2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo

• HTML tutorial

Traveler I

So here's my improved crossbars to carry my ladders for work. It seems a lot better than putting them on the Rola, primarily because the stock crossbars don't inspire any confidence in me. I really wish the stock rails weren't aluminum... They are the weak link along with whatever holds them on the roof.... How I wish I could afford the Frontrunner... Or I wish I had the resources to built an entire permanent or bolt on system myself. If my business progresses how I want, I will someday have a trailer and I will mount a ladder rack on it and I can go back to my "adventure" setup. But for now this will work.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
Definitely those crossbars look stronger, looks nice the jeep. Good job!!

Sent from my SM-G610M using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: maxfederle89

Montaska

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Anchorage/Nikiski, Alaska
Member #

Thanks man! Appreciate it. What do you drive now?

Now I drive a 2017 Ram 1500 Quad Cab. I'd probably still have the WJ but it got a weird electrical issue and I traded it in back in 2010. There's a lot more support for the WJ now, but mine at the time had a roof rack, skid plates and I put steel wheels and all terrain tires on it. It drove from Alaska to Montana, camping along the way, like a champ!

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
Now I drive a 2017 Ram 1500 Quad Cab. I'd probably still have the WJ but it got a weird electrical issue and I traded it in back in 2010. There's a lot more support for the WJ now, but mine at the time had a roof rack, skid plates and I put steel wheels and all terrain tires on it. It drove from Alaska to Montana, camping along the way, like a champ!
Sounds cool! Do you have any pictures? I want to do steel wheels with more offset or get some wheel spacers. What style of wheel did you have?

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I have Quadra Trac II in my Jeep and I had no issues with the t-case. My catalytic converter on the other hand was the issue!

How difficult was the install on the skidplate? I picked one up and the IRO high clearance trans crossmember.

Last edited:

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
How difficult was the install on the skidplate? I picked one up and the IRO high clearance trans crossmember.
Nice! It wasn't terribly difficult. Had to have my wife help me run the jack as I laid underneath and balanced the skid plate. Once I figured out where it needed to be I just put pressure on it with the jack and drilled the holes. Made sure to have a brand new sharp bit. But my cordless Makita handled it fine. Then it took some patience and some heavy wire to fanangle the nut plates into place. I left the wire long and hooked it underneath so I have something to fish the nut plates out if I ever need to take it off.

Unfortunately after I had it on my catalytic converter was sitting on it. I think it's a V8 problem because the cat is bigger. I went to an exhaust shop and they fixed it but I wish I had just cut it out and clamped some pipe in instead. If you don't mind running without that's what I would recommend doing before you install the armor. When the exhaust shop S-bent the pipe to get it higher I swear I lost 2 MPG and some throttle response.... But maybe it's just me. But it's a completely doable job yourself. Really not hard just time consuming.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Nice! It wasn't terribly difficult. Had to have my wife help me run the jack as I laid underneath and balanced the skid plate. Once I figured out where it needed to be I just put pressure on it with the jack and drilled the holes. Made sure to have a brand new sharp bit. But my cordless Makita handled it fine. Then it took some patience and some heavy wire to fanangle the nut plates into place. I left the wire long and hooked it underneath so I have something to fish the nut plates out if I ever need to take it off.

Unfortunately after I had it on my catalytic converter was sitting on it. I think it's a V8 problem because the cat is bigger. I went to an exhaust shop and they fixed it but I wish I had just cut it out and clamped some pipe in instead. If you don't mind running without that's what I would recommend doing before you install the armor. When the exhaust shop S-bent the pipe to get it higher I swear I lost 2 MPG and some throttle response.... But maybe it's just me. But it's a completely doable job yourself. Really not hard just time consuming.

I don’t recall what year exactly, but my cats are further forward on the vehicle so I shouldn’t have any clearance issues. I might recruit someone to help me. A floor jack and jack stands only get you so far.

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
I don’t recall what year exactly, but my cats are further forward on the vehicle so I shouldn’t have any clearance issues. I might recruit someone to help me. A floor jack and jack stands only get you so far.
That's good then. Mine had 2 small cats upstream and then one big one. Not sure why but I still want to cut out the big one. I'm sure I'd gain power back.

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
Haven't done much fun stuff.... Just trying to get through the winter. Need to find some better places to drive. Not much glory in Mall Crawlin...

Reactions: Jimmy P

Vertigo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bowling Green, KY
Member #

There is weight to consider but I hate to think how delicate the front end is if I were to hit a deer or get in a fender bender. The radiators will get destroyed first. And it will take bumper rub out of the equation with bigger tires. And I like how Rock Hard 4x4 Bumpers look a lot. [emoji106]

I was also going to say if you stick with the 245/75r16 size, the tires are cheap and there are tons of great options as far as how aggressive you want to go with them

I know this is old, but have you seen hk off road Gatekeeper? Protects the lower radiator support, works with factory bumpers. Just a different line of thinking.

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
I know this is old, but have you seen hk off road Gatekeeper? Protects the lower radiator support, works with factory bumpers. Just a different line of thinking.
I have and I'm still considering it. I just wondered if I would tie up the money and time installing it and then wish I had a full bumper. But I do like the design and intent. And they have a way to mount a winch under the factory bumper don't they?

Vertigo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bowling Green, KY
Member #

I have and I'm still considering it. I just wondered if I would tie up the money and time installing it and then wish I had a full bumper. But I do like the design and intent. And they have a way to mount a winch under the factory bumper don't they?

Yes they do. I'm actually going that route once I get the new PS pump and window regulator. 2 months in the barn while I relocated took its toll.

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
Yes they do. I'm actually going that route once I get the new PS pump and window regulator. 2 months in the barn while I relocated took its toll.
Sweet! If you do you should take pictures and post them. Tag me because if be very interested as to how it goes together. Do you have a build thread? I can't recall if I've seen it or not.

What took its toll?

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
Looks like you found my build thread. The lack of use, and being stored in Ohio in subzero temps. Things just creak and squeak more.
Oh I got you. My shocks and rear sway bar endlink bushings are really squeeky. Are you driving it again?

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Oh I got you. My shocks and rear sway bar endlink bushings are really squeeky. Are you driving it again?

I just had a thought about the noise. Did you torque everything down when your rig was in the air? That will cause things to bind and squeak.

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
I just had a thought about the noise. Did you torque everything down when your rig was in the air? That will cause things to bind and squeak.
I had a shop install, it was more than I could chew. It's possible they did. But I can't tell for sure.