1999 Jeep XJ

• HTML tutorial

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Liking what ur doing with your XJ, I really like mine, so much fun to making it my own creation of what I want it to be. The only thing I'm struggling with is it's a 5 speed and I'm getting old to where my left leg is straining too much. Might be time to buy an XJ with an automatic and start all over?

Chapman87

Rank 0

Traveler I

Liking what ur doing with your XJ, I really like mine, so much fun to making it my own creation of what I want it to be. The only thing I'm struggling with is it's a 5 speed and I'm getting old to where my left leg is straining too much. Might be time to buy an XJ with an automatic and start all over?
I'd love a 5 speed... lets talk ;)

Chapman87

Rank 0

Traveler I

Crown HD Springs and Coils installed. They barely made a difference in ride height which I was definitely surprised by. The ride is much much better, especially with Bilstien shocks. I ordered 2" shackles that will be installed tonight and hopefully that will level it out.

BEFORE

AFTER

Note... rear tires are smaller, dont know why the PO did that but I have tires on order.

Reactions: Prerunner1982

BlueRidge150

Rank I

Contributor III

Greer, SC
Crown HD Springs and Coils installed. They barely made a difference in ride height which I was definitely surprised by. The ride is much much better, especially with Bilstien shocks. I ordered 2" shackles that will be installed tonight and hopefully that will level it out.

BEFORE

AFTER

Note... rear tires are smaller, dont know why the PO did that but I have tires on order.

I had good results with the heavy duty crown

Attachments

Chapman87

Rank 0

Traveler I

I had good results with the heavy duty crown
I am hoping I do as well, however, I am a little upset that they have multiple springs labeled as "Heavy Duty". So the ones currently installed on my Jeep have a arch of 5 1/2" and 405 lb rating. Their other HD springs are 7" and 700lb. I would have definitely bought the heavier ones! And I still might.

Either way, heres how it sits after the 2" shackle lift

Still has a 235/75 front tire and a 225/75 rear. Today, 235/75 Grabber AT/X tires are being installed so we'll see how it sits after that.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
If you are looking for parts, check out deadjeeps.com. They are east coast and seem OK to deal with.

Reactions: Chapman87

BlueRidge150

Rank I

Contributor III

Greer, SC
I am hoping I do as well, however, I am a little upset that they have multiple springs labeled as "Heavy Duty". So the ones currently installed on my Jeep have a arch of 5 1/2" and 405 lb rating.

Well apparently we frequent the same forums and I just saw your post on the Cherokee forum too. That place is a wealth of knowledge

Reactions: Chapman87

mmp

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lugoff, SC, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Powell
Member #

Nice. I have a 96 Cherokee which was already lifted when I bought it. Wish I had gotten something more stock as I have to fix things that the previous owner did. Following along to see what you do with it.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
As mentioned in the Cherokee forum I've had good luck with the Crowns and MOOG coils on 3 Jeeps now. I got the 750 in/lb or whatever they were heavy springs and they've performed well for me. Nice drawer setup in the back.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
They're the rate the UpCountry spec called for from the factory. It'll get you 1 to 2 inches seems to vary Jeep to Jeep. I got 1.5 inches over what's considered stock for a regular XJ when measuring from the center of the hub to the bottom of the fender flare. Front stock would be 17.5 and rear would be 17 inches. I used MOOG 782 coil springs which are also about what UpCountry spec called for some folks combine it with a half inch spacer. I didn't bother. The Crowns settled out after about a month of use and gave the Jeep a slight rear high (by about .5 inch) rake when unloaded which I'm ok with since when loaded it pretty much levels out.

Ride quality also started out a bit stiff and smoothed out over that same month of use. I went with Monroe OESpectrum shocks. I'm sure some higher end shocks like some OMEs or Bilstiens would result in a better overall ride. I daily drive my 95 and I find it plenty comfortable.

BlueRidge150

Rank I

Contributor III

Greer, SC
I did the same set up as @Downs mentioned. Same leaf springs, could, and shocks. I did go with the .75” (3/4”) spacer in the coils though.

The results are pictured above somewhere. I don’t think I even have 1000 miles yet on this set up because i have a company car, but so far so good.

Reactions: Downs

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I did the same set up as @Downs mentioned. Same leaf springs, could, and shocks. I did go with the .75” (3/4”) spacer in the coils though.

The results are pictured above somewhere. I don’t think I even have 1000 miles yet on this set up because i have a company car, but so far so good.
I put the above setup on almost exactly a year ago. My maintenance app shows I replaced them Oct 22 2018 and 17,890 miles ago. This picture was taken on Sept 26 so almost a month ago. So still looking good. 20190926_170750.jpg

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Awesome rig with TONS of potential. I have a couple WJs, but have always loved the XJs too. Love seeing all the neat XJs in this thread.

-TJ

Chapman87

Rank 0

Traveler I

Update...

Quadratec has been really great to work with. They agreed that their site was not descriptive enough so they are sending me new springs and return labels for the ones I have.

The springs they are sending are Crown 4886186AA. These have a higher Arch measurement and 755 lost capacity vs. 405 lb.

I have the RC adjustable shackles installed and a bumper with tire carrier in progress. These springs should level it out perfectly and not sag when it's camping time!

Reactions: Downs

Chapman87

Rank 0

Traveler I

Quadratec is awesome and swapped my springs for 4886186AA. Which I wanted him the beginning but their descriptions suck. Wasn't totally their fault because if you read close you can get the right ones. But they helped me out anyway!

here it is with the correct springs. Much better. (Still has 2" lift shackles)