Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I haven't seen any mention here of Fozroamer's build. Check him out, he has done some crazy stuff to his.
I'm not a subie guy but I do like a good unconventional build. Especially when done on a budget where you have to get creative.

Carry on!

Welcome to Overland Bound, Robert! As a former Subaru owner, I look forward to see what you do with yours. I lifted my 2008 Outback XT with 3/4" spacers, and went +1 tires with Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S, which worked great on and off road. Most of my other modification were comfort/convenience, as it is several hours or even days to any place interesting from here in northern Ohio. I also had a 2002 WRX Wagon, but it was modified for autocross, so even speed bumps were sometimes a challenge for it. :)

Here's the OBXT build thread: Steve's Cross-Country Subaru Outback
Thank you for the welcome.
It sounds like you have more experience with Subarus than I do...especially later model. I know far less about newer models. I know some about 2002-2005 WRXs but mostly because I plan to upgrade with parts from those.
I'm definitely going to be doing some of those comfort/convenience mods. I will probably be on pavement more than dirt with this.
If I buy second subaru it would probably be a 2002-2005 WRX wagon I've always like the "bug eye" style.
Thanks for the Link. I will check out your thread!

Reactions: Steve
With the AWD and the ground clearance you have, I wouldn't worry about more tire unless it becomes an issue. decent bumpers and possibly some under body armor will probably do more than good.
Yeah. Any more lift would be something way down the road. I was even fairly impressed with what this thing could drive over in stock form...so this much is great for now. I just need to get my snow tires mounted so I can get muddy soon...I haven't seen any snow in the hills here yet.
Once I get my brakes squared away I know a particularly steep and rocky road I need to do some testing on as well.

As far as protection...under armor is going to be my first priority. Primitive racing makes a nice light aluminum skid plate/engine protector for the 2nd gen Legacys and a diff plate as well.

From what I can see I will have to look into custom bumpers probably aluminum. I haven't seen anything produced for this model here in the U.S.

I'm also pondering the idea of frame reinforcements...although it's not something I've researched yet.

Awesome! Love to see more wagon folk joining the fold! I drive a lifted Volvo wagon myself. Look forward to following this build. It's funny how quick things go from mild to wild once you get inspired [emoji41]
I love Wagons! I don't know why more people don't...they are amazing for this sort of thing. Plus I have dogs. lol.
Yeah. I drove this poor thing for almost a year with an ailing head gasket...then in the course of about 4 months I've swapped out the motor and lifted etc. and done all of this work...it doesn't feel like it's moving along very quickly...but it really is...at least compared to my other projects.

I haven't seen any mention here of Fozroamer's build. Check him out, he has done some crazy stuff to his.
I'm not a subie guy but I do like a good unconventional build. Especially when done on a budget where you have to get creative.

Carry on!
Yeah! I just saw the walk around video on the OB youtube channel! That thing is awesome! I love his bumpers...but I don't think I would do steel...I don't have a Turbo...I'd have to crawl up passes on the highway.

I'm a little jealous of the Forester as far as it having a bit more aftermarket following...but I considered a 1st Gen Forester and decided against it because the rear area isn't as long as in the Legacy Wagon with the rear seats down...I wasn't planning an overland build when I bought it...but I was already thinking about car camping. lol

This model has a few advantages I've discovered through research. The motor isn't very powerful, but it is OBDII, and it's super easy to get to everything under the hood and it's known to be reliable. This Generation Legacy is considerably lighter than any generation after. It also has a much better approach angle than later legacys and even a little better than late 90's Outbacks due to the smaller bumpers. The rear seats also lay more flat than in later models.

Yeah. The unconventional ones that force you to work within confines and get creative always get interesting. Hopefully I can provide at least a little entertainment in that spirit!

Reactions: VCeXpedition

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I love Wagons! I don't know why more people don't.
Yep, me too. Learned to drive in a 1962 Ford Falcon Wagon, had a 1969 FIAT 124 Wagon (see the first page of the "First Exploring Vehicle" thread), the 2002 WRX Wagon, 2008 Outback Wagon, two hatchbacks in between, and a pickup with a cap, which was essentially a wagon. Back in the '70s, I was looking at a 1959 Pontiac Ambulance to replace my Volkswagen Beetle, but Dad put the kibosh on that. I was looking at large wagons when I decided to go the SUV route last year. I had a test drive in a $70k Mercedes E350 Wagon. I'm sure I'll have another once we get over this large vehicle craze.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Always cool to see another wagon join the ranks. The fact that it's another Subaru is just a bonus! You have the major benefit of a ton of people that came before you with that platform and shown that it's capabilities are nothing short of amazing. I hear you on the smaller aftermarket but that just makes being creative more fun. I take my Outback everywhere. The only thing that's holding the car back is that first dent haha. Looking forward to seeing your build progress.

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dude the "smaller aftermarket" is still an aftermarket though! I've got exactly 3 purpose-built products for the XC70 available to me at present [emoji24][emoji85].

They are:

IPD skidplate
IPD DEM protector
Bad Swede 2" Lift Kit

Not trying to minimize your complaint as it's completely valid, just wanted to offer a bit of perspective. Looks like Your on your way to something awesome!

Reactions: Steve
Dude the "smaller aftermarket" is still an aftermarket though! I've got exactly 3 purpose-built products for the XC70 available to me at present [emoji24][emoji85].

They are:

IPD skidplate
IPD DEM protector
Bad Swede 2" Lift Kit

Not trying to minimize your complaint as it's completely valid, just wanted to offer a bit of perspective. Looks like Your on your way to something awesome!
You're right about that...there is at least some offroad purposed aftermarket for the Legacy although most of what I've done so far was with factory Subaru parts or universal aftermarket. They don't make a lot of stuff for the 2nd Gen legacys anymore which is why it's essential for my build that this car shares so much with other Subarus.
Are there any useful crossover in parts from other Volvos?

Always cool to see another wagon join the ranks. The fact that it's another Subaru is just a bonus! You have the major benefit of a ton of people that came before you with that platform and shown that it's capabilities are nothing short of amazing. I hear you on the smaller aftermarket but that just makes being creative more fun. I take my Outback everywhere. The only thing that's holding the car back is that first dent haha. Looking forward to seeing your build progress.
Well, I definitely don't have to worry about a first dent...someone took care of that for me.

20161022_201513.jpg

Before I owned it...and the seller was nice enough to include a perfect green door. I will very likely be working on painting the door to match this winter, so I can mount it in spring.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
That'll buff right out! But seriously, I've seen some miracles done by good paintless dent remover guys on dents worse than that. At least give one a call to see if it's possible. Or if you're at all handy you could try it yourself. Takes considerable patience bit it's one option.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I love Wagons! I don't know why more people don't...they are amazing for this sort of thing. Plus I have dogs. lol.
Yeah. I drove this poor thing for almost a year with an ailing head gasket...then in the course of about 4 months I've swapped out the motor and lifted etc. and done all of this work...it doesn't feel like it's moving along very quickly...but it really is...at least compared to my other projects.
The only people who claim to not like wagons have never owned one. If I didn't need a truck (I own and occupy an 87 year old duplex) I would have an AWD wagon of some sort.

Reactions: Robert Rosendahl

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

The only people who claim to not like wagons have never owned one. If I didn't need a truck (I own and occupy an 87 year old duplex) I would have an AWD wagon of some sort.
I "downsized" from an '87 4Runner to a Volvo XC70 when we had our 2nd kid. Hasn't been as painful as I thought it would be hahaha. But then again I've always liked wagons...

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

You're right about that...there is at least some offroad purposed aftermarket for the Legacy although most of what I've done so far was with factory Subaru parts or universal aftermarket. They don't make a lot of stuff for the 2nd Gen legacys anymore which is why it's essential for my build that this car shares so much with other Subarus.
Are there any useful crossover in parts from other Volvos?
I realized after I wrote it my comment was kinda dickish. Sorry about that [emoji16]. Anyhow, because the XC70 is the most "offroad capable" Volvo of that particular generation, there isn't a ton of crossover stuff that is useful to it. The XC90 (SUV) may have some parts to make use of. I know some have used the springs from it for lifting but that's already taken care of for me. Other than that maybe axels? That's something I'll be looking into soon as I think my passenger side is on the way out. The rest is all improv and universal aftermarket

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I "downsized" from an '87 4Runner to a Volvo XC70 when we had our 2nd kid. Hasn't been as painful as I thought it would be hahaha. But then again I've always liked wagons...
I've had all sizes of things. One of my all time favorites was my '89 mercury sable wagon I picked up for $80. It did all I asked of it and still got 25 MPG.... much love for long roofs....

87 4runner? I'm a little jealous...That was my other choice for a build...but I went with the Wagon for mileage and handling reasons.

Personally I like the 1st Gen 4runners, although I've not owned one.

I've had all sizes of things. One of my all time favorites was my '89 mercury sable wagon I picked up for $80. It did all I asked of it and still got 25 MPG.... much love for long roofs....
Those are some interesting looking wagons.

I've had quite a few Sizes as well. Think the biggest was my '94 Silverado reg. Cab with 33s. There are times I really miss the v8 torque and the gearing in 4lo.

The closest thing I've had to station wagon before, was a vanagon.