2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo

• HTML tutorial

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
I can dig the emblem. I have one that has a mountain scene on it and says est 2004 since my WJ is an '04. I'm considering the OME lift. it's about a 2in lift but I'll get HD springs for all the added weight on the rig. Hoping for good driveability
I nearly got an OME lift but I ended up with the IRO. I think the Rocky Road OME lift comes with lower control arms and you can option in Bilstein shocks. Those additions might make all the difference in driveability. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I nearly got an OME lift but I ended up with the IRO. I think the Rocky Road OME lift comes with lower control arms and you can option in Bilstein shocks. Those additions might make all the difference in driveability. [emoji106]

I don't want a ton of lift as it's still a DD and I need to maintain the driveability for longer stretches. I've considered different shocks, but the OME come highly recommended. Still unsure. I'm looking at those IRO skid plates and trans cross member you added for extra clearance and protection.

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
I don't want a ton of lift as it's still a DD and I need to maintain the driveability for longer stretches. I've considered different shocks, but the OME come highly recommended. Still unsure. I'm looking at those IRO skid plates and trans cross member you added for extra clearance and protection.
I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I don't DD all the time but I wanted it to be great on the road because my last 2 round trips to see my folks were 1500 miles each time. That will be the true test. I have a friend who's like a little sister and she just bought a WJ. I will probably steer her towards an OME kit for the reasons you stated.

On this trip to the ranch I purposely high centered the WJ to see where it would hit. It was pretty much right on the IRO skid plate. [emoji108]

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I don't DD all the time but I wanted it to be great on the road because my last 2 round trips to see my folks were 1500 miles each time. That will be the true test. I have a friend who's like a little sister and she just bought a WJ. I will probably steer her towards an OME kit for the reasons you stated.

On this trip to the ranch I purposely high centered the WJ to see where it would hit. It was pretty much right on the IRO skid plate. [emoji108]

For that, I am sold on the skid plate. My trip a about a week about encompassed about 1600 miles round trip. MY only complaint was my louder muffler. I would have liked the lift or protection to take some more of the less traveled paths.

Reactions: maxfederle89

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
For that, I am sold on the skid plate. My trip a about a week about encompassed about 1600 miles round trip. MY only complaint was my louder muffler. I would have liked the lift or protection to take some more of the less traveled paths.
Nice! I'll admit I did some rough trails on stock suspension but I'm super excited with my lift now. And I have quick disconnects. With 32" tires I'm hoping to get, my goal is to keep up with my friends in JK's on 35's. But honestly it really surprised me stock.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Nice! I'll admit I did some rough trails on stock suspension but I'm super excited with my lift now. And I have quick disconnects. With 32" tires I'm hoping to get, my goal is to keep up with my friends in JK's on 35's. But honestly it really surprised me stock.

We don't have too many trails around here, so it's just MMR's. I hit some up over the weekend while out shooting some scenery photos with a friend. Lot's of rough, rocky spots with steps up and down somewhere around 12in. Stock did well as long as I watched my line as to not rip my trans cross member off.

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
We don't have too many trails around here, so it's just MMR's. I hit some up over the weekend while out shooting some scenery photos with a friend. Lot's of rough, rocky spots with steps up and down somewhere around 12in. Stock did well as long as I watched my line as to not rip my trans cross member off.
Sounds like a great time. If I want real offroading it's hours any direction from where I live. It's even hard to find a rough road. But I'm hoping to do more camping next summer. And I'll keep looking locally for fun spots to drive.

pikeintheboat

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Ellettsville, Indiana
Member #

Me too. Sold on the skid plate. And OME kit for suspension and upgraded sway bars. But only after I refurbish the OE bushings and end links, and any other worn suspension/steering linkage. I also have brake work to do and refurbish worn U-joints. Mine mainly was driven on the streets and parking lots. I'm the 3rd owner and probably the first one to replace any worn out parts. It's my first Jeep, too!

Like any Overland vehicle, the WJ is a compromise of comfort and off-road ability. It was never designed for heavy duty overland travel, but OME as done an excellent job designing the proper suspension for overlanding. All other suspensions seem to be focused on wheeling/crawling. Others that have gone with more than a 1.5" of lift have commented about the drive-ability issues changing as well. For that, I don't want to put a 3" lift on it. But, that's just me and how I want to use my vehicle. Plus, it needs to tow my fishing boat from Indiana to Minnesota and back and I can't make it wicked to drive. Safety is a big factor in my "upgrade" desires.

If in the end I can run my WJ on Arizona "medium difficulty" trails and camp in the wilderness, turn around and get back home safely then I'll be happy.

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
Me too. Sold on the skid plate. And OME kit for suspension and upgraded sway bars. But only after I refurbish the OE bushings and end links, and any other worn suspension/steering linkage. I also have brake work to do and refurbish worn U-joints. Mine mainly was driven on the streets and parking lots. I'm the 3rd owner and probably the first one to replace any worn out parts. It's my first Jeep, too!

Like any Overland vehicle, the WJ is a compromise of comfort and off-road ability. It was never designed for heavy duty overland travel, but OME as done an excellent job designing the proper suspension for overlanding. All other suspensions seem to be focused on wheeling/crawling. Others that have gone with more than a 1.5" of lift have commented about the drive-ability issues changing as well. For that, I don't want to put a 3" lift on it. But, that's just me and how I want to use my vehicle. Plus, it needs to tow my fishing boat from Indiana to Minnesota and back and I can't make it wicked to drive. Safety is a big factor in my "upgrade" desires.

If in the end I can run my WJ on Arizona "medium difficulty" trails and camp in the wilderness, turn around and get back home safely then I'll be happy.
Sounds like you have good clear cut goals. Someday I may wish I would have gone with a milder lift, only time will tell. But for now I'm glad I did the one I did. I can probably live with it because I'm a careful driver anyway. I also figure down the road I can always do Bilstein shocks but that's a decision I won't make lightly.

Another big factor is that I did want to run a bit bigger tire. I'm on 245/75r16 now and I have a free set of 255/75r17 to go on now. Eventually I'll run 265/75r16 on some black offroad wheels but only after I install at least a front bumper.

Reactions: pikeintheboat

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA

The HD OME springs are the way to go for towing. That's what I'm going for. The IRO trans cross member is the next thing I'd suggest as it'll give you some better clearances. Definitely recommend some HD/tow brakes. I believe I got mine from Summit, but Quadratec has them as well. Just gotta be sure the fronts are correct as in 2002 Jeep changed to a different front caliper. Ran into an issue with that with EBC pads and had to send it all back.

Reactions: maxfederle89

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
The HD OME springs are the way to go for towing. That's what I'm going for. The IRO trans cross member is the next thing I'd suggest as it'll give you some better clearances. Definitely recommend some HD/tow brakes. I believe I got mine from Summit, but Quadratec has them as well. Just gotta be sure the fronts are correct as in 2002 Jeep changed to a different front caliper. Ran into an issue with that with EBC pads and had to send it all back.
This is true. The Akebono calipers are better than the Teves. I have Akebono front and Teves rear and let me tell you, the spring clip retainer on the Teves is a bugger. Tore open both my hands on the first one figuring out how to put them back on...

pikeintheboat

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Ellettsville, Indiana
Member #

This is true. The Akebono calipers are better than the Teves. I have Akebono front and Teves rear and let me tell you, the spring clip retainer on the Teves is a bugger. Tore open both my hands on the first one figuring out how to put them back on...

