2003 Chevy 2500 Suburban - overland build

• HTML tutorial

thisoneguy

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hi everyone,
New guy here. This thread has been helpful giving me ideas for my 2006 Silverado 2500HD. I don't know if you guys have seen this yet, but for those looking for a 2500 coilover conversion BDS recently announced this:
http://bds-suspension.com/blog/?p=16207

Not sure I can justify the cost for a truck this old, but man it looks sweet =)

Phildirt

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Interesting. I used the Atomic Fabrication kit with QA1 shocks on my 1500 combined with Rough Country's 6" knuckle lift. If I had to do it again I probably would use McGaughey's 7.5" kit and keep it set at around 6" for flat CVs. The RC kit doesn't drop the diff nearly enough IMO. I used to think BDS was too proud of their kits but have learned that you only buy it once so might as well get one that doesn't compromise angles.

thisoneguy

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hello! You're very welcome! Good to see you post here. I'll post up some correspondence I've gotten from Atomic and I'm hoping the only issues I have is the money haha. I also hope this information will benefit others with rigs like you fellas have and give Atomic more business!

Here's the most recent emails:
I'm sorry, I think I mixed the emails up a bit but all the information from Atomic is there. As I understand so far: my lower control arms have the right mounting point, I will only need the stud adapter pictured below for the top, and I'll have to measure and have him put together the correct length coilovers! As long as I don't want the front end of my truck too much higher (I'm only leveled with the stock keys as I sit now) the UCA's should clear. Worst case scenario I would have to run Cognitos or I suppose the Zones. So my uneducated guess is as long as you are running Cognitos already, this will work! And I suppose reinforcing the LCA's would be wise but that's something I am not capable of but you probably are.
Hey Max, any updates on using the Atomic products for a 2500 coilover? Trying to find out if there is a more economical semi-DIY alternative to the new BDS offering.

thisoneguy

Rank 0

Traveler I

Interesting. I used the Atomic Fabrication kit with QA1 shocks on my 1500 combined with Rough Country's 6" knuckle lift. If I had to do it again I probably would use McGaughey's 7.5" kit and keep it set at around 6" for flat CVs. The RC kit doesn't drop the diff nearly enough IMO. I used to think BDS was too proud of their kits but have learned that you only buy it once so might as well get one that doesn't compromise angles.
Yeah the BDS kit seems to be fairly comprehensive. I'm sure there are some advantages to using pieces that have been designed to work together instead of sourcing components from multiple manufacturers.

I'm eyeing more of a 4-4.5" lift to balance off road capability with long road trips pulling a trailer. The enhanced wheel travel of the coilover is what attracts me. For awhile I was having buyer's remorse after buying my IFS Chevy. I missed out on a great deal for a '05 F250 with a full Fabtech kit because I was wary of the 6.0L diesel, but at the time didn't understand the significant differences between suspension options between IFS and solid axle.

Phildirt

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Yeah the BDS kit seems to be fairly comprehensive. I'm sure there are some advantages to using pieces that have been designed to work together instead of sourcing components from multiple manufacturers.

I'm eyeing more of a 4-4.5" lift to balance off road capability with long road trips pulling a trailer. The enhanced wheel travel of the coilover is what attracts me. For awhile I was having buyer's remorse after buying my IFS Chevy. I missed out on a great deal for a '05 F250 with a full Fabtech kit because I was wary of the 6.0L diesel, but at the time didn't understand the significant differences between suspension options between IFS and solid axle.
Regardless of coilovers or torsion bars your bump stop and droop stop are still going to be limiting factors with IFS. The only real difference I've noticed with coilovers is you can "crank" the front end up an inch or so without affecting the ride like with torsion bars. It takes quite a bit of preload on the coil spring to make it noticeably stiff.

As far as combining kits/components a diff drop is a diff drop, just depends on how much it is. So I don't think the "designed to work together" is really critical. Knuckles all do the same thing. My truck is a combo of Atomic, Superlift, Rough Country, All Star Performance, QA1, PAC, Bilstein, and it all works great together. All I would change is the amount of diff drop to get a flatter CV but they aren't binding at all. Just peace of mind.

thisoneguy

Rank 0

Traveler I

Regardless of coilovers or torsion bars your bump stop and droop stop are still going to be limiting factors with IFS. The only real difference I've noticed with coilovers is you can "crank" the front end up an inch or so without affecting the ride like with torsion bars. It takes quite a bit of preload on the coil spring to make it noticeably stiff.

As far as combining kits/components a diff drop is a diff drop, just depends on how much it is. So I don't think the "designed to work together" is really critical. Knuckles all do the same thing. My truck is a combo of Atomic, Superlift, Rough Country, All Star Performance, QA1, PAC, Bilstein, and it all works great together. All I would change is the amount of diff drop to get a flatter CV but they aren't binding at all. Just peace of mind.
Thanks for the info.

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Hi everyone,
New guy here. This thread has been helpful giving me ideas for my 2006 Silverado 2500HD. I don't know if you guys have seen this yet, but for those looking for a 2500 coilover conversion BDS recently announced this:
http://bds-suspension.com/blog/?p=16207

Not sure I can justify the cost for a truck this old, but man it looks sweet =)
Hey all been outta pocket a while BDS Coil over setup is sweet! But damn $5k is a little steep since I'd be swapping out my existing cognito kit completely. If this was available back then I would have done a coil over swap.

Side note finally swapped out my throttle body kept going into reduced engine power mode. See how goes it. Throttle response is much better at low speed not as mushy. Only time will tell if this resolves the issue.

Last edited:

DonD

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ohio
Thanks fellas some pics of the components

Stock vs Bilstein Steering Stabilizer - I'd say definitely beefier!

This kit is the 2.5" leveling kit with Fox shocks, braces, end links and and tie rods from Cognito which makes a world of difference if you want to stick with IFS and 33" tires. Not shown here but I went with the Cognito 2" lift block for factory rake. 1" lift block if you want the leveled look.

Awaiting more mods...lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Will that steering stabilizer work with a 1500 suburban?

Thanks
Don

Reactions: Bob 1934

DonD

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ohio
Hey all -

Thought I'd post up my build up of my 2003 Chevrolet 2500 Suburban LT purchased new in 2003. Factory equipped : Vortec 6.0 LQ4 320hp/360tq, 4L80E HD Transmission, AutoTrac 4WD with hi/lo, skid plates, G80 auto-locker, 14 bolt semi float 4.10 gears. Every available option with the exception of the load leveling rear air suspension, 4 wheel steering, DVD system and the 8.1 big block.

Current setup:
  • MB 352 wheels 16x8.5 on 285/75/16 BFG KO2
  • Cognito 2.5" leveling kit with Fox 2.0 shocks front/rear
  • Cognito pitman and idler arm brace
  • Cognito 2" u-bolt kit to maintain the factory rake
  • Bilstein Steering Stabilizer
  • Supersprings Sumo oversized bump stop
  • Full LED conversion interior and exterior
  • Headlight and fog lights Silverstar ZXE 4300k halogen
  • Optima Yellow Top
  • NGK Spark Iridium plugs with new OE COPS
Completely Stock in 2004 well only replaced the factory exhaust with a custom Magnaflow exhaust.

Fast forward to 2014 started looking at a new set of BFG K02. Previous set of tires where BFG KO 265/75/16 on the factory wheels.

New set of MB 352 wheels 16x8.5 on 285/75/16 BFG KO2 Stock hight:

This setup rubbed bad in the front, had to do some trimming up on the air dam then a call to Cognito for the 2.5" UCA and Fox 2.0 shocks to clear the tire.

Added the rear Cognito u-bolt kit 2.0 with the Fox 2.0 shocks to maintain the factory look.

Then found the ride quality even with new UCA shocks where still not up to snuff..replaced the worn factory bump stops with the Supersprings Sumo bump stops:

added this with the Bilstein 5100 series steering stabilizer:

With current setup:
Really happy with the dampening with the Fox Shocks and the proper factory geometry of the IFS is maintained vs just keying. The bump stops literally fixed the bottoming out it feel on drop offs (bigger so activates sooner) with an added bonus leveling the burb on turns.

Let my know what you haven’t liked on the build because I’m going to steal most of your parts list that will work for me.

Thanks
Don

Attachments

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

It's been a while since I've been on busy with work life need to get back out on the trail. Anyway I finally completed my steering setup with Rare Parts Extreme duty idler arm, idler bracket and pitman arm. This is a must for oversized tires on any GM 01-10 Heavy Duty truck and SUV. The floaty feeling on the highway and wiggle over bumps all gone. Goes nicely with the Cognito steering brace and Heavy Duty Rare Parts tie rods. Feels like new and very happy thus far.

I highly recommend this setup.

Reference:
20190622_090430.jpg20190622_090418.jpg20190619_193750.jpgScreenshot_20190622-092255_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Hey all -

Thought I'd post up my build up of my 2003 Chevrolet 2500 Suburban LT purchased new in 2003. Factory equipped : Vortec 6.0 LQ4 320hp/360tq, 4L80E HD Transmission, AutoTrac 4WD with hi/lo, skid plates, G80 auto-locker, 14 bolt semi float 4.10 gears. Every available option with the exception of the load leveling rear air suspension, 4 wheel steering, DVD system and the 8.1 big block.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: Update
Price:$33.01 & FREE Shipping-Amaqzon/
Genuine GM 15835666 Control Arm Bumper, Front

, 104641
Current setup:
  • MB 352 wheels 16x8.5 on 285/75/16 BFG KO2
  • Cognito 2.5" leveling kit with Fox 2.0 shocks front/rear
  • Cognito pitman and idler arm brace
  • Cognito 2" u-bolt kit to maintain the factory rake
  • Bilstein Steering Stabilizer
  • Supersprings Sumo oversized bump stop
  • Full LED conversion interior and exterior
  • Headlight and fog lights Silverstar ZXE 4300k halogen
  • Optima Yellow Top
  • NGK Spark Iridium plugs with new OE COPS
Completely Stock in 2004 well only replaced the factory exhaust with a custom Magnaflow exhaust.

Fast forward to 2014 started looking at a new set of BFG K02. Previous set of tires where BFG KO 265/75/16 on the factory wheels.

New set of MB 352 wheels 16x8.5 on 285/75/16 BFG KO2 Stock hight:

This setup rubbed bad in the front, had to do some trimming up on the air dam then a call to Cognito for the 2.5" UCA and Fox 2.0 shocks to clear the tire.

Added the rear Cognito u-bolt kit 2.0 with the Fox 2.0 shocks to maintain the factory look.

Then found the ride quality even with new UCA shocks where still not up to snuff..replaced the worn factory bump stops with the Supersprings Sumo bump stops:

added this with the Bilstein 5100 series steering stabilizer:

With current setup:
Really happy with the dampening with the Fox Shocks and the proper factory geometry of the IFS is maintained vs just keying. The bump stops literally fixed the bottoming out it feel on drop offs (bigger so activates sooner) with an added bonus leveling the burb on turns.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did the Z-71 jounce bumper upgrade(yellow-front), as my original ones were looking similar to the OEMS you pictured(hard foam). Those New black ones look suspiciously similar to the AC/Delco(polyurathane). I upgraded to a 285x16x75 size tire, and it fits in the stock spare location underneath. See if that is the case with yours. A better option than a 2 downsize size OEM. (2003-2500 Silverado HD) Chevy at least could have offered 265 vs the 245 tires from the factory at the time. At least a 17" wheel is available NOW... vs the 20"...bling bling for the road queen trucks. Your wheel/tire package looks nice.

I have yet to see a newer Gen Tahoe/Suburban with a winch/ bull bumper. The body lines and body attachment points do not seem upgrade friendly with that new plastic front end. It's good to see upgraded Tahoe's, on those models still able to remove and replace F/R bumpers , as the days of easy aftermarket upgrades on them seem to have started fading in the 1990's.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Did the Z-71 jounce bumper upgrade(yellow-front), as my original ones were looking similar to the OEMS you pictured(hard foam). Those New black ones look suspiciously similar to the AC/Delco(polyurathane). I upgraded to a 285x16x75 size tire, and it fits in the stock spare location underneath. See if that is the case with yours. A better option than a 2 downsize size OEM. (2003-2500 Silverado HD) Chevy at least could have offered 265 vs the 245 tires from the factory at the time. At least a 17" wheel is available NOW... vs the 20"...bling bling for the road queen trucks. Your wheel/tire package looks nice.

I have yet to see a newer Gen Tahoe/Suburban with a winch/ bull bumper. The body lines and body attachment points do not seem upgrade friendly with that new plastic front end. It's good to see upgraded Tahoe's, on those models still able to remove and replace F/R bumpers , as the days of easy aftermarket upgrades on them seem to have started fading in the 1990's.
The ones I installed are Sumo Springs not OE Z71. A much better product. Very Happy with them. No more sway and dampends ride. Thanks I like the tire size for the lift need a new set of BFGs. Agreed on the bumper iron cross is the only one I liked thus far.