1999 WJ Grand Cherokee Adventure Rig

• HTML tutorial

Advocate II

Here is the base for my overland adventure rig. It is a 1999 WJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L with a NP242 transfer case and 245/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tires. It currently has a Wilderness Roof Rack with a pair of spot beam KC Daylighters on the front and a pair of cheap Walmart 55w fogs in the back. It also currently has our Allen 4 bike hitch rack on the back as well..
IMG_0013.JPG
IMG_0014.JPG IMG_0015.JPG IMG_0016.JPG

Some upcoming projects for it:
Full fluid change (everything except coolant)
coating the undercarriage and inside base of the doors with POR15
stripping and coating the rack in POR15 then repainting it
lowering roof rack on re-installation to sit directly on the factory rails
cleaning up all small rust spots, priming and repainting them
cleaning up headlights
re-sealing the windshield and sunroof to prevent leaks

I do have a basic plan for the build but this will come slowly as we manage to come up with the funds.

Last edited:

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Welcome! I am a former WJ owner, they are fun to build and a very capable rig! Keep us up to date as you go along, we are always interested in new builds, Ideas or projects. Pics are always a plus too!

Advocate II

Ok guys need some help in my planning. Trying to decide on a front bumper. Do I go with an ARB, or something like the HK Offroad bumper? I like the full front end protection of the ARB but really like the low profile almost factory look of the HK. Any other option please feel free to throw them out.

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

One thing to also keep in mind with the ARB is it is thoroughly tested for safety and if I remember correct even keeps your factory air bag sensors working correctly were as some of the others will reduce the sensitivity of the sensors and cause your air bags not to deploy when they are supposed to.

Advocate II

Not sure if the air bag thing is true or not but I think the ARB is what we are going to end up with. It mounts solidly and is a good winch platform for recovery and will provide protection from close encounters of the deer kind. Now I just have to find the best price on one.

Advocate II

I like it alot. Just picked up all the fluids to do a full replacement. Only problem I'm having now is deciding between the OME HD lift with 32's or weight wise if I'll have to go with a 4" LA. For you guys with the 2 1/2" lifts do you think these lifts like the the OME HD can handle the weight of a rear bumper w/ tire carrier?

Last edited:

HangryMachinist

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hollister
Member #

Not sure if the air bag thing is true or not but I think the ARB is what we are going to end up with. It mounts solidly and is a good winch platform for recovery and will provide protection from close encounters of the deer kind. Now I just have to find the best price on one.
I was told that all aftermarket bumpers will still utilize your airbag. Something about its location. I too like the ARB but will choose to fab my own. Make sure you take pics after install of the ARB.

Advocate II

FedEx dropped off a couple ARB boxes today. Got my 2000X2500 Awning and Room with floor. Now I just need to get my rack extension done and get it mounted. I am thinking while doing my extension I can weld some 1/8" plate to the outside of the rack to serve as a mounting point for my awning.

Reactions: WJ - Firefly

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I am still debating on which ARB awning I want to go with, can't make up my mind!!!