2002 Isuzu Trooper

• HTML tutorial

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

North Cascades, Washington
Member #

That looks great man! I'm with you, I hate clutter in my rig. Im trying to figure out where to mount an electric brake controller and its killing me! the standard place under the dash by your right knee seems really poor. Not sure what I'm going to do. Keep up the good work on your trooper, whenever I see one I still wonder if I shouldn't have bought one instead of my Jeep.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

That looks great man! I'm with you, I hate clutter in my rig. Im trying to figure out where to mount an electric brake controller and its killing me! the standard place under the dash by your right knee seems really poor. Not sure what I'm going to do. Keep up the good work on your trooper, whenever I see one I still wonder if I shouldn't have bought one instead of my Jeep.
Thanks. There's not a whole lot left to be done other than storage solutions and existing parts upgrades (torsion bars, sway bar bushings, beafy tie rods, etc...).

I had my heart set on either a Land Cruiser or a XJ with the inline 6. My heart still races a little when I see both. The cost of ownership for the Cruiser was just a little out of reach for me. And I still want that XJ ;) but I am in love with this trooper. The amount of space in what appears to be a small/midsize SUV is amazing.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

So the transmission shop installed a trans cooler when they rebuilt it a while back. They did not, however, install a small electric fan on the cooler. Which is fine on the highway, but the cooler is useless if I am crawling around trails. So this weekend I plan on installing a new fan on the cooler. I just need to find a good wiring diagram so I don't start a fire the first time I run it. haha.

Reactions: SLO Rob
T

TheBarefootFamily

Howdy all I am a Rodeo driver and you will find once you go over every inch of the damn things they become something awesome, I have a LSD rear axle and plan on a locker up front but for the high mountains I have not found any problems yet. I have fitted 31x10.50 and a 3 inch lift on mine and even without the replacement torsion bars Roddy is plenty grabby on the trails, my brothers and their fancy pants 4x4 won't and don't go where I can I love it. I am going to you put a jump seat in the back for extra seating and hopefully get my cargo cases this year. Keep up the good work and remember Isuzu might be gone in the U.S. but them bastards are far from forgotten.

Last edited:

TrailHawkZ71

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Howard-Dale
Member #

Looks good! I've always had a desire for a Gen 2 Trooper. Have never pulled the trigger on one, although once I finish my '98, I may get one.

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

Nice looking build. Ive always found the trooper to be a good choice for overlanding.. They can be had fairly inexpensively, and they are great little rigs.

NC-Trooper

US SouthEast Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

Nice build you have got started, is this still an on going build?
I have a '99 Trooper and it's nice to see others overlanding.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Thanks, its an ongoing build in the sense that I keep having to rebuild the junky transmission in it. But I do have some other plans to do when finances stabilize a bit.

NC-Trooper

Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

Thanks, its an ongoing build in the sense that I keep having to rebuild the junky transmission in it. But I do have some other plans to do when finances stabilize a bit.
How many time have you had to rebuild it? Do you tow with yours?

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

i do not tow. its been rebuilt 3 times in the last 3 years. a common issue with the auto trans in these things. I think this last rebuild will stick. The pump seemed to be the issue the last couple times.

NC-Trooper

Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

Hey Chris anything new with the Trooper? Dying for an update

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: MA_Trooper

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Hey Chris anything new with the Trooper? Dying for an update

Haha, haven't had much time lately. It will be getting another inch on the rear and half inch on the front. Installing ball joint spacers to alleviate the harsh angle of the CV joints. And installing an electric fan on the trans cooler before the drive up tho MA. The other items will have to wait til we are settled in to the new place. I also plan on adding a light bar behind the slots in the bumper so it's nice and hidden. And will likely build a rear bumper to accommodate a swing out fuel can arm in the quarter door side. That's a project for way later though.

Reactions: Levidale

NC-Trooper

Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

Haha, haven't had much time lately. It will be getting another inch on the rear and half inch on the front. Installing ball joint spacers to alleviate the harsh angle of the CV joints. And installing an electric fan on the trans cooler before the drive up tho MA. The other items will have to wait til we are settled in to the new place. I also plan on adding a light bar behind the slots in the bumper so it's nice and hidden. And will likely build a rear bumper to accommodate a swing out fuel can arm in the quarter door side. That's a project for way later though.
Do you know were you are getting the ball bearing spacers from or what kind? I'd like to know for my own Trooper.

What lift are you running now?

I'm also following your lead and swapping a manual tranny in whenever my auto dies. It has been great so far though (knock on wood)

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Do you know were you are getting the ball bearing spacers from or what kind? I'd like to know for my own Trooper.

I'm also following your lead and swapping a manual tranny in whenever my auto dies. It has been great so far though (knock on wood)

I ordered the ball joint spacers from indipendent4x.com the have them mfg to order to it takes a little while. I'm running the ome kit from rocky road. Love that suspension. So good on and off road.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Hey Chris how's the transmission doing? Hopefully it was a false alarm on our trip in New Mexico.
Unfortunately it was an eye opener. Hopefully I haven't been hitting high temps since the last rebuild, but something needs to be done. Had to stop on the way up to Cloudcroft cause I was spiking really high. I think a fan on the trans cooler will take care of things. On the highway the whole way home it never got above 185 so I know that if I keep air moving through it the temp stays low. Just a little worried that the damage may already be done.

Reactions: Levidale

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

As for the transmission. I'm going to baby it the best I can for as long as it will let me. When it goes, the whole drive-train is being replaced. My friend used to run a 4x4 shop in the DR and has an importer buddy in Japan that owes him a few favors. So he is trying to find a mint 3.1 turbo diesel for the Bighorn with a 5 speed manual attached to ship to me. Here's hoping I can keep the rust at bay when we get up to MA.

NC-Trooper

Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

That'll be awesome!

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

That'll be awesome!

I'm assuming you will be at Expo East this fall, right? I mean, its in your own state.... Anywho, if you are their come check out the OB Booth. I will be in the booth all weekend. And my rig will be either there or left in camp so you can check out what I've done with it in person. Not a whole lot, as I really want to keep the stock look as much as possible but there are some neat little things that make life easier.

Reactions: NC-Trooper