2000 GMC Yukon XL

• HTML tutorial

Shpook

Rank 0

Traveler I

I built this truck mostly to take us down intermediate trails, to find the best campsite possible, to be comfortable while doing so, and not break the bank. There's usually 3 or 4 people when we go out, plus 4 dogs. I've been very happy with it, but it definitely has it's limitations. On to the mods.

Suspension/steering/tires:
3 inch overall lift, keys up front and spacers in the rear.
Z71 rear springs.
Bilstein 5100 shocks.
Rear sway bar delete(unless towing).
Tie rod reinforcement sleeves.
All components replaced with Moog and/or heavy duty.
2 inch wheel spacers.
285/75/16 Cooper STT Pros.

Drivetrain:
U-joints replaced with off the shelf Spicers.
Factory G80 rear differential.
Factory NP246 replaced with manual shift NP241.
Many, MANY CV axle replacements.

Electrical:
Auxiliary AGM battery mounted in center console.
260A alternator.
200W solar panel mounted on hood.
1000W inverter.
Battery relay to give the option of charging the aux battery from the engine or self jumping.
Bearcat 880 CB radio.
Interior and offroad lights, along with radio, can be toggled between main or aux battery.
Inverter and refrigerator run off aux battery.

Body/Misc
Smittybuilt GMT400 grill guard.
Vents cut into hood.
eBay snorkel.
Custom limb risers.
Front lower valance removed.
Custom built roof rack.
Spare mounted on rear door.
Dual auxiliary cooling fans mounted inside fan shroud.
1/8" steel front, front diff, and transfer case skid plates.

ToDo List:
Spohn rear adjustable control arms and track bar.
New wheels with proper offset to ditch the spacers.
Make a front winch mount/bumper.
Figure out what to do about front axle geometry. Either go to a 6" lift kit, drop my front diff 1" and use CV spacers, or do a SAS. I'm sick of replacing axles.
Get a full size spare.
Get off my butt and install the 4.30 gears. They make great door stops though.

I probably forgot a few things, I'll update if they come to me. I also don't have too many recent pictures of it, which I guess I'll have to work on.

H3Coyote

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

MidWest, U.S., by Chicago.
Member #

That's a cool Chevy build..!
Rockford Constant Velocity makes some great replacement CV's, I'm sure you're familiar with them, you've obviously been doing your homework, that's a great build, and I like that you replaced the 246 with the 241, I'm pulling mine out of the GMC for the H3 build, it's a pretty solid T.C...

Sent from my SM-J320R4 using OB Talk mobile app

Shpook

Rank 0

Traveler I

Thanks! I definitely plan on getting upgraded axles, but I'd like to get my CV angles correct before I do. And yeah, I burned up the 246 pretty quick. The 241 has been rock solid though.

Reactions: H3Coyote

Mack

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lodi, Ca
Member #

I like what you have done. I am just starting a build on a 2 door Yukon, 94 model. I am glad to see that others have used same type of vehicle. I have installed new summit 350, rebuilt trans with shift kit and all items under the hood, i.e. Radiator back, all hoses, belts, ac ets... I was making a driver until my son introduced me to this. Now the fun begins. Enjoyed your overview, gave me a lot of good ideas, thanks!, Mack

Reactions: Shpook and H3Coyote

Old Griz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Idaho
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Clisham
Member #

I wonder how difficult it would be to swap in the front differential and axles from a k2500?
My 2001 k2500 8.1L 4L80E has well over 200,000 miles and the only real problems I have had is the shift motor on the NP246. Living in the Rockies has put it in several situations that should have snapped axles, but they are still good.

Shpook

Rank 0

Traveler I

I like what you have done. I am just starting a build on a 2 door Yukon, 94 model. I am glad to see that others have used same type of vehicle. I have installed new summit 350, rebuilt trans with shift kit and all items under the hood, i.e. Radiator back, all hoses, belts, ac ets... I was making a driver until my son introduced me to this. Now the fun begins. Enjoyed your overview, gave me a lot of good ideas, thanks!, Mack
Thanks, sounds like an awesome build you have going. I love the older Chevy's. Enjoy!

Shpook

Rank 0

Traveler I

Shpook

Rank 0

Traveler I

I wonder how difficult it would be to swap in the front differential and axles from a k2500?
My 2001 k2500 8.1L 4L80E has well over 200,000 miles and the only real problems I have had is the shift motor on the NP246. Living in the Rockies has put it in several situations that should have snapped axles, but they are still good.
I did some research on it a while ago, and it seems they're completely different housing with different mounting locations, so probably not worth it. The reason I tear through axles is because of my lift putting the CVs at a sharp angle and pulling the rollers towards the very end of the cup, which is the weakest point. Right now I just deal with it, since axles are cheap and take an hour to swap out both, but I'd like to figure it out.

I also had the shift motor, and then the TCCM, fail for my 246. Then the clutches failed, and couldn't think of a reason why it would be better to rebuild than to switch to a manual 241.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

It's just an eBay special, no specific name for the manufacturer. It's actually for a Toyota 80 series LC, but works well on Chevy trucks, just need to trim some sheet metal. Well, lots of sheet metal.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Snorkel-Air-Ram-Intake-Kit-For-90-97-Toyota-80-Series-Land-Cruiser-Lexus-LX450/400399006421?epid=1791189143&hash=item5d39a3fad5:g:-HUAAOSwBahVeNGv&vxp=mtr
I'm looking for something like that I can mod for my GMC van. It'll be converted to 4x4 soon. Though most say can't be done, I'm going to try, mostly to catch air higher in the desert and on back roads instead of sucking it in the front end, though it will be handy for the occasional water crossing, too.

Have you noticed any airflow restriction, or your engine feeling like it wants more, with the way you rigged it on yours?

Very cool to see another GM product on here, @Shpook. I'm coming down your way at some point to wander 'round and would love to see your Yukon in person.

edit: Dang - I just looked it up and 4door Yukon's have a 116" wheelbase? Are they considered full-sized?

My van is extended body and 155" wheelbase, which will limit me more than typical full-size vehicles on some trails.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shpook

Shpook

Rank 0

Traveler I

I'm looking for something like that I can mod for my GMC van. It'll be converted to 4x4 soon. Though most say can't be done, I'm going to try, mostly to catch air higher in the desert and on back roads instead of sucking it in the front end, though it will be handy for the occasional water crossing, too.

Have you noticed any airflow restriction, or your engine feeling like it wants more, with the way you rigged it on yours?

Very cool to see another full-size on here, @Shpook, and a GM product at that. I'm coming down your way at some point to wander 'round and would love to see your Yukon in person.
Anything can be converted to 4x4 if you try hard enough. :) It definitely restricts flow at higher RPMs. I haven't noticed any difference in power for normal driving, but you can feel it fall flat after 5k RPM or so after the snorkel was installed. I'm not too concerned, I rarely get her wound up like that.

I'd say just browse ebay for snorkels, you're bound to come across one that will work.

Hit me up when you're around this way!

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Anything can be converted to 4x4 if you try hard enough. :) It definitely restricts flow at higher RPMs. I haven't noticed any difference in power for normal driving, but you can feel it fall flat after 5k RPM or so after the snorkel was installed. I'm not too concerned, I rarely get her wound up like that.

I'd say just browse ebay for snorkels, you're bound to come across one that will work.

Hit me up when you're around this way!
Will do, and thanks for the reply. I was editing mine as you posted.

Said: Dang - I just looked it up and 4door Yukon's have a 116" wheelbase? Are they considered full-sized?
My van is extended body and 155" wheelbase, which will limit me more than typical full-size vehicles on some trails.

Yeah, Clydesdale (Sportsman4x4.ca) in BC has been doing a lot of Chevy/GMC conversions for forest and ambulance services, local business, and long-distance wanderers like me. A lot of other places either won't do GM or won't do older ones.

Reactions: H3Coyote

Shpook

Rank 0

Traveler I

Will do, and thanks for the reply. I was editing mine as you posted.

Said: Dang - I just looked it up and 4door Yukon's have a 116" wheelbase? Are they considered full-sized?

Yeah, Clydesdale (Sportsman4x4.ca) in BC has been doing a lot of Chevy/GMC conversions for forest and ambulance services, local business, and long-distance wanderers like me. A lot of other places either won't do GM or won't do older ones.
130" wheelbase, 220" total length for the Yukon XL/Suburban. The regular Yukon is the same as the Tahoe. Not as big as a van, but still pretty big when squeezing down trails.

I have a soft spot for 4x4 vans. There's a guy around here with a 4x4 Chevy. I've been wanting to talk to him about it, but every time I see him, he's going the other way.

Reactions: Road and H3Coyote

H3Coyote

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

MidWest, U.S., by Chicago.
Member #

Road, same here..! If you get out around here, shoot me a message and stop by. And your idea of the 4x4 conversion, totally a great idea. We had a 4x4 van back in the 70s when I was young... Just a thought here, but there a few frame shortening videos on YouTube for pickups. It could be easy to do a rolling frame build, and roll it under your van body if a lift were availible for you to use. Most full size, xtra cab trucks are between, I THINK, 112 and 147 inches, If I had a lift here, I'd already be doing it for you on the 4x4 GMC in the driveway...
Seriously, I'd just go out and cutting the body off the truck... I think it's great idea..!

Sent from my SM-T377R4 using OB Talk mobile app

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

130" wheelbase, 220" total length for the Yukon XL/Suburban. The regular Yukon is the same as the Tahoe. Not as big as a van, but still pretty big when squeezing down trails.

I have a soft spot for 4x4 vans. There's a guy around here with a 4x4 Chevy. I've been wanting to talk to him about it, but every time I see him, he's going the other way.
Ohh, 130" on the XL...that's a lot closer to my 155" than 116. Yeah, I like 4x4 vans, too, always have, and now have a chance to do my current one, so am going to do it!

I'm not at all interested in doing super-technical rock-climbing type trails just for the sake of doing them, or going out to see how much of a predicament I can get into, beating the hell out of my rig in the process, but do want to get up trails I haven't been able to with my current set up, both in desert and mountains. I'd also like to be able to do more cold-weather camping in places I couldn't before. I'm hoping to do a cross-Canada trip from Maine to the Maritimes then all the way across to the Yukon and Alaska.

Be fun to get three or four full-sized vehicles and do a two-three day run together somewhere.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Road, same here..! If you get out around here, shoot me a message and stop by. And your idea of the 4x4 conversion, totally a great idea. We had a 4x4 van back in the 70s when I was young... Just a thought here, but there a few frame shortening videos on YouTube for pickups. It could be easy to do a rolling frame build, and roll it under your van body if a lift were availible for you to use. Most full size, xtra cab trucks are between, I THINK, 112 and 147 inches, If I had a lift here, I'd already be doing it for you on the 4x4 GMC in the driveway...
Seriously, I'd just go out and cutting the body off the truck... I think it's great idea..!

Sent from my SM-T377R4 using OB Talk mobile app
@H3Coyote - where in the Midwest are you? It's a big area and to some Midwest includes states that others say it doesn't. If you'd rather not say publicly, DM me, and sure, I'll let you know when I'm around that part of the country.

Yeah, I've had vans going all the way back to the early 70's, though none were 4wheel drive. I have no interest, though, in shortening my frame or body. I had an extended body Ford van on a regular Ford van frame (they don't do a longer wheelbase for extended body, just use the same frame) and the ass end sticks out so far it would make your departure angle a headache. That's one big reason I wouldn't want to shorten the frame on mine. If I wanted a shorter framed or shorter bodied van, I'd get one that came that way, not cut mine up. Have nowhere to do it, anyway.

I like the way the frame supports my extended body van, love the way it drives now, trail or highway. As I wrote in the post above to Shpook, I don't want 4x4 so I can do radical trails or rock-climbing. Though my van is high clearance now and can go a lot of places most rear wheel drive vehicles can't, I want to be able to get around better in all seasons and to more places than I can now.

But, this is Shpook's thread about his rig, not about mine. I'll start a thread about mine sometime here soon.

Let me know where in the country you are, and we'll get together when I'm out that way.

Last edited: