1999 Jeep XJ

• HTML tutorial

Chapman87

Rank 0

Traveler I

Finally got a 4x4 again in the form of an XJ. I searched for months but couldn't find anything that wasn't rusted out. I want a rust free vehicle if I am going to be working on it myself! So yesterday I flew to Washington DC and drove this 750 miles home to Wisconsin. It needs some work but it made that trip look easy. Plans for now are to keep it a good daily with some overlandish flare.

Last edited:

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Finally got a 4x4 again in the form of an XJ. I searched for months but couldn't find anything that wasn't rusted out. I want a rust free vehicle if I am going to be working on it myself! So yesterday I flew to Washington DC and drove this 750 miles home to Wisconsin. It needs some work but it made that trip look easy. Plans for now are to keep it a good daily with some overlandish flare.
Looking forward to what you do with you’ XJ! Vance.

Chapman87

Rank 0

Traveler I

I will be doing a lot of boring updates and maintenance. This Jeep has a weird unknown history (auto-check starts at 64xxx miles) and so far ive found a couple weird things about it.

Immediate needs...
-Back hatch rattles pretty bad
-Seat belt latch receivers missing in the back (ordered on ebay)
-Air vent broken (Daystar vent/switch panel?)
-Some speakers not working
-Headlights
-RUST PROOF everything!
-Change all fluids

Near Future...
-Small (2-3" lift)(OME preffered)
-30 or 31" tires
-Undercoat inside / Fluid Film underside
-Good cell phone mount / potentially tablet mount

I already had this Yakima rack, if I can figure out lower profile towers I will keep this rack and get the extension. I do like the way the Smittybilt rack works though...

BlueRidge150

Rank I

Contributor III

Greer, SC
I’ve got the same rack set up as well. Long term id like to get something larger and lower profile too. But this set up will work for now, and get me in the woods.

Check out Cherokee forum and naxja forum if you have any issues or looking for parts. TONS of resources on those sites. Quite a few xj Facebook groups too, but a few are more trash talking than anything.

Chapman87

Rank 0

Traveler I

I’ve got the same rack set up as well. Long term id like to get something larger and lower profile too. But this set up will work for now, and get me in the woods.

Check out Cherokee forum and naxja forum if you have any issues or looking for parts. TONS of resources on those sites. Quite a few xj Facebook groups too, but a few are more trash talking than anything.
I'll checkout those sites, I'm old school and prefer forums. I'm in those Facebook pages and 90% of it is straight trash

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

Great potential!

Chapman87

Rank 0

Traveler I

No "build" progress but figuring out what I need to carry tool and gear wise. Also trying to learn the jeep and it's quirks.

The transmission is starting to have an issue. From a stop, normal throttle, it seems like it can't choose between 2nd and 3rd gear. It jumps back and forth. Hopefully I'll have that figured out soon.

I got some awesome stuff from Blue Ridge Overland... Highly recommend their stuff! Visor organizers, ARB flat repair kit and their tool roll (I'll show that later)

Also hopefully soon... Drawers! This lack of organization will drive me nuts