2001 Jeep XJ build (Blue Steel)

• HTML tutorial

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Oh cool. Did it lift it past factory height, or just put it back? I'd guess you know this already, but from what I've read, the factory ride height is 17.5" front and 17" rear, measured from the middle of the hub to the bottom of the fender flare.

I haven't measured...I'll go do that

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I have a ton of work ahead of me in the coming weeks, just ordered these goodiest:

50" Curved LED light bar
Upper windshield mount for the light bar
brake shoes, brake pads, and all the hardware to rebuild the rear drum brakes
Window Visors

Not to mention the parts I have lying around I need to get installed...lol. I hope it warms up so I can get to work!

Reactions: Byron Eby

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

So this was fun..... broken springs, shoes were so worn it put huge scrapes and grooves in the drums, the self adjuster was seized and the cable was broken and wrapped around stuff causing my rear brakes to not work while trying to brake then all of a sudden the brakes would lock up while driving... so glad it's fixed

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Sadly I was so dirty after working on the brakes I decided not to get out my phone for pics after it was finished :( I replaced everything and wire brushed and painted the brake backing plate so it was nice and shiny in there and everything now works and it is a night and day difference in the stopping power

benmmc

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Ball Ground, GA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
McCloskey
Member #

That's rad! We need an off/on photo of it lighting up the woods now. :grin:

Sway bars are for daily drivers. Who needs those? No sway bar=more travel
Yeah on XJ's it's weird. The front is absolutely necessary if you're driving over 50 mph to avoid death wobble (that's why we do discos up there). The rear however is essentially useless, and in fact was removed as a "feature" for certain packages. It's super tiny anyway; doesn't do much since they are leafs back there. I removed my rear and notice no difference in sway, handling, etc (however, I also have stiffer rear leafs).

Reactions: Byron Eby

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Yeah on XJ's it's weird. The front is absolutely necessary if you're driving over 50 mph to avoid death wobble (that's why we do discos up there). The rear however is essentially useless, and in fact was removed as a "feature" for certain packages. It's super tiny anyway; doesn't do much since they are leafs back there. I removed my rear and notice no difference in sway, handling, etc (however, I also have stiffer rear leafs).

I'm sure I could get away with no rear sway bar, just honestly haven't had the need or desire to remove it yet. My rear leafs are new OEM packs with Rough Country add-a-leaf and adjustable shackles.

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I'm sure I could get away with no rear sway bar, just honestly haven't had the need or desire to remove it yet. My rear leafs are new OEM packs with Rough Country add-a-leaf and adjustable shackles.

Byron Eby

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sacramento, CA
Member #

I was debating removing my front but I drive it too much for that. Worst case is I could disconnect the end links when hitting a trail.