Kaleb
Last Name
Hall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3SCX
Service Branch
US Space Force
The rig started out as an almost completely stock 4Runner with the infamous 3.0 liter v6. When I got it, it had a serious coolant and oil leak. After attempting to do some repairs, it quickly became apparent that it wasn't worth putting more money into a gutless engine, so I got a 3.4 swapped into it. Now it runs great and has plenty of power. Lots of modifications are planned for the future, including new bumpers, lockers and lights. I'm open to suggestions and advice on what mods are good ideas.

FB_IMG_1545586079637.jpg
The original engine

FB_IMG_1545173559094.jpg
The new engine

20181223_093526.jpg
All put together, in front of my parents' house in Idaho

Hallout

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Kaleb
Last Name
Hall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3SCX
Service Branch
US Space Force
20181002_164118.jpg
Here's one in my garage, just prior to sending it to get the engine swap. Also, the California plate on the front is a misdirect: it's registered in Idaho, and has Idaho plates, I just couldn't get the front plate off as the nut and bolt were rusted together. I'm going to take a hacksaw to the bolt later today.

Hallout

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Kaleb
Last Name
Hall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3SCX
Service Branch
US Space Force
Mod #1: Remove open air filter and deposit into the trash can. Install stock airbox.

Open air filters aren’t a good idea on overland rigs because of the dusty, wet conditions you may encounter. They may look cool to 17 yr olds, but they will be clogged/soaked on the first trip, and you’ll be hating life.

James
Caldwell, ID
Good call, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

Hallout

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Kaleb
Last Name
Hall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3SCX
Service Branch
US Space Force
The timing belt is brand new, yeah. I have 31s on it right now, but I'm not sure how intense I'll be getting so I'm going to see how the all terrains it's got hold up.

Reactions: Old Griz

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

Mod #1: Remove open air filter and deposit into the trash can. Install stock airbox.

Open air filters aren’t a good idea on overland rigs because of the dusty, wet conditions you may encounter. They may look cool to 17 yr olds, but they will be clogged/soaked on the first trip, and you’ll be hating life.

James
Caldwell, ID
I had challenges with my K&N Cold Air Intake (It was there when I bought it.. long story). I ended up getting an aftermarket MAF (JET 69148 Mass Air Sensor). After that, tip top. I do stress every time I come across water, though.