Right on. The OME kit comes with an optional front swaybar and Ill get the Addco 1" swaybar for the rear. Add refurbished bushings/linkages/balljoints and this thing should be really awesome on/off road/overland. That is my hope at least. The 04's came with the Akebono's, so I'm good there. I was thinking of EBC pads/rotors as well...... Still in the air with tires. There are MANY great options in the stock sizes.

pikeintheboat

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Ellettsville, Indiana
Member #

only after I install at least a front bumper.
I don't plan on a bumper. I just think it's too heavy of an add-on. FawkesFab makes an awesome recovery kit that I like because it's modular. But, I don't plan on being somewhere that some maxtraxx can't help get me unstuck, or a buddy with a winch. I'll just be sure to have some cold ones on hand for post recovery. :)

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
I don't plan on a bumper. I just think it's too heavy of an add-on. FawkesFab makes an awesome recovery kit that I like because it's modular. But, I don't plan on being somewhere that some maxtraxx can't help get me unstuck, or a buddy with a winch. I'll just be sure to have some cold ones on hand for post recovery. :)
There is weight to consider but I hate to think how delicate the front end is if I were to hit a deer or get in a fender bender. The radiators will get destroyed first. And it will take bumper rub out of the equation with bigger tires. And I like how Rock Hard 4x4 Bumpers look a lot. [emoji106]

I was also going to say if you stick with the 245/75r16 size, the tires are cheap and there are tons of great options as far as how aggressive you want to go with them

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Right on. The OME kit comes with an optional front swaybar and Ill get the Addco 1" swaybar for the rear. Add refurbished bushings/linkages/balljoints and this thing should be really awesome on/off road/overland. That is my hope at least. The 04's came with the Akebono's, so I'm good there. I was thinking of EBC pads/rotors as well...... Still in the air with tires. There are MANY great options in the stock sizes.
I have the Fawkes Fab recovery kit with a bull bar. I love the look! I also have a pintle style tow loop in the hitch. I'm running Yokohama Geolandar stock sized tires. I love them for all around usage

pikeintheboat

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Ellettsville, Indiana
Member #

There is weight to consider but I hate to think how delicate the front end is if I were to hit a deer or get in a fender bender. The radiators will get destroyed first. And it will take bumper rub out of the equation with bigger tires. And I like how Rock Hard 4x4 Bumpers look a lot.
Meh. With a fender-bender you'll destroy whatever you hit especially if your WJ has a bumper. I'd worry about liability and people. At least ARB's bullbar for the WJ is airbag approved. Not so sure about the others. Just something I have thought about. With that being said, do any of the available bumpers(ARB, RH) protect the radiator from underneath? Don't let me discourage you, though. I think bumpers are a valid modification if your style of overlanding warrants it. Plus they are popular and functional. Just not what my plans are......

I have the Fawkes Fab recovery kit with a bull bar. I love the look! I also have a pintle style tow loop in the hitch. I'm running Yokohama Geolandar stock sized tires. I love them for all around usage
Nice! That's my plan. My trail-lights and antennas will need somewhere to go, right?

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Meh. With a fender-bender you'll destroy whatever you hit especially if your WJ has a bumper. I'd worry about liability and people. At least ARB's bullbar for the WJ is airbag approved. Not so sure about the others. Just something I have thought about. With that being said, do any of the available bumpers(ARB, RH) protect the radiator from underneath? Don't let me discourage you, though. I think bumpers are a valid modification if your style of overlanding warrants it. Plus they are popular and functional. Just not what my plans are......

Nice! That's my plan. My trail-lights and antennas will need somewhere to go, right?
Get one of the compatible bull bars or brush guards. My Texas Hunter bar had mounts for lights and I will either get an antenna for the CB that'll mount on the bar via clamp, or use the Quadratec mount. Check out my build page if you'd like

Reactions: pikeintheboat

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US

The whole reason I first looked at the Rock Hard bumper is because it fully covers the radiator bottom. It looks like it protects the most likely place you could hit it offroad. As far as on road, the ARB bumper protects the grill and headlights better but is nearly double the cost and I didn't think it went as low. As far as airbag approved, no idea. But hey, different strokes for different folks.

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
Got my JK wheels off a 2015 Wrangler put on today. 255/75r17 tires basically brand new. Couldn't be happier! The WJ rides better and I have no rub at full lock without wheel spacers. I'm really happy to not have to use spacers.