Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
That's a 7.3? Wow, looks like a 6.0 with a engine swap. Manual or Automatic? How many miles? Another idea that you could think about - sell the truck outright and get more money for it. Buy a small flatbed trailer to pull behind the Jeep when you have items that you would normally need the truck to haul.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

With Ford stock dropping and profits expected to plumitted due to the recent recalls I'm not surprised. They don't want risk being stuck with it.

Utilityman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque NM
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Raether
Member #

With Ford stock dropping and profits expected to plumitted due to the recent recalls I'm not surprised. They don't want risk being stuck with it.
Im not sure that will affect the prices of the 7.3L. They are pretty stout and worth 10-15k any day of the week.
The 7.3 is in a class of it's own. Its called Bad ass! LOL

OPs truck is built with Icons and ready for the trail! I still vote let the Jeep go and drive the Ford

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Im not sure that will affect the prices of the 7.3L. They are pretty stout and worth 10-15k any day of the week.
The 7.3 is in a class of it's own. Its called Bad ass! LOL

OPs truck is built with Icons and ready for the trail! I still vote let the Jeep go and drive the Ford
I worked at a dealership for a while and in my experience, when a recall for a major issue was released, it didn't matter which vehicle was recalled, all models saw drops in sales. And since Ford has vehicles catching on fire, that seems pretty major.

Reactions: bajatacoguy

Utilityman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque NM
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Raether
Member #

You are right concerning the newer models but that wont change prices of the near 17 year old 7.3's. Just like when Toyota had the brake pedal/mat issues. It didn't effect the sales of 4runners, Tacomas, FJ's.

Edit: Dealers use this as ammo to take advantage of people.
The 7.3 market is stable.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

You are right concerning the newer models but that wont change prices of the near 17 year old 7.3's. Just like when Toyota had the brake pedal/mat issues. It didn't effect the sales of 4runners, Tacomas, FJ's.

The 7.3 market is stable.
You're assuming all buyers know what they are buying. The market for the 7.3 will remain stable a a seller making a private sale. A buyer looking for a specific vehicle knows more about it, usually. It may take a little more time to make that sale as there will be some loss in consumers looking for Ford's but should still get full price in a private sale. Dealers can't afford the extra time. Cars cost a lot to keep on the lot. So a dealer is a little more weary of giving a good trade value. The bulk of folks who come onto the lot are looking around not looking for something very specific and often all they know is that they heard a news story about Fords spontaneously combust in while driving down the road. My point wasn't that he can't get a fair price. My point was that dealers aren't going to want that vehicle cause it's risky for them based on the average person who walks on the lot.

Utilityman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque NM
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Raether
Member #

You're assuming all buyers know what they are buying. The market for the 7.3 will remain stable a a seller making a private sale. A buyer looking for a specific vehicle knows more about it, usually. It may take a little more time to make that sale as there will be some loss in consumers looking for Ford's but should still get full price in a private sale. Dealers can't afford the extra time. Cars cost a lot to keep on the lot. So a dealer is a little more weary of giving a good trade value. The bulk of folks who come onto the lot are looking around not looking for something very specific and often all they know is that they heard a news story about Fords spontaneously combust in while driving down the road. My point wasn't that he can't get a fair price. My point was that dealers aren't going to want that vehicle cause it's risky for them based on the average person who walks on the lot.
I'm not assuming anything. Diesel drivers know what they are looking for and specifically look for what they know is reliable.

I agree with you and am sticking with everyone who is interested in a 7.3 including dealers know that the 7.3 market is stable. The only known issue those trucks have is the transmission.
That dealer is going to put the truck on the lot for $14k and end up selling for about $12k. The used market is a market that all dealers are well versed in and really take advantage of people.

Reactions: 15frontier

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I'm going to agree to disagree, not sure we are really debating the same thing. lol. I don't disagree that he can get full price from a private sale. A dealer has to make money, they aren't ever going to give you full price unless they are trying to make their Mfg Incentive Quota (meaning you are trading in for a brand new car). And if there is any chance that a vehicle may be on the lot for a single day longer than it otherwise would have do to any tiny little piece of news, they will bock. I will say this. I can assure you that not all people who drive a diesel have any really knowledge of diesels. I can't speak for NM but here in TX, diesels are trendy. A lot of people buy them to prove they are a Texan. I have met quite a few people who couldn't tell you the difference between a diesel and a gasser other than the pump handle they use to fill their truck with is green.

Reactions: Graeman

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Ya private sale would be the way to go for the truck. I to worked at a dealer..I was a tech though. But even then I realize the dealer needs to make money but thought they would offer me 10k at the least.

I've decided to keep both for now as I was in panic mode there foe a second lol.

Teh_Viking

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ventura Ca
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Roosendahl
Member #

Dude! I had to do a double take Haha. She is clean. Got a build thread ? What are the details?
I don't have a build thread yet, I've been trying to find my older pics of the truck so i can put one together, hopefully soon [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: stoney126

Jasonb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgetown, California, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Bath
Member #

That's a 7.3? Wow, looks like a 6.0 with a engine swap. Manual or Automatic? How many miles? Another idea that you could think about - sell the truck outright and get more money for it. Buy a small flatbed trailer to pull behind the Jeep when you have items that you would normally need the truck to haul.
That's the unicorn ford. Early 03 fords came with the 7.3. Half way through the year, epa rule changes made the 7.3 noncompliant so they rushed the 6.0 in. The 03 6.0 is the generation that killed the rep for 6.0 s lol 2004 upgraded alot of the engines internals.

Sent from my SM-N920V using OB Talk mobile app

Jasonb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgetown, California, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Bath
Member #

Contrary to everyone else I say keep the Jeep, sell the truck and use the cash of buy a decent trailer for those times you need to move things...use the rest of the cash to build the Jeep into something awesome

Sent from my STH100-1 using OB Talk mobile app
That is not a bad way to go! In my opinion that is lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using OB Talk mobile app

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
I was in a similar boat a few years back. I had a 2 door jeep and a Chev Silverado. I loved that truck and was hesitant to lose it.

But, after much thought, I traded the 2 door jeep AND the truck for a 4 door jeep, figuring that as another poster said I could always get a trailer.

In real life I've only ever needed to rent a trailer, probably have a total of $150 in rental fees since 2013. The Jeep on the other hand has had plenty of Overlanding miles on it and is still going strong. I've never really missed the truck because it's utility could be replaced so easily by having a trailer rental place.

No one's situation is the same but if you are looking at utility, trailers can go a long way!

Sent from my BBA100-1 using Tapatalk

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Ya if it really gets down to the nitty gritty I have options for sure. I think I went into panic mode but was reassured by the better half it was not needed.

Lots of great advice, thanks all

Darthbaggins

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Acworth, GA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Cromartie
Member #

If you have to sell off both vehicles I say go with a Tacoma, rock solid truck and great on and off road. I love my 3rd Gen 4Runner. But really your Ford SD is a beast of a truck too.

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: stoney126