2001 K2500 Suburban Build

• HTML tutorial

sasirmon

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler I

Bought my new my new project vehicle this week. A Black 2001 K2500 Suburban with a 8.1 496ci.

Mods for right now are:

Leveled with 35" Toyo Open Country M/Ts

K&N CAI

MagnaFlow exhaust

AM I Big Stick Antenna

Primus Brake Controller

Have the parts to build the bumpers, sliders, and roof rack at the shop so many more mods to come. Stay tuned!

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Very nice! I'm a GM guy at heart so it's good to see someone representing. :wink: Looking forward to the build.

sasirmon

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler I

Removed an old alarm and remote start setup on the Suburban today and now the power locks work! Been making some progress on the rear bumper and should have it finished early next week and then I'll get started on the front bumper. Also built a receiver shackle mount for the 2.5" receiver hitch I'm building for the rear bumper.

sasirmon

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler I

Started taking the cubby hole out of the center consol so I could mount a switch panel in it like I did with the Tahoe. Turns out they are made different from each other so I wound up having to take out that whole section of consol and build a replacement for it. Picture kinda stinks I'll get better pictures when it's finished.

sasirmon

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler I

Installed a Poison Spyder hood louver on the Suburban today. Didn't get to paint it but I'll do that tomorrow while I'm installing the center consol I built yesterday.

sasirmon

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler I

Got the center consol installed today. Bully Dog programmer voltmeter, and usb port wired up too. Hood got painted and coated while I was wiring everything up too.

sasirmon

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler I

Finished the rear bumper today all I have left is to clean up the seams and paint it but I'll wait until I'm done with the front bumper to do that so I can hit them both at the same time. Cut most of the main pieces cut out for the front bumper, got some pieces tacked and holes drilled for the fairlead and stinger.

Reactions: SLO Rob

sasirmon

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler I

Test fit the front bumper today. Should have it finished tomorrow and hopefully have it put on by Wednesday.

sasirmon

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler I

Replaced a leaky heater hose tee on the Suburban today. The previous owner had bypassed the heater core altogether when the tee started leaking in the middle of nowhere. Drained radiator and added fresh coolant, heater works extremely well. Finished the front bumper today too, it's all clean and ready to be coated tomorrow. Hopefully I can have all my stuff put back together by the weekend.

sasirmon

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler I

<p>Changed the oil, filter, spark plugs, and spark plug wires on the Suburban today. Went with NGK plugs and MSN wires on took about 45 minutes to change all 8 of them, I was pleasantly surprised to see dielectric grease and anti-seize on the old plugs too. Also got the bumpers mounted up today. Just have to finish building the receiver hitch and wire everything up and I'll be good to go. Hoping I finally get to drive it home tomorrow, it's been 2 weeks since the poor thing has gotten to move. Any here is a pic of the front bumper mounted up and get some less sucky pictures tomorrow when I get it out in the sun. Went with a Smittybilt X2O 17.5K winch on this one. Figured it would move anything I would want to. 
</span></p></p>

sasirmon

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler I

<p>Finally got some pictures of the rear bumper today. Also got the charging dock for my Streamlight mounted and wired up. And mounted the paracord grab handles so that the vertically challenged ones will have an easier time getting in.
</p>

Justin_0237

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate III

Vacaville, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mulrooney
Member #

<p>Wow getting a lot of work done to your rig that's awesome! I really wish I could weld to make my own bumpers as well! These kinds of bumpers are so expensive! </p>

sasirmon

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler I

14639 said:
<p>Wow getting a lot of work done to your rig that’s awesome! I really wish I could weld to make my own bumpers as well! These kinds of bumpers are so expensive! </p>
I got kinda forced into building them when I first started because nobody built one for a Tahoe that I liked not to mention I couldn't afford a pre-built bumper anyway!

sasirmon

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mounted and wired up a set of 11" single row led light bars on the hood of the Suburban today. Seem to pretty bright but I haven't been able to test them at night yet.