1st overland trail

• HTML tutorial

MBroenkow

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sonoma County, CA
Member #

Memorial Day in MNF is one of the few times when campsites will be full, especially at Letts Lake. There's a lot more room up at Lake Pilsbury where there are several developed campgrounds; Navy, Oak Flat, Sunset Point, Pine Point, and Page Point. Other great places to the north are; Plaskett Meadows, Board Tree, and Wells Cabin, but there are many more.

As mentioned earlier, MNF is absolutely huge, and the only national forest without a paved road going through it. The only real limitations for 'overlanding' is that you must stay on roads that are open (no free-wheeling through the vegetation) and you can't go on the OHV single tracks (it will be obvious that these are not roads). That said, having a forestry map is always advisable ( $14. http://www.nationalforestmapstore.com/product-p/ca-9.htm). And even though you must stay on roads, you'll discover that they come in a variety of conditions- although most of them are pretty easy. The smaller roads will be rougher and more narrow than the main ones.

Reactions: WheelMe

kaikandojo

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

5556 Masonic Ave, Oakland, CA 94618
First Name
Jarret
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Right now it looks like I'll head to MNF on Saturday afternoon and head back on Monday. I was thinking of entering MNF by Lake Pilsbury and driving north on M1 to Howard Lake or Hammerhorn Lake for the first night. Then drive down Alder Springs Road (7?) to Plaskett Meadows for the second night. There are lots of forest roads that shoot off of M1 and Alder Springs Road that look fun to explore during the daytime.

MBroenkow

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sonoma County, CA
Member #

Sounds adventurous! Keep in mind Howard Lake is pretty far from Pilsbury, all the way up and over Hull Mountain and along the ridge to Black Butte by Covelo. This is a great drive if you've never done it before. I'm almost certain though that M1/24N2 (or Indian Dick Road) is still closed at Black Butte due to a huge landslide from a few years back. Another route that would get you around the slide is going up FH-7 (or Mendocino Pass Road) from Black Butte and turn North on the M4. This will take you over Anthony Peak and to the M2. Turn North on M21 and that will take you down the hill to Hammerhorn from the opposite direction that M1/Indian Dick road and would have.

Howard Lake is also nothing like Pilsbury or Letts. Its almost completely covered with Lilly pads, but I hear them's good fishing. Lake Hammerhorn is similar to Howard but the campgrounds there are under a thick canopy of trees and very dark.

Plaskett Meadows is south of the FH-7/M4 intersection. From there you could pop out the east side of the forest on Hwy 162 and cruise all the way down Bear Valley Road to Hwy 20 where you can either go left to get out to I-5 ,or right to go to Clear Lake...

I bet you'll have both of these places all to yourself, even on Memorial Day weekend. I hope you have a great time and take some pictures to share with us!

Last edited: