotspot to my iPhone and piggyback on its internal GPS chip (an assisted GPS I know, but better than nothing)... I probably should have tried this in the garage before leaving, because it didn't work. So, we had to use the Gaia app on my iPhone during the trip. This was better than nothing, and worked ok most of the time until we got way back in the middle of nowhere. I didn't really Google Map the trip at all, instead relying on the mapping from the Gaia app and road signs, which was a mistake (I obviously need to learn the software a bit better). This mistake ended up taking us down a washboard dirt road for about 30 miles until we reach Pine, and met up with the paved road I thought we would be on (we took that road home later). The mistake was ok though because of the amazing scenery on the west side of Anderson Ranch Reservoir, and all the backwoods driving... It actually made me realize a couple more things: Really need a GPS receiver, need to have a way to air the tires down for dirt roads, then back up for the drive home...

So this week I ordered a few things: Bad Elf GPS Pro+ receiver ($214), Traction Boards (X-Bull on Amazon for $89), Smittybilt air compressor (SB2780 $67), Trailhead Deflators set for 22lbs ($56), and a 2" coilover shock lift courtesy of a half off sale at Truxxx ($147), a Smittybilt Inclinometer app (for fun, 99 cents) and a Gaia premium membership for $29.99.

Now I'm waiting on things to arrive so I can test them out before the next outing, and am forming plans to build a roof rack from scratch and use the stock Ford Expedition roof tracks...

IMG_6405.JPG

IMG_6404.JPG

Reactions: David S and Jimmy P

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

This weekend I began installing the lift kit… What a chore. I got the front shocks loose easily enough, but the lower a-arms were in the way, so I removed the nut on the upper control arm, swung it up and out of the way, then removed the sway bar mount. This allowed me to get the coilover shock out. That worked for the front right corner… The front left corner was a very different story. Couldn’t get the nut off the upper ball joint no matter what I tried (intense heat, pickle fork, pry bar, pickle fork with pry bar…) nothing worked, except my trusty air cutoff wheel.

So now I’m pretty annoyed because I have to get new upper ball joints, only to find out those are a non-serviceable item on 2003 Expeditions, so I have to buy the whole upper control arm… sigh.

My friend works at a Ford dealer, and gave me a price of about $245 per side on Ford Motorcraft upper control arms. They could get me Moog brand for $123. I called Advance Auto Parts and they had Moog for $97 per side with a lifetime warranty on the arm, ball joint, and boots. Just before I ordered I noticed there was quite a bit of wear on the inside of the front tires (which are fairly new), so I figured the camber was out. I noted there was no way to adjust the camber in stock configuration but found that Moog has a caster/camber kit with new bolts and eccentric washers ($60 at the dealer, $35 at Advance Auto Parts)… So I bought two sets of those also. Hoping to get all this installed tonight (Friday), then proceed on to the rears…

IMG_6502.jpg

anotherJeep

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Birmingham, Alabama
First Name
Cullen
Last Name
S
Member #

Wow that expedition looks really clean. Cool to see another expedition on here, I had an '07 for a while. Good luck with the lift, sounds like you need it!

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Thanks for the kind words! I was initially worried it was too big for this stuff, but with 3 kids (girls who want their own space), and a dog, it's hard to fit everyone into an XJ or 4Runner, so here we are :)

James

Traveler I

*Some of this info is copied from my "new members start here" post...

Just purchased a 2003 Ford Expedition with 137k miles on it from the original owner. New brakes, tires (Goodyear DuraTracs 265/17), ball joints, spark plugs, battery, etc... He really took care of it...

We bought this to have as a more capable family vehicle for Idaho winters (mild snowy conditions), as opposed to our last two minivans (Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna). My wife commutes a lot each day, and there were a couple times last year when her commuter car (Mitsu sedan) got a bit stuck.... so.... NO MORE OF THAT!

The first weekend we had it we decided to do some campsite exploration, research for next year... So we drove to Garden Valley/Crouch area to explore around there and eat lunch at Two Rivers Restaurant. It did really well.

The second weekend we took it to Idaho City for campsite exploration and to eat at Trudy's. On the way down we went down Robie Creek Rd, and found people four wheeling across the river by the boat ramps... So, we engaged 4wd, took off down that road into some thick mud, then did a fabulous creek crossing... Everyone was excited... even the dog.... The hook had been set....

The third weekend we went to Succor Creek campsite to look for Thundereggs but came up empty... So we checked out some of the jeep trails and found that our running boards didn't have the clearance we expected, but the Expedition itself was very capable. We decided to continue on to Leslie Gulch, then to Owyhee Reservoir. It was at that dead end that I decided we needed some GPS help (I thought the dirt road leading to Owyhee Reservoir went to the boat ramp, which connected to the paved road, but it actually went to a secondary boat ramp on the other side of the lake). It was at this point I realized we need some recovery options in case we get stuck... So I picked up a small shovel at D&B for $10, and a 20' x 2" Smittybilt recovery strap at 4WheelParts for $17

Last weekend (fourth weekend) we took off on a much bigger adventure to Featherville/Pine area. I had just downloaded the Gaia app on the iPad, and had the iPad mounted to the dash, confident I could hotspot to my iPhone and piggyback on its internal GPS chip (an assisted GPS I know, but better than nothing)... I probably should have tried this in the garage before leaving, because it didn't work. So, we had to use the Gaia app on my iPhone during the trip. This was better than nothing, and worked ok most of the time until we got way back in the middle of nowhere. I didn't really Google Map the trip at all, instead relying on the mapping from the Gaia app and road signs, which was a mistake (I obviously need to learn the software a bit better). This mistake ended up taking us down a washboard dirt road for about 30 miles until we reach Pine, and met up with the paved road I thought we would be on (we took that road home later). The mistake was ok though because of the amazing scenery on the west side of Anderson Ranch Reservoir, and all the backwoods driving... It actually made me realize a couple more things: Really need a GPS receiver, need to have a way to air the tires down for dirt roads, then back up for the drive home...

So this week I ordered a few things: Bad Elf GPS Pro+ receiver ($214), Traction Boards (X-Bull on Amazon for $89), Smittybilt air compressor (SB2780 $67), Trailhead Deflators set for 22lbs ($56), and a 2" coilover shock lift courtesy of a half off sale at Truxxx ($147), a Smittybilt Inclinometer app (for fun, 99 cents) and a Gaia premium membership for $29.99.

Now I'm waiting on things to arrive so I can test them out before the next outing, and am forming plans to build a roof rack from scratch and use the stock Ford Expedition roof tracks...

View attachment 41823

View attachment 41824
Good looking Expedition, it seems you had had a lot of fun during the first 4 weeks, thats great. Keep enjoying!!!

Sent from my SM-G610M using OB Talk mobile app

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

So I realized tonight that I made a mistake in an earlier post. The camber/caster adjustment kit is not for the upper control arm, but for the lower a-arm. So, I installed those tonight, and I’m now working on getting the coil over shocks back in place. Got a great head start on tomorrow.

Also picked up a full set of Grey Pneumatic 1/2” drive impact socket (SAE & metric), courtesy of lots of recommendations on garagejournal dot com. No more breaking sockets on this big American beast...

0E24EA37-C717-4B69-B120-E0D2740B6C02.jpeg

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Finally got the lift kit installed... I think I have 20 hours invested in it total... the camber/caster adjustment kits were the easiest things to install by far, they slipped right in...

The X is off to the alignment shop on Monday. Pics to follow.

After that I’ll be testing the Trailhead Deflators in the garage, and the Smittybilt air compressor to make sure they air down, and up, like they are supposed to.

I’ve started building the roof rack out of 1” EMT Conduit. Buying the prebent 90 elbows made one aspect easy, I don’t have to bend any tubing, but another aspect is harder, like the fact that each rlbow is a little different angle, and length... So basically I’m having to cut each side rail to a custom length to match the length of that side’s elbow... lots of measuring... I’m hoping to have the roof rack done by February (slow since I am depending on my friend to weld it up, he does a much better job than I do)...

tsingson

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

RTP, NC
Member #

Nice. I used to have a 2005 XLT. Didn't get the lift for it but I made sure I did on my 2013 EL.

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Still waiting on alignment. The shop told me all the eccentric washers were stripped out... There is a chance it was my fault, I may have used the impact on the bolt head side instead of the nut side when getting things into place... my mistake.

Good news is the auto parts shop said they would warranty them for me and new kits are on the way... huge blessing...

I also need to extend the breather tubes... also on the list...

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Got the rig back from alignment yesterday... drives great! I figured the kit would level it out a bit more, but the rear is still slightly higher. I’m totally fine with that though, as we plan to load the roof rack with 3 Plano cases and a tent...

The steering wheel is turned a bit to the right now when driving straight, so I may see if they can fix that for us this week.

Alao noticed the gear indicator is not swinging all the way to park anymore, and the fuel gauge is slow to respond after adding gas... I read these are easy fixes on the ford forums, so I will try and tackle those when I can this week also.

Just finishing plans for a very easy to make iPad mount for the dash that goes on and off easily. Will definitely post pictures when that is done.

My wife has really taken a liking to watching all the episodes of ExpeditionOverland on YouTube, which has been an awesome surprise :)

Merry Christmas

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

This evening I disconnected the brake controller and got it out if the way of my left leg. I also adjusted the gear indicator with the little black wheel up under the dash... seems fixed for now. I also disconnected the negative battery terminal, and removed all the relays and tapped on them, then reconnected the battery. Apparently that is the “fix” for the sticky fuel gauge.

I checked my vent lines on the front and rear diff, and they stop right above the tire height... couldn’t quite find where the transfer case vent stopped... it looks like as long as I don’t ford water over the tires I’ll be okay for now... will revisit that later when I have access to a lift.

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Update: fuel gauge still sema to stick a little. After reading on some Ford forums I’m gonna try some Red Line fuel system treatment to loosen the sending unit up a bit. If that doesn’t work I may have to remove the sending unit and check its operation.

The alignment shopped fixed the steering wheel now it is straight when driving straight. Alignment feels great, very happy with the job.

Started building a roof rack the other day, will show pics of that soon. It will be a mostly flat style rack instead of a basket style, because my crazy wife found a Cascadia roof top tent for sar on Craigslist and we picked it up laat week... that plus using the 3 case method is dictating a rack about 7’ long x 4’ wide. I’m using EMT conduit for the tubing (.065 wall). The end have been sanded at each weld to avoid galvanized fumes, and my friend the welder is wearing a respirator...

I also plan to weld in some angle iron under the rack to slide our 4’ plastic lifetime table into...

Can’t wait to show you all the rack, with the RTT and cases on it :)

James

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

On a little family trip this werkend to McCall, Idaho for their Winter Carnival. Mostly road miles, but we are testing out the navigational systems, Gaia GPS app on the iPad Air2, coupled with a Bad Elf Pro+ GPS. We also downloaded some Geocache tracks we hope to check out over the next couple days.

The homemade iPad holder is working perfectly, even over rough roads and fast sweepers. When we stop somewhere i just unhook it real quick amd throw the whole thing under the armrest, so it doesn’t look like we have any fancy equipment in the rig.

The iPad Air2 also has our iTunes song library on it, and about 50 movies, so we use it for entertainment also.

*Roof rack build is almost complete, I hope to have pictures up in the next week or so :)

James

755F0D2E-CEF9-4DB3-BF46-81B3B61308A9.jpeg

jordan04gx

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chittenango, NY
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2NFZ
I grew up camping/fishing on the south fork up past Pine and Featherville. One of my most favorite areas on the planet. It's a million miles away from me now, but I still think about it every day. Thanks for posting!