2000 GMC Yukon XL

• HTML tutorial

H3Coyote

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

MidWest, U.S., by Chicago.
Member #

@H3Coyote - where in the Midwest are you? It's a big area and to some Midwest includes states that others say it doesn't. If you'd rather not say publicly, DM me, and sure, I'll let you know when I'm around that part of the country.

Yeah, I've had vans going all the way back to the early 70's, though none were 4wheel drive. I have no interest, though, in shortening my frame or body. I had an extended body Ford van on a regular Ford van frame (they don't do a longer wheelbase for extended body, just use the same frame) and the ass end sticks out so far it would make your departure angle a headache. That's one big reason I wouldn't want to shorten the frame on mine. If I wanted a shorter framed or shorter bodied van, I'd get one that came that way, not cut mine up. Have nowhere to do it, anyway.

I like the way the frame supports my extended body van, love the way it drives now, trail or highway. As I wrote in the post above to Shpook, I don't want 4x4 so I can do radical trails or rock-climbing. Though my van is high clearance now and can go a lot of places most rear wheel drive vehicles can't, I want to be able to get around better in all seasons and to more places than I can now.

But, this is Shpook's thread abut his rig, not about mine. I'll start a thread about mine sometime here soon.

Let me know where in the country you are, and we'll get together when I'm out that way.
I feel the same, and, with respect to Shpook, I'll send you a DM...

Sent from my SM-T377R4 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Shpook

AussomPossum

Rank 0

Contributor I

How did you mount your roof rack? what size/kind of materials did you use? whats your next big plans? what things should someone expect to upgrade with a suburban. ( i just got a 2500 suburban and ready to get started but dont know where to start)

Reactions: Shpook

Shpook

Rank 0

Traveler I

The roof rack is made from 3/4" EMT galvanized steel electrical conduit. It's lightweight, and plenty strong for use as a roof rack. It's mounted using the 12 blind nuts the factory rails are bolted to, trick tabs, right angle brackets, and washers to spread the load a little better.

Next big thing will be to install a winch, once I figure out how I want to mount it. There's a few things on my list though. I want to rebuild the rack, make it a little lower profile while a little wider and longer, and not screw up the angles this time. Also need to decide how I'm going to deal with my horrible CV angles.

I don't have much first hand experience with the 2500. But I'd say get all your suspension and steering in order. Upgrade the tie rods and upper ball joints, get good shocks. If it's an LS, go ahead and replace the knock sensors and harness unless you know it's been done. Service both diffs, transmission, and xfer case. Get some good tires. Then just get out and ride. You'll quickly find out what you want or need. 90% of the crap on my truck(or others) is unnecessary for getting out and enjoying the outdoors.

Shpook

Rank 0

Traveler I

Probably do sliders, not really sure about bumpers. The truck is already 6300 lbs, I don't really want to add any more weight for little benefit. I also removed the running boards/steps the first week I bought the truck. I'll take some pics after work for you.

Tyler Frank

Rank 0

Contributor I

Love the build so far. I've debated either a Yukon or Yukon XL build (currently own both), but haven't decided. I'm 6'5" so it makes the XL look a bit more intriguing... but I don't know if I'm willing to give up 16-17 mpg for 13-14 mpg. I suppose that's town/highway driving, but I would expect it to make a difference with the weight when off road for a prolonged period. Just spitballing here... absolutely love your build though. Not many tahoe/yukon/suburban overland builds out there. They're too overlooked!

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
Love the build so far. I've debated either a Yukon or Yukon XL build (currently own both), but haven't decided. I'm 6'5" so it makes the XL look a bit more intriguing... but I don't know if I'm willing to give up 16-17 mpg for 13-14 mpg. I suppose that's town/highway driving, but I would expect it to make a difference with the weight when off road for a prolonged period. Just spitballing here... absolutely love your build though. Not many tahoe/yukon/suburban overland builds out there. They're too overlooked!
I want to do a build for the summer. looking around for a vehicle now. The Big and Bigger GM twins are on my list (doesn't matter if Chevy or GMC), but wondering if they're too big and thirsty....? The 16-17mpg you mentioned...is that what your stockers get? That's actually not bad at all. That's what my old 97 Grand Cherokee with the 4 liter six got, haha.

Having both, do you have any pros/cons to the two? Anything that stands out that makes you like one over the other? I imagine the XL has got a few lbs on the short bus, does that have a noticeable effect on fuel economy between the two? (mine will see a lot of highway miles going place to place, so every bit helps)

Thanks!

To the OP... Awesome build! This thing looks mean!

AussomPossum

Rank 0

Contributor I

If you are worried about mpg do not get a full blooded American V8 with every creature comfort known in a vehicle. I get 12 mpg around town and towing. 15 to 18 mpg hwy. 2000 suburban 2500 loaded with the 6.0. but with that said i have a 71 chevy ton that i LS swapped with a 6.0 and i get 20mpg out of it but i put the NV4500 behind it. so if youre willing to swap a stick in you could squeeze a few more out of it.

Tyler Frank

Rank 0

Contributor I

@Shpook , regarding your rear hatch tire/gas can mounts... did you make those yourself or is there aftermarket support for those? and how are they mounted? I'm assuming they are mounted directly to your rear hatch. It just looks badass and knowing how that spare tire is mounted underneath, I image you worry a lot less.

Also, if that is the case, did you put much more heavy duty rear hatch shocks on to support the weight? (and if so where did you get them?)

Just tossing this out there, but I wonder if moving the spare tire to the rear mount like that on a regular tahoe/yukon would allow you to swap in a big suburban or yukon xl gas tank.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Wow awesome build! How did you get the solar panel to stick to your hood like that?