Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

I'm assuming you will be at Expo East this fall, right? I mean, its in your own state.... Anywho, if you are their come check out the OB Booth. I will be in the booth all weekend. And my rig will be either there or left in camp so you can check out what I've done with it in person. Not a whole lot, as I really want to keep the stock look as much as possible but there are some neat little things that make life easier.
My plan is to be there the 29th-30th. I've never been but I'm hoping for some killer deals on some gear!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

5iveSpires

Rank 0

Traveler I

It’s good to see other Troopers out there. This is my second Trooper. This one is a 2002 and my other was an ‘89.

Attachments

Andy G

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cannonsburg, MI
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Grow
Member #

Hey Chris - read in another post you put a large size transmission cooler on there...what make and model did you end up going with?

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Hey Chris - read in another post you put a large size transmission cooler on there...what make and model did you end up going with?
I got a B&M. I can't remember what the model was but it is the biggest I could fit on the front of the radiator. lol. I'll try to remember to get measurements the next time im outside

Reactions: Andy G

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Great build! I actually joined this forum from reading your thread. I have a 2000 Trooper on a 2” OME lift and I’m slowly building it into an overland rig :grin:
Thanks. There is a lot more to come. Big plans for this little rig.

Vadim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Hey Chris, great build!! I didnt see a whole lot of pics of the trooper however. What are you future plans?

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I got ball joint spacers and 1 inch coil spacers and I will get my lift up to an even 3 inches. I want to get a taller narrower tire when the time comes and need to make a little space and also ensure im not stressing the cv joints when I get the front cranked up so I'm going to install the spacers and do a UBJ flip on the uppers before I crank the torsion bars up that final inch.
I really want to get or build a winch bumper. Probably build since it will be cheaper than buying the ARB and having it shipped. Then I'm planning to build a rear bumper with a swing out on the 1/3 short door side (keeping the tire mounted to the door, its closer to the rig keeping weight closer to over the axel, that way) The swing out will be for my rotopax and jack. Getting a RTT so need to build a roof rack to support it (my rig has the factory threaded mounting points on the roof for 3 cross bars so that should be sufficient). Those are my plans for this year into next year.

5iveSpires

Rank 0

Traveler I

How is your TOD system working? I’m having problems and want to switch to manual hubs. I have heard that you can do this and that you can’t do this on the 2002. Do you know anything about that? Anyone have info on manual hubs for th 2002 Trooper?

Pug Loaf

Rank 0

Contributor I

Chris, now that you've had it a while, do you think the transmission cooler was effective? If so, could you provide the exact model so I can get one for my 2002 Trooper? I am hoping to keep this auto transmission going as long as I can. Thank you so much.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

How is your TOD system working? I’m having problems and want to switch to manual hubs. I have heard that you can do this and that you can’t do this on the 2002. Do you know anything about that? Anyone have info on manual hubs for th 2002 Trooper?
I think the TOD is great. I haven't had any issues with it at all. I'm not sure about manual. I've seen both answers too.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Chris, now that you've had it a while, do you think the transmission cooler was effective? If so, could you provide the exact model so I can get one for my 2002 Trooper? I am hoping to keep this auto transmission going as long as I can. Thank you so much.
I think the extra large cooler did the trick. I haven't had any issues since installing it. I'll have to get out today and check the model number when I get the snow cleared off it.

Pug Loaf

Rank 0

Contributor I

I think the extra large cooler did the trick. I haven't had any issues since installing it. I'll have to get out today and check the model number when I get the snow cleared off it.
Thank you! I would like to keep the transmission cool while crawling through the sand at the outerbanks in April, while pulling a camp trailer. Not the kind of place to have transmission issues. The information will be greatly appreciated.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Thank you! I would like to keep the transmission cool while crawling through the sand at the outerbanks in April, while pulling a camp trailer. Not the kind of place to have transmission issues. The information will be greatly appreciated.
Make sure if you have a legitimate winter where you live that you don't bypass the radiator. Youll need the radiator to help maintain operating temp when it gets cold out.