Rank III

Enthusiast III

Northern Michigan
First Name
Dustan
Last Name
Tompkins
Member #

This is the first time doing a build for something like this. I've never just drove around looking for adventure in a 4x4 i've flown. I have family in colorado and love going out there. I always has a rental car and wanted to get further out into the hills. For months I looked for something I could buy for around 6k and wanted the 4runner but they are just to expensive and way to many miles for the asking price for me to jump into. I found a 2003 Nissan Xterra with 120k from out west for $3500. The guy said the transfer case was bad so I drove it around and found it to be the rear axle had been switched out. They took the 4.9 gears and put the 4.6 so in 4 the back would try and run the fronts over. Found an axle at a local yard and swapted the axle shafts and carrier leaving the housing in place. A bunch of little things needed replacement like rubber hoses and door switches. It runs good and drives well for an older truck but then again the entire front end was replaced including the idler arm, centrelink, ball joints, tie rods, front sway bar links and all the fluids I could find. I wanted to run a mild lift just to run some skinny 33's so I had to get a body lift which I never liked but was needed. I knew I was adding a bunch of weight so I added nisstech torsion bars(NOT FUN) and add a leaf. So with a mild 1.5 inch lift and 2 inch body lift there is room for the Toyo Open Country AT3 in 285/75R16. The back bumper I made from scratch(not doing again) and the front is from coastaloffroad and highly recommend. The kit was easy to weld up and looks good. At this point I'm waiting for some extra cash for the winch, RTT, fridge and making my own drawer system. I have a bunch of things to go over for a trip out west in boxes that need sorting. I just got in the HOTTAP V2 nomad and its great for dishes and showers. I have coleman cooktop, jetboil, pans and dishes 2 jerry cans, traction boards, 7 gallon fresh water container, small med kit (upgrade needed) the diesel heater just in case and 2 huskey water tight boxes full of stuff I need to sort. I've read for months on the basics and try not to get things I don't need. I plan on leaving around may so have a few months to iron things out I hope. I have a 65 watt solar panel and want to get s solar generator instead of the extra battery and inverter. I hope this little monster will last a while to explore the midwest and beyond and work my way up to the arctic ocean someday.

List to get.

Large med pack
Winch
Tent
Fridge
Lots of gas money!IMG_0446.jpgIMG_0521.jpgIMG_0522.jpgIMG_0373.jpgIMG_0545.jpgIMG_0549.jpgIMG_0561.jpgIMG_0562.jpgIMG_0563.jpgIMG_0566.jpgIMG_0573.jpgIMG_0575.jpgIMG_0576.jpgIMG_0589.jpgIMG_0593.jpgIMG_0592 (1).jpgIMG_0532.jpg

Reactions: Neuvik

dustan

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Northern Michigan
First Name
Dustan
Last Name
Tompkins
Member #

Welded some brackets for the hi-lift and installed. That swing arm is getting heavy. Still trying to find a place for the gas cans.media.jpgmedia.jpg

My winch came in today, Got it installed and painted the grill and headlight covers to match the hood and bumper to. Had to cut a little bit off the center mount of the grill to clear the box but it fits like a glove. I like how everything is close to the grill to keep the angles high. IMG_0602.jpg
IMG_0603.jpg
IMG_0604.jpg
IMG_0605.jpg

Last edited:

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
Liking it so far!
Damn! I want a swing out rear tire carrier for my truck! I wonder if something can be fabed on my stock bumper.

dustan

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Northern Michigan
First Name
Dustan
Last Name
Tompkins
Member #

Stock bumpers are not very strong, you would need to fab up a mount to bolt to the frame and come through the stock bumper to attach the arm too. its just better to get a new bumper.

Reactions: GLOCKer

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Liking it so far!
Damn! I want a swing out rear tire carrier for my truck! I wonder if something can be fabed on my stock bumper.
Do what I did. Grab yourself a hardcore offroad diy kit, and add your own carrier to it.

Reactions: GLOCKer

dustan

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Northern Michigan
First Name
Dustan
Last Name
Tompkins
Member #

So been messing with the leaf springs and front torsion bars and think I have it done except for the adjustable shackles. Did some flexing to see if I needed to cut, grind or bend for tire clearance and all seemed good.

Attachments

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Looking good man! Curious how you're liking the coastal front bumper? Did you need to upgrade the torsion bars for it?

Im in the process of redesigning my swingout to move the tire closer to the body, and accommodate dual jerries. Based on my measurements, I think itlll fit.

dustan

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Northern Michigan
First Name
Dustan
Last Name
Tompkins
Member #

Looking good man! Curious how you're liking the coastal front bumper? Did you need to upgrade the torsion bars for it?

Im in the process of redesigning my swingout to move the tire closer to the body, and accommodate dual jerries. Based on my measurements, I think itlll fit.
Love the bumper and was easy to weld up. I upgraded the torsion bars from nisstec. Biggest problem for the rear swing arm is you really need to push the hing to the outermost point if your doing single swing. If I did it again I’d do duel swings. I can’t put cans on mine as the lift gate compared to the hing point does not allow it.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Gotcha. I'm undecided as to whether I'm going full steel bumper, or just having a custom winch plate built.

As far as the swing out goes... My design is similar to yours. Big spindle pin on a protrusion from the bumper. That spindle and the bearings can handle a decent amount of weight, but I understand the hesitation.

dustan

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Northern Michigan
First Name
Dustan
Last Name
Tompkins
Member #

After trail testing it today and running over logs and up atv trails I’ll always do this style of bumper.
I had it twisted like a pretzel and it did awesome with open diffs and very little suspension lift.
I was testing it today to make sure it was ready for our first trip to Colorado.DFE24CAF-EF21-45CF-BD47-AF198C25E0D2.jpeg