2001 Land Rover Discovery 2 "Fisherman's Camper"

• HTML tutorial

temma2k2

Rank 0

Traveler I

So I bought my first Disco this month and I plan on turning it into a "Fisherman's Camper" something that I can fish out the back of and still take on green lanes, any way here are a few pictures of it before I started to dismantle the rear three quarters.

49947739_2588414284518505_5272841983914672128_o.jpg50536357_2588412991185301_1899313819092516864_o.jpg50035265_2588414037851863_291630491306557440_o.jpg50327552_2588413451185255_4638356502615162880_o.jpg50115499_2588413981185202_6523127364874928128_o.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: Cougar1968

temma2k2

Rank 0

Traveler I

I have now started the process of putting a 12mm ply board base in the rear to build my camping rig on top of...

The plan is to have another piece that goes to the back of the front seats so that it can be installed and removed in 2 parts for access to the fuel pump and chassis mount bolts, the wood will be covered in vinyl so that its easy to clean

temma2k2

Rank 0

Traveler I

Things left to do before first test trip:
  • Finish second part of flooring (More ply and will need feet to give support for passenger footwell)
  • Add vinyl (help keep ply clean from mucky boots)
  • Make thermal window blinds (england can be cold at times brrrr)

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I have now started the process of putting a 12mm ply board base in the rear to build my camping rig on top of...

View attachment 91355

View attachment 91356

The plan is to have another piece that goes to the back of the front seats so that it can be installed and removed in 2 parts for access to the fuel pump and chassis mount bolts, the wood will be covered in vinyl so that its easy to clean

View attachment 91355

View attachment 91356

Blimey, she looks just lik me own ! You know how to pic um. Keep us posted on the rest of your updates.

Reactions: temma2k2

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Will do :-), have you got a picture of yours?
Here ya go, I told you our rigs look alike. I have 101,000 on my 2000 D2 V8 , 4.0. She got best up a little a couple of years ago in a hail storm, mostly plastic damage on roof gutters, A arm piller and bumpers. She's still a doll in my book and I call her Sheila... 3" Lift kit is on the way from lucky8 so it's a start.

Attachments

temma2k2

Rank 0

Traveler I

Here ya go, I told you our rigs look alike. I have 101,000 on my 2000 D2 V8 , 4.0. She got best up a little a couple of years ago in a hail storm, mostly plastic damage on roof gutters, A arm piller and bumpers. She's still a doll in my book and I call her Sheila... 3" Lift kit is on the way from lucky8 so it's a start.
I just cant make my mind up on whether I want to change the colour of mine...

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Have you watched Brummy Prepper videos on utube ? He has a great looking camo paint job or the black one on utube Raptors Garage painted with bed liner paint ? Our OB land rover membership has some really great looking rigs as well.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I actually like my color and plan to paint my little travel trailer to match my rig. The color is not intrusive to boondock colors and blends into the sand hill colors.
Your ahead of me on your interior which I am having a big fight in my head . Should I build to the max, including sleeping , or to have a tent when I go without the camper and build just the kitchen cargo interior. I lean toward a sleep in rig since I travel alone most of the time and my trailer wont go everywhere I want to go.
Keep us posted on your updates. mine will come later when I get to other projects that are on hold right now.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I do like the idea of using bed liner but maybe in another colour to black...
Check out this rig, he has it all...

temma2k2

Rank 0

Traveler I

Check out this rig, he has it all...
This is my inspiration for this project and for buying the Disco :-)

temma2k2

Rank 0

Traveler I

Been a while since I posted an update on here...

So where to start, the D2 is now currently SORN whilst I fix a few issues before its MOT...

I have had a leak whilst I was away on holiday - came back to a very mouldy D2 :-(

Mould has been cleaned up but I am stripping the entire interior to clean each part individually.

Current jobs on the list:
  • Steering box replacement
  • Braided brake cables
  • New shock absorbers
  • Complete ACE to standard ARBs replacement
  • Silicone Coolant hoses
  • Silicone Turbo hoses
  • ERG blanking kit
  • Steering damper
  • Remove carpet find leak and clean all interior items
All parts are ordered to will try to post pics as work is done...

temma2k2

Rank 0

Traveler I

Quick update on how the work is coming along...

Current jobs on the list:
  • Steering box replacement - DONE
  • Braided brake cables - TO DO
  • New shock absorbers - DONE
  • Complete ACE to standard ARBs replacement - DONE
  • Silicone Coolant hoses - DONE
  • Silicone Turbo hoses - DONE
  • ERG blanking kit - HOLDING OFF TILL AFTER MOT
  • Steering damper - DONE
  • Remove carpet find leak and clean all interior items - FOUND LEAK WE THINK :-)
Sorry for the lack of pictures but once I have it back from the MOT I will take some pictures of the work done, then the real work will start of converting it to a camper4x4 :-D