2002 Chevy Tracker becoming an overlanding camper.

• HTML tutorial

mattjans

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Rockville, MD, USA
Member #

I'm starting this project with a camping box and drawers in the back. Have already removed the seats and I'm drawing up the plans right now.

I also want to soundproof the truck. It's pretty loud now that the seats are removed. I'm looking for a coating I can use on the truck itself and the camping box (plywood or MDF) for sound dampening, waterproofing, and just making the thing a little more durable.

Here's what I've found. I'm looking for recommendations or opinions. Paint/roll on preferred since I don't have an air compressor. Thanks!

1) Herculiner bedliner
2) Lizard Skin (pretty pricey and requires an air compressor)
3) Spray on undercoating
4) Flexseal (pricey)
5) Plastidip

Any solutions I'm missing? Any favorites?

Since we'll be sleeping in the rig, too, I don't want it to smell bad.

Thanks!

Pathfinder I

Bellingham
I'm starting this project with a camping box and drawers in the back. Have already removed the seats and I'm drawing up the plans right now.

I also want to soundproof the truck. It's pretty loud now that the seats are removed. I'm looking for a coating I can use on the truck itself and the camping box (plywood or MDF) for sound dampening, waterproofing, and just making the thing a little more durable.

Here's what I've found. I'm looking for recommendations or opinions. Paint/roll on preferred since I don't have an air compressor. Thanks!

1) Herculiner bedliner
2) Lizard Skin (pretty pricey and requires an air compressor)
3) Spray on undercoating
4) Flexseal (pricey)
5) Plastidip

Any solutions I'm missing? Any favorites?

Since we'll be sleeping in the rig, too, I don't want it to smell bad.

Thanks!
I personally like spray on undercoating but you need a warm area for it to dry and set properly. I recently sprayed some in lower 40’s temps and it took forever to dry, like days! But once dry it’s pretty good stuff. Has some slight give/flex to it unlike bed liner or more dense sprays.

Reactions: mattjans

mattjans

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Rockville, MD, USA
Member #

I personally like spray on undercoating but you need a warm area for it to dry and set properly. I recently sprayed some in lower 40’s temps and it took forever to dry, like days! But once dry it’s pretty good stuff. Has some slight give/flex to it unlike bed liner or more dense sprays.
Thanks! I'll have to wait a few weeks for it to warm up. Cold winter in MD this year.

Reactions: Overland_Mitsu

mattjans

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Rockville, MD, USA
Member #

Got the camping box installed in my rig (still need to finish drawers and all the bells and whistles). Want to install second battery this fall. Just went out to measure and I can't see where I'll fit a second battery under the hood. The big empty space is a little too small. Any reason I shouldn't put it behind the passenger's side seat? Already removed the back seats with the camping box install. img_20190829_181004.375.jpegimg_20190829_182318.954.jpeg