Launch Member

Contributor III

Scottsdale, AZ, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Uffindell
Member #

I purchased this vehicle in the spring of this year, and there is a lot of work to do.
I have already replaced the radiator and the wiper motor.
Windows and door locks need some help, transfer case won't shift out of High, horn doesn't work .....
Fender flares need help.
I will post pictures as I go, here is a picture of the Cruiser in Sedona.
FZJ80 in Sedona.jpg

Reactions: MAXIMVS

MAXIMVS

Rank II

Contributor III

Walla Walla, WA, USA
First Name
Max
Last Name
Fairchild
Member #

Service Branch
USMC & US Army N.G.
It looks like a great build so far. I removed the factory running boards and roof rack on mine first thing on my 96. Also that crappy rain gutter trim that goes over the rains gutters. On my 94 I put on the ARB bumper... you would be amazed how much that changes the front of the vehicle.

Attachments

Uffindell

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Scottsdale, AZ, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Uffindell
Member #

Nice.
I am ambivalent about the ARB bumper, I am also considering the Slee Short Buss bumper. My concern with the ARB bumper is that it sticks out so far, and overpowers the look of the front of the Cruiser. My concern with the Slee bumper is that it doesn’t have protection for the radiator.

MAXIMVS

Rank II

Contributor III

Walla Walla, WA, USA
First Name
Max
Last Name
Fairchild
Member #

Service Branch
USMC & US Army N.G.
There are a lot of bumpers on the market and anything is better than the stock one. The ARB Bull Bar (winch version) is probably the best bang for the buck. I live in Washington state and there are a lot of deer and elk that can take your rig out. Yes the ARB sticks out a little more, but you can also use that to navigate around things. Furthermore, you can get those bar extensions that attach to the top of the bull bar and then go down down to the sliders. Protection more than anything. For over twice the price of the ARB a company in Boise, ID called Delta makes this bull bar. Looks pretty snazzy, but pretty spendy too.

Attachments

Uffindell

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Scottsdale, AZ, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Uffindell
Member #

Thanks, I'll have to check that out. I am wondering, how often does a bullbar actually get 'used'? How often do Overlanders hit animals?

MAXIMVS

Rank II

Contributor III

Walla Walla, WA, USA
First Name
Max
Last Name
Fairchild
Member #

Service Branch
USMC & US Army N.G.
Thanks, I'll have to check that out. I am wondering, how often does a bullbar actually get 'used'? How often do Overlanders hit animals?
It depends on where you live. It depends on where you overland at. I grew up on the Washington state coast and there were deer and elk there. I live in Eastern Washington and there is mostly deer. However, if you are off road in the mountains or other places, you could run into deer, elk moose, buffalo, livestock, etc...

The factory bumper I would not even consider a real bumper. It’s just a piece of tin with plastic corner guards. If you do any kind of rick crawling, you will see why it needs to go, because it hangs in front of your wheel wells. It messes with your approach area. You also really don’t have anything to attach a proper winch setup to or run stuff like lights antennas and limb risers to.

If you live in an urban area and just take your rig out on the beaten path every once in a blue moon, I wouldn’t worry about it. If you actually go off road and up in the mountains or other places, I would recommend getting frontal protection. It might also save your ass if you hit something other than animals.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Has anybody experienced problems with their electric front seats (FJ80)?
Do you mean, getting dirt in the switch and having it stick or the fact that the knob sticks out and its easy to break off?
I love my 80. I have owned and built quite a number of off road vehicles and the 80 is something I wish I built sooner.

Reactions: Uffindell