Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

hey all , I come seeking advise or another perspective I might not be seeing. I currently own a 03 7.3 superduty 4x4 and a 14 rubicon jku which Im still making payments on but not underwater on at all . Some changes are coming up where I may need to look at going down to one vehicle or maybe not as im unsure right now what path to take. Essentially Id be looking at a tacoma or frontier as I can get both a pickup option and 4x4 with a locker and still be kind of slim for trails and pretty much have no payment. I love my truck but honestly do not need it and dont see needing it in the near future. The rubicon is great but I do need a pickup bed for random projects here and there and the Jeep is pretty much a specific type of vehicle .

Anyone else wrestled with these choices before?

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

If you can afford the Tacoma (and you are sure you cant keep your current truck) then that is what I would go with. Personal preference. The Frontier is nice but I just like the Tacoma better. If you can keep your super duty then I would say do it. You could do a lot to it with what you get for the Jeep (assuming you do better than break even). But I understand wanting to fit on tight trails.

Reactions: stoney126

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

I dont need to get rid of either of them at the moment. Im just trying to plan ahead and have a game plan ready if needed. Id hate to get rid of MY superduty but due to its size it does limit where I can take it and my needs for a 3/4 ton diesel are not as needed as they once were and my fun money budget is going to be slimmed down a bit lol.
With the sale of both I should be able to purchase either pickup ouright or have a significantly smaller payment.

Of course I always prepare for the worst so maybe none of this will be needed haha

Teh_Viking

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ventura Ca
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Roosendahl
Member #

A 03 7.3 they didn't make too many of those, Since I own a SuperDuty you already know which vehicle I would get rid of. I used to have a YJ and got rid of that and focused on making the truck more travel friendly.
Its a great truck and yeah it might not fit everywhere but for me it has tons of storage where you dont need a bunch of stuff hanging off the back or on the roof. It gets the same mileage on 35/37's as a stock tacoma does pretty much. If you get some nice progressive leafs the ride isn't all that bad. Axle are plenty strong especially if you got lucky and got the true dana 60 in 03 and you already own it. The list could go on.

Reactions: SlowGo

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

As someone that currently owns a Tacoma and owned an Xterra for 8 years I say go Toyota. My Xterra was messed up day one. There are plenty of guys on here with nissans that will say the opposite of me. Toyotas have their faults as well. To me the Tacoma just feels more robust although its definitely got less power.

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

So I believe I was grossly mistaken on what a tacoma would cost. Told the salesman to find me a bare bones offroad model and email me. Lol maybe I'll just sell some blood or pickup a side job or two haha

15frontier

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Easley, Sc
Member #

IMG_1912.JPG As a Nissan guy who plays with alot of toyotas i can assure you they are MORE than capable. On the flip side of that I love 4 runners and tacomas but i chose the frontier based an months of comparing / research. I personally know the 2012+ frontiers are super reliable IF well maintained. If i had to do all over again id still pick a frontier but tacoma would be second choice.

Let me throw a few more cents in... I know alot of guys going between frontier and tacoma also consider the new colorados and canyons... Stay away! I work for Chevy and can assure you they are NOTHING but problems...

Any Frontier questions let me know!

15frontier

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Easley, Sc
Member #

Mike g. The diesel colorado is already out. Have had a few issues out of them replaced a turbo last week on one with under 5,000 miles. Not nearly as bad as the 3.6 v6 they offer. The diesel colorado starts in the high 30's low 40's id walk before i spent that on a colorado.

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Mike g. The diesel colorado is already out. Have had a few issues out of them replaced a turbo last week on one with under 5,000 miles. Not nearly as bad as the 3.6 v6 they offer. The diesel colorado starts in the high 30's low 40's id walk before i spent that on a colorado.
Wow, did know that. I do like the look of the Colorado and I was thinking about maybe getting a diesel. I guess I'll have to wait for the new Bronco. They said it might even come in a four door so they can complete against the Jeep wrangler.

Sent from my MotoG3 using OB Talk mobile app

15frontier

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Easley, Sc
Member #

Wow, did know that. I do like the look of the Colorado and I was thinking about maybe getting a diesel. I guess I'll have to wait for the new Bronco. They said it might even come in a four door so they can complete against the Jeep wrangler.

Sent from my MotoG3 using OB Talk mobile app
I had a 2013 Silverado Crew cab i fully intended to trade in on a diesel colorado... drove the first one our dealer got and wasnt impressed... so i sold the Silverado and bought my frontier. Best move ive ever made... dont get me wrong i miss that v8 power and huge interior space but i dont miss the hulk of a truck... Chevrolet is going downhill. Those commercials about "initial quality" awards... refer ONLY to the first 90 days haha. I hate bad mouthing Chevy as ive owned several but i wont ever again.

BUT THAT NEW BRONCO.... I hope its true. Except it would have to be 4 door or i would have to find a new place to live hahaha.

Utilityman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque NM
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Raether
Member #

I'm a Toyota guy, I've driven Toyotas for the last 17 years and wont ever drive anything else. That being said...

Keep the ford and set it up as your overland rig, that truck will have all the room you need for all the overland trail essentials with room to spare. Plus u have amazing fuel range. Unless of course you truly do need a smaller rig then I recommend the Tacoma. Tacomas are reliable and easy to maintain. But they are spendy. 1st gen 4 doors sell for close to 10k and 2nd gens with decently low miles (80,000) near 20k.
Toyota 4x4's hold their value because they are likely the most reliable.

If it were me I'd sell the Jeep and keep the Ford. My brother sold his Tacoma and has a 7.3 and to be honest I am envious of the amount of space he has. Plus he can mount the biggest RTT to sleep his family and my family is stuck on the ground. No biggie we don't mind.

My dads say "run whatcha brung". As long as we are out there is all that matters!

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Yikes they offered 7900 for my superduty and 32k for the jeep . Price would vary depending on mods.
After with speaking with my better half she assured me there was no reason to get rid of either.

Geez 7900 bucks they can kiss my rosey buttcheeks

Reactions: Mike G

Teh_Viking

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ventura Ca
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Roosendahl
Member #

Yeah thats super low unless you had a regular cab 2wd with 300k on it haha, is yours a crew cab? Sounds like you made a decision as well, either way enjoy both.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

15frontier

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Easley, Sc
Member #

That is a beautiful truck! They offered 7,900 ill gladly bring you $10,000 in whatever paper form you prefer... 5's 10's 20's 50's or 100's you pick and tell me a location i can come Monday. Regardless of miles.

Reactions: Preston Tiegs

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

That is a beautiful truck! They offered 7,900 ill gladly bring you $10,000 in whatever paper form you prefer... 5's 10's 20's 50's or 100's you pick and tell me a location i can come Monday. Regardless of miles.
Right? I couldn't believe it